Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

store NiMh charged or should i discharge them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:19 AM
keepontruckin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default store NiMh charged or should i discharge them?

How should i store my NiMh packs, charged or discharged??

thanx
Old 12-01-2007, 10:22 AM
iamnot

Default RE: store NiMh charged or should i discharge them?

charged
and check the charge on them every couple of weeks
storing them discharged is a sure way to kill them
Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 PM
keepontruckin

k

thanx
Old 12-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Bigshades

there are a few theories for storing nimh batteries.

1.) store them at 100% charge
2.) store them at 50-80% charged
3.) short them out.

the last 2 cause lots of controversy, but are some things people do. the idea of leaving a Nimh partially discharged/shorted is that it will have a higher voltage when initially charged. this is actually true, but at the cost of the life of the cells. I see many hardcore racers doing this, and they arent havving too many problems. but keep in mind that they are very experienced, and know what they are doing. and ALSO note that shorting/leaving partially charged is done for ONE WEEK OR LESS. further than that and yes, the cell will take Significant Damage.

charging at 100% before storage is best for very long periods of time. if you're leaving town for a month, then this is what you do.
trickle charge slowly at 100-200 mah. the idea is to let it slowly "sip" its capacity in on its own, and not cram it in. that way the capacity stays in it. then when it is done charging, store in an insulated container, at room tempurature.

I would suggest for the basher/ocasional racer to STORE AT 100%. And after storage, discharge then charge again before running.
Please do NOT attempt to short a battery for storage unless you really understand what you are doing.