Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:31 AM
crtlndbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler Upgrades

Im looking to upgrade my rustler with some new alloy peices. Do these upgrades slow your car down because they are heavier than the plastics that come stock, or would you recommend graphite. Any suggestions will be helpful. thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM
GeekyLotus

Default RE: Rustler Upgrades

I will give you my layman's point of view, and the experts can correct me.

I am gradually replacing parts on my car with aluminum because I am running a brushless motor. As I see it, yes, I am adding weight by buying the aluminum parts but the negative impact of the aluminum parts' weight is offset by the extra power, and I can't help but think that it helps me plant some of the power in loose dirt. I like the fact that there is zero flex in many of the parts, and I have actually spoken with someone that told me that transmission failures, etc. can actually be attributed as much to that flex in transmission casing materials as it can to gear materials. Keep in mind that is second hand, but the guy struck me as quite knowledgable.

As far as graphite, I have heard that while it is light, it can snap. Only really good drivers should consider it.

There is the carbon fiber route, and from what I have heard, it is both very light and very strong, and I believe the prices can be comparable (well, just a little higher) to high end billet aluminum pieces.

Not all aluminum is created equal. Keep in mind that aluminum pieces are either cast or CNC machined from aluminum *alloys*, meaning that there are other metals mixed with the aluminum. That alters the properties of the metal. I have heard of some aluminum pieces being inferior to plastic.

-T-
Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM
sloppyG

the vast majority of RC "hop ups"

are purely for "style"
and are in many cases poorly/cheaply made and worse than stock parts
Old 11-28-2007, 12:22 PM
snellemin

Fast Lane Aluminum is light and strong. Comes with great warranty to boot. The first upgrade I would do on a brushless rustler is swapping the bulkhead and transmission with the Aluminum counterpart from FLM. As mentioned before, the plastic case can't handle obscene amount of torque well. There is just too much flex. The added benefit is the extra weight for traction. Adding a tie bar is great as well.

Now if you staying with brushed motors, then just the bulkhead makes sense to upgrade.

Does weight matter? Well how about I keep up/beat Jato's+4Tecs with my all aluminum rustler, which is a bit heavier then a nitro 4tec.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
GeekyLotus

I had not mentioned who I order from, but same as snellemin, I use Fast Lane Machine parts. They use high grade aluminum, and as mentioned, the warranty on their parts is awesome. Basically, they will replace their stuff for the cost of shipping regardless of how it gets damaged. As far as ordering, I am partial to getting their stuff from addicted2rc.com. They don't charge extra for shipping, although they do require Paypal for the ordering process. They ship next day generally, also, and they always seem to have their parts in stock. To be honest, the owner of addicted2rc is the one that told me about the transmission case flex. He actually spoke to me on the phone. Very cool guy.

(Edit : wrong URL)

-T-
Old 11-28-2007, 12:47 PM
snellemin

That tranny flex was very noticable when I started running brushless. Spurs wear being eaten left and right at almost every landing. Not anymore after the upgrade. I forgot to mention that the aluminum tranny acts as giant heatsink, which helps alot with dissipating heat from the cheaper built brushless motors.

BTW I have used the FLM warranty twice and both times were basically the cost of them shipping the parts to me.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 PM
barefootdan

so what about those aluminum from towerhobbies
i think it is called Integy

i too want aluminum parts and i dont care abou tthe weight cuz i got the vxl motor
Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 PM
sloppyG

never buy integy.....
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
GeekyLotus

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

never buy integy.....

I have heard that same thing. Plastic parts are better.

Integy's piggyback shocks are popular, however.

-T-
Old 11-28-2007, 03:08 PM
snellemin

The integy rustler upperdeck is pretty stout. I am using the integy Bellcranks and have no issues with them.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: GeekyLotus

never buy integy.....

-T-

french fries are also popular, but it doesn't mean they're healthy
Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Always Dreamin

plastic parts are definetly the way to go. aluminum is all for looks. sure it's durable, but it's cheaper just to get plastic. they don't even break that much.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Slo-V Flyer

I run a brushless Rustler with mostly all stock plastic chassis parts. The only non-stock parts are plastic Nitro Rustler front axle/caster blocks for running extra wider and the fiberglass Nitro Hawk front shock tower. I have broken a couple of caster blocks from bad cartwheels, but nothing else really. Of course I don't jump it much either so that could be the reason why I don't break as many parts. But yeah, aluminum is usually just to add some "bling" to your truck and usually the part won't break but then will transfer the impact down to the next plastic part that will break instead.

I recommend that you get some RPM parts like the front bumper and maybe the suspension a-arms or 5x11 bearing hubs and your truck will be a little stronger.

Also, you want to get the alloy/steel idler gear since the plastic one WILL strip soon enough even from stock power and bad landings...and since you will have brushless it will strip just driving straight.

Basically, just get a few key components in aluminum, and keep the rest plastic, so your truck will be strong but still light. Don't forget that the heavier it is, the more impact it will incur and possibly do more damage to itself and anything the truck hits...
Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 PM
barefootdan

strip my idle gear the first day
Old 11-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: barefootdan

strip my idle gear the first day
yeah. i'm suprized mine lasted so long. yours probbibly stripped due to the vxl tho
Old 11-30-2007, 03:54 PM
GeekyLotus

ORIGINAL: GeekyLotus

never buy integy.....

-T-

french fries are also popular, but it doesn't mean they're healthy

But I think it's fair to say that word of mouth would have gained a reputation for those parts and impacted the popularity if there were issues, yes?

<edit> Further research tells me that there are both camps for the piggybacks. Looks like it is up in the air.</edit>

-T-