Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

A NiMH-Safe automatic discharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 04:12 PM
AresROC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A NiMH-Safe automatic discharger

Since I have learned NiMH batteries can be discharged once in a while to condition it, I decided to build a little unit to play around with:

Other than the breadboard I already have, the parts altogether costs less than $20. It can be configured to auto shut-off at 6v for 6 cells, or 8v for 8 cells. It has 5 white LED's to discharge the battery and it also has 3 LED's to indicate voltage level.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45706.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	817012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34401.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	817013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19562.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	817014  
Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 PM
mindwreck

Default RE: A NiMH-Safe automatic discharger

wow nice unit. wish i could make something liek that but i sucked in my EE classes... do you plan on extending the 5leds? discharging them at such a low amp rate won't help too much..
Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 PM
brushlessboy16

thats sweett!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 PM
AresROC

Thanks it's probably overkill for something you can buy for ~$20 at tower but it's fun building it. I just found the circuit on the internet and played around with it. Yes I can add a 5w block resistor and make it a little desktop heater.

Like this one Tower has:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUE23&P=7

I am a CS geek never attended one day of EE class so if anyone else wants to build it he should be able to! Here is the write-up I found I lost the link so credit is due to whoever designed this nice little circuit:

Many low-cost and portable systems, including small consumer electronic products, operate from unregulated power supplies such as batteries or external, plug-in “power bricks.” These power sources sometimes produce lower-than-nominal output voltages—either through normal battery discharge, “brownouts,” or simply connecting the wrong “brick” to the system. When supply voltage drops below a minimum threshold, it’s often good practice to disconnect the supply from the system to prevent poor performance or erratic operation.

The circuit shown accomplishes this with minimal cost, board space, and complexity (see the figure). In addition, the active components are available in tiny, “SOT-23” packages. IC1 is an LM4041 adjustable voltage reference that serves here as a programmable voltage detector. It does this by operating in an unconventional configuration. Typically, the LM4041 develops a voltage between its positive and negative terminals that forces 1.24 V between its “+” and “ADJ” pins. With R3 in the circuit, however, IC1’s “-” pin will be near ground when the voltage across R1 is less than 1.24 V, and about a volt below V+ when the voltage across R1 is greater than 1.24 V.

When the supply voltage is in the normal operating range (above about 4.6 V in the circuit shown), the voltage across R1 will be greater than 1.24 V. This pulls the LM4041’s “-” pin high, turning on the npn, which then turns on the p-channel MOSFET by pulling its gate low. In this condition, power is supplied to the load through the p-channel device.

When the supply voltage drops below the normal operating range, the LM4041’s “-” pin goes low, turning off the npn and the MOSFET pass device, which removes power from the load. R4 provides hysteresis to avoid supply modulation near the switching threshold.

By selecting R1 and R2 properly, you can choose the threshold voltage to fit the needs of your system according to:

R2/R1 = (Vlow/1.24 V) − 1

where Vlow is the low-voltage shutoff threshold. By proper choice of R1 and R2, this circuit will work well for shut-off voltages in the range of about 4.5 to 10 V. The lower limit is determined by the pass FET’s threshold voltage and the upper limit is determined by IC1’s maximum supply-voltage rating. Higher cutoff voltages can be accommodated with minor circuit changes. The maximum supply voltage for the circuit shown is approximately 30 V.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36210.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	817213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90506.gif
Views:	9
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	817214  
Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Nerf
My Feedback: (1)

Pretty nifty idea![8D]
Old 12-02-2007, 11:14 PM
Access

http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn3182.pdf
This is the one I use, same concept but totally different applications.
Conceptually it is not a useless circuit, variations of this basic circuit are used in low-loss solar power charging applications or the like. And replace the supervisor with a comparator and you have the classic "bang-bang" circuit. Anytime you can replace a series diode with a MOSFET, you eliminate a voltage drop across the diode. In many modern applications you are using voltages between 1.8V and 3.3V, so even the drop across a schottky diode can be 10% or more efficiency loss.