Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

UNOFFICAL Tamiya Blackfoot Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 03:09 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: UNOFFICAL Tamiya Blackfoot Thread

great trucks guys , if you are having problems with the gear box try the wild dagger gearbox there more or less indestrucatable . i have seen guys running clod wheels on the dagger , with no issues . .. but not sure if there a direct swap , ???... thanks .
Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

on a different note i found this on the tamiya forum , this guy is using a old msc speedo beefed up to with stand 14.4 volts and a hpi gt 550 motor in his blackfoot check out the video .... although very short it shows what you can do with this r/c ..[link]http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=89018&id=15781[/link]
Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 PM
KS Sodbuster

I havent broken any thing (yet) in fact I hadn't had the chance to assemble the BFX yet. Been to busy pushing my Kenworth down the highway earning a living.  I was thinking of upgrades from the start as a precautionary measure  knowing I will want to get rowdy from time to time. but being I want to get it up and running for the first time, it will be assembled without upgrades from day one. Just cant wait! Its really sad[] We have 6 RC hobby shops in my area and not one of them carries Tamiya or parts for tamiya or let alone speaks the name...  So mail /Internet  order is the only choice for my needs. I have always dared to be different.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:47 PM
KS Sodbuster

WOW!is that too cool or what?! The wheelie bars are unique being they used air craft wheels . two batterys hmmm
One tough Mudder.
thanks for the link.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: yaleforscale

on a different note i found this on the tamiya forum , this guy is using a old msc speedo beefed up to with stand 14.4 volts and a hpi gt 550 motor in his blackfoot check out the video .... although very short it shows what you can do with this r/c ..[link]http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=89018&id=15781[/link]
too bad that isn't the bfx

Old 05-22-2009, 04:04 PM
yaleforscale
Banned

ORIGINAL: Stampede Killer

ORIGINAL: yaleforscale

too bad that isn't the bfx

CORRECT its a black foot , iam sure it say blackfoot thread here some were .
Old 05-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Krazy Chicken

yeah i know, i have a super blackfoot, i just need the king blackfoot(which that is) and the original blackfoot which i might have to recreate for cheaper using a tamiya brat
Old 05-26-2009, 08:59 AM
natedog_37

Just got a blackfoot for free.

Put in new ESC, Servo, and 16T motor

Flipped it and broke all 3 body moutns. This is a true 1980's blackfoot what are you guys using for body mount since they no longer make the K, or J parts?

This thing was mind I should have know better!!! Kicking my self now.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 AM
natedog_37

Also cracked the rear rim. What rims will fit this truck?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Krazy Chicken

well their is 4 different versions of this truck, im thinking you have the very first version made, so you could use the rear arms off of the tamiya frog or brat, and for body mounts you will have to search ebay for those
Old 05-26-2009, 06:56 PM
KS Sodbuster

Just got my BFX together chassis wise, painted the body letting the freshpaint cure. I took the chassis out for a spin with the stock motor and the 18T pinion. Farto under powered for me... I ordered the sport tuned tamiya RS540 along with a 20T pinion. I sure hope that warms it up. If nottime for more drastic measures. I painted mine John Deere green being the stock wheels look really close to JD yellow. Need to print off some yellow decalsin a #28 text "Run's like a Deere" for the uper bed sides and"No it aint a Hemi"for the tail gate.Along with my "Sodbuster" namebelow the window in small #9 text on the drivers door. You guessed it ! John Deere is popular here in the Midwest farming region. hey its all for fun...
Old 05-29-2009, 04:15 PM
Krazy Chicken

under powered in what way?? cant wait to see it

Old 05-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Krazy Chicken

here is how my super blackfoot sits right now, kinda sad
Old 05-29-2009, 05:49 PM
KS Sodbuster

Well, it 's a lot slower then my 8 year old grandsons stampede in 50/50 training mode.not real zippy... After a week has gone by etamiya just sent me an email they have dropped my new sport tuned tamiya rs540 in the mail at the Hong Kong post office. [:@]Here comes the slow boat from china syndrome. I should have bought one locally.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:56 PM
KS Sodbuster

Ive been running the BFX the motor seems to be getting broke in it runs circles around the Grandsons stampede being set in 50/50 training mode. He was so upset he quit practicing all together. Time for a pep talk on practice. I do have some comments on two products related to my BFX.First, Testors decal paper for ink jet printers. [:'(]dont bother! Just spend the bucks on laser jet decal paper & make a CD or floppy with your settings and take it to Kinkos. they can print them off for 99cents a sheet.Then you will get the results you want. I did try an "Tamiya upgrade" I found a set of 50519 oil filled shocks/dampeners , Iinstalled heavy springs, heavy oil, and the stiff plunger bleed the air out installed them and the rear of the BFX and it dropped a half of an inch! [X(]What a waste of money. The stock units were quickly reinstalled . Not a real inspiring weekend when I honestly thought these two different products would enhance the looks and performance. I expect nothing different from the Sport tuned RS 540 Tamiya can thats soon to come that way I wont be disappointed if its a flop. I hadbetter do some reading in this thread for the right fit of can so I dontshell the Trans axle.Comments welcomed for inspiration!

