Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

The official UNOFFICIAL thread of Tamiya Frog - LB strikes again!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The official UNOFFICIAL thread of Tamiya Frog - LB strikes again!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM
grumppee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The official UNOFFICIAL thread of Tamiya Frog - LB strikes again!!

Thanks Lunchboxer.

I really do enjoy building Tamiya kits, although I'm not fond of the painting and decals. [:@] I have a Buggy Champ Gold Edition still in the box, paint not required.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 PM
res3567

Yes it does....the Grasshopper/SandScorcher paddle tiresare the ultimate when it comes to versatility. However, the front ribbed tires are prone to wear out quicker on the street, so I went with a set of Brat type tires that fit the narrow stock Frog wheels and they are awesom! Stay tuned....I aint done yet and I got tons of upgrade parts coming down the line to make her more durable, faster and stronger. When it is all said and done, I will have enough spare parts for a semi build of another car.....Frog or Brat and this one will be basically stock. I also need to get my Super Champ restored as well....TOOOO MANY TOYS! But I love the challenge of building and repairing my vehicles.
ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: Willybomb

Looks cool with the Jato wheels. How did it run with them on (before it snapped an axel, yeah)?
Thank god the rear axles are cheap. Otherwise the car has stood up to alot of abuse.
I bet it drives even better with the grasshopper tires on the back. I heard those tires even
though they are shaped weird work on alot of surfaces. I hate wearing down knobbies then
they are useless in grass.[:@]
Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM
sherwooa

res - that's awesome what you've done so far. How is the gearbox holding up under all that extra power? Any diff grinding? May have to try those paddle tires at some point. I still haven't worn out the new set of knobbies I bought for my resto, though admittedly I haven't run much - mostly in the basement and once in the snow a couple of weeks ago. The snow run was a lot of fun and seemed to do no real damage.

BTW - to an earlier post regarding letting your 11 yr old niece run the Frog - I've been letting my 7.5 yr old daughter run mine in the basement and it's been good for her to learn. Even with the rebrushed Yokomo superstock motor, she is learning to handle it and accelerate carefully. And if it breaks, well, it's as fun to rebuild and fix them as it is to run them, if not moreso!

Enjoy those Frogs...
Old 02-02-2011, 08:14 PM
res3567

I finally put those CRPrear armmounts on for added rigidity. The wheels don't spin as freely off the ground by hand which means the trailing arms are closer to the gearbox. No grinding at all....and I don't turn at high speed. I just put a 7.4 Lipo pack to it and now it does wheelies.....at half throttle and up....from a slow rolling start!I aint done yet......I still have the Thorp diff. to put in and I just picked up a set of CRP front shock mounts. I am also converting to 2.2 inch wheels I got off Ebay froma Blackfoot and a Wild One. I have replaced the rear shocks withthe front shocks off ofa Traxxas Rustler. I thenplan on putting the stock rear shocks on the front with the CRP mounts. Alot of work in progress including a TON af trial and error. New challenge, a wheelie bar for the car.........
Old 02-20-2011, 02:07 AM
TTerbo

ok i should get my parts in a week or so
then i can fix my frog yay
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM
miguelmf97

ORIGINAL: dirkd7999

I will have to check the video out when I get home... YouTube is blocked at work... which is probably a good thing in the long run....

Just use some proxy man.. you can find some proxy sites to unblock.. just type youtube.com in box
enjoy

Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 PM
res3567

Anybody have experience with a Thorp differential? Mine keeps slipping badly...any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:22 PM
oldfrog
My Feedback: (1)

Okay folks, I'm a new member on here and I found this thread to be great. I'm still trying to catch
up with the 78 pages yet.

Okay, I have a question, has anyone ever tried to remove ALL paint from a lexon body ?, assuming
that it was painted with Tamiya paint for plastics. I have an old Frog of which the body could use a
new paint job and I would like to remove the old paint.

Thank you,
Now I just have to try and find out how to save this thread.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:55 PM
res3567

I have never removed paint from a lexan body....outside of it comming off during a crash....but to save this thread.....copy and paste the URL(THE HTTP://...... AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE)to your favorites.......and.....WELCOME! Glad to have you!
ORIGINAL: oldfrog

Okay folks, I'm a new member on here and I found this thread to be great. I'm still trying to catch

Okay, I have a question, has anyone ever tried to remove ALL paint from a lexon body ?, assuming
that it was painted with Tamiya paint for plastics. I have an old Frogof whichthe body could use a

Thank you,

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 PM
ElectricGuy007

So you can buy a Brat and convert it over to a frog? All you would need is buggy tires and a body right?
Basically you could have a 2 in one vechicle...heheh...ideas..
Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 PM
res3567

Yes this is true but you gotta change the front body mount for sure....not sure about the side mounts....but everything else is the same.....wheels and tires are a perfect fit.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM
res3567

OK.....I asked the question in the General Forum for you and this is what I got........
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10368010/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: oldfrog

that it was painted with Tamiya paint for plastics. I have an old Frogof whichthe body could use a

Thank you,

Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 PM
oldfrog
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you res3657, I took a look at the forum you had posted for me and seen one suggestion with using alcohol, I'll try that on
a small area as well as the DOT 4 brake fluid that I'd seen else where. I guess that I should have nosed around a little more on
this site before I posted I here.
I'll have a new re-issued Frog showing up anytime now and I'll use a scrap piece of flash from the new body and try different things
out on that. If I find good results using different methods, I'll be sure and post my finding on here.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
ElectricGuy007

Well I would say a damp rag in gasoline should remove the paint, although I dont know how the plastic
would like unleaded gasoline. After the paint is removed you can use soap and water to remove excess
residue buildup. I also heard of people dipping the shell in acetone. Anyone else hear that?
The only method I have tried is using a non-rough light sanding tool on my dremel to remove paint.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 AM
TTerbo

ok,
i Rebuilt my 25> Year old tamiya frog and it works
although when its zooming uphill or turning hard their is a lound crunching noise coming from the gearbox,
i opened it up and none of the gears are stripped (or stripping) and their is no crap in the gearbox jamming it up.
i think its the axle.... any ideas?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 AM
res3567

Probably the axles. Those old hex style dogbones were prone to stripping. You need to upgrade to the new re-release dogbones/axles which are much better.....

This is what you are going to need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TAMIYA-SUBAR...item1e61ffa53f
Old 03-07-2011, 01:55 AM
TTerbo

OK, anyway to know if it is the dogbone axle,...or the thing in the gearbox the axle slides into?

Secondly do you know a website that i can get the cheapest....
1. Dogbone axle
2. New front tires for the frog
3. A Re-Release frog kit / preferably with the TX-RX and ESC
(preferable from one site to cut down on shipping and loosing items etc...)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:32 PM
res3567

Check Ebay. I sent you a link for the dogbones/axles. They have re-release kits available from Japan, China, US, and maybe England.....and front tires from thr US and Japan.....

The axle set includes the dogbone and the axles.....both.....that slideinto the gearbox.....and that go onto the trailing arms...that the rearwheels are attatched to.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:39 PM
res3567

Here is a kit from the US.....with free shipping.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tamiya-Frog-...item5ade3fa93e

Front tires from Japan....

http://cgi.ebay.com/9805033-Tamiya-H...item588cb15f24
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
res3567

Look at this link....which shows all of the links to the Frog and like vehicles.....

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 PM
TTerbo

ok im thinking...once i sell this camera im going to buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamiya-58354-RC-...item4cf4fd9e23

http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-HO-BAO-2-4-...item2eb3a71e79

http://cgi.ebay.com/9805033-Tamiya-H...item588cb15f24

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TAMIYA-SUBAR...item1e61ffa53fthe dogbone CV shafts

what do you think?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
res3567

All good choices.....so you gone be packin two Frogs?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:42 PM
TTerbo

Yeah
the guy at theRC hobby shop said i should race my frog, but the old one is a bit too fragile at the moment, and i want to build a frog just like my dad did

Another thing is that i dont think my steering servo turns as far as it should? any way to fix that?

Oh and one last thing, how should i be mounting the ESC and the recieiver inside the frog? i have cable ties at the moment?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:35 PM
res3567

The radio has a D/R knob.....which limits the amount of servo travel.....turn the knob to see if that helps....assuming you have a brand new servo. Race your Frog? Against what? Other old school Tamiya vehicles? This is a 20+ year old design and if you are racing on an off road track with current modern vehicles....the Frog will not be much of a match. The ESC is suppose to be mounted on the side ofsteering servo with strong double sided tape.....and the reciever is suppose to be mounted inside the chassis right behind the steering servo on the silver plate also with strong double sided tape.....
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
TTerbo

OK cool
although sometimes after driving, the steering becomes un aligned and would veer left/right etc etc...
anyhow the frog is awesome
If i get the new one, will it be good enough to race in comps against new buggies if i upgrade the motor etc?
cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.