Should of could of would of applies here...

Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 PM
KS Sodbuster

Is there a how to on posting pictures on this forum?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:28 PM
KS Sodbuster

Took the BFX out for a spin this evening. The MA2 3x14 mm step screw fell out into the lawn The B1 part that holds the B9 in place. In every day terms, The spindle is hanging on by one lousy screw. I have ordered a parts bag "A" so a repair can be made. It looks to me that the spindle could be drilled through to allow a machine bolt and lock nut assembly to be installed without the "Tamiya special screw" the pesky, MA2 3x14mm step screw. NUTS!!!

BTW, has anyone ever had problems with the factory wheels? My rims spin inside the tires.. (Factory assembled.) Needs Glueso what kind CA?

As my posts before this hasnt been a very promising weekend.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Krazy Chicken

i haven't had any problems with mine except for broken body mount, but that was from jumping it off a 4ft wall and landing on the rear of the body, and yeah you may want to glue your tires, i used to take mine mudding and then the tires stopped grabbing, and the rims were spinning inside the tires...
Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM
KS Sodbuster

LOL ! A 4' wall!! wow that must have been something to see.   I found my lost screw after ordering new ones. I now will have spares.  scoured 1/4 acre of grass and dirt.  Hmm, maybe if I spin the tires fast enough in the rims with a enormous motor they might get hot enough and stick!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:09 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow 24 pages.
Ok Ijust picked up an almost new original Blackfoot that needs a little help. Is there an online assembly manual? How about parts availability? Ican not be certain what parts are missing until Isee a manual . However the steering servo saver assy is in pieces.
I am a long time fan of Tamiya since I bought my first way back in the day, a Grasshopper. Loved that thing. Thanks. Jeff
Old 06-08-2009, 04:58 PM
jeffie8696

Follow up, Ifound the manual online but here is an interesting problem. The steering mechanism is like the Tamiya Subaru. It is attached to the frame and doesn't use the servo saver attached to the servo. However the back half is like the Blackfoot ,with vertical shocks. Maybe a kitbash?
I cobbled something toether to make it work.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM
KS Sodbuster

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Wow 24 pages.
Ok Ijust picked up an almost new original Blackfoot that needs a little help. Is there an online assembly manual? How about parts availability? Ican not be certain what parts are missing until Isee a manual . However the steering servo saver assy is in pieces.
I am a long time fan of Tamiya since I bought my first way back in the day, a Grasshopper. Loved that thing. Thanks. Jeff
Jeff, Do trytry thetamiya sitehttp://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58384 You can view the manuals in a pdf file.in the upperright corner there is a box that says "product file" click that it will take you the manual for t he brat( same chassis as the first edition blackfoot)The original blackfoot was based on a Frog chassis. The same as for the Subaru Brat as well .Featured in this fileis the new "re- release"manual of the brat with updated parts some minor changes( front shocks and some parts are now metal instaed of nylon) but the same design basically forwhat yourinquiring about . My brother has an original Brat Mud blaster and he didnt install the servo saver on hissteering mechanism either.I aintsure if thats such a good decision leaveing it out... Anyway,I recently purchased spare parts formy brothers original Tamiya Subaru Brat mud blaster. Here is whereI found a few new steering parts trees and other miscparts you might needat www.ultimatehobbies.com .Check the ebay stores& auctions also.
.Best regards... Bob
Old 06-09-2009, 12:38 PM
jeffie8696

KS thanks for the link. Ithink Ican get it running now, just needs a servo (this one is in pretty bad shape). Imight get a new servo for my plane and put my used one on this truck.
Just need to finish up installing the electronics and it is ready to go.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 AM
KS Sodbuster

I seem to have a real pet peeve with the BFX. The servo saver... The screw that holds the servo saver keeps coming loose. I have used thread locker  on the screws threads thinking I had the problem solved? Nope...  just like before, the darn thing came loose again.  Any suggestions. Yes there is a lock washer on it as well. The servo is futaba.
 [:@] Removing the front suspension after every run session is getting old very quickly.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:20 PM
ShoestringRacer

Here is a video of my original Blackfoot doing some jumps and bouncing around on the beach!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHRuHrSPxxA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.