Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Does gear pitch matter when selecting pinions??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:26 PM
RCJesse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does gear pitch matter when selecting pinions??

I got a stock XL-5 rustler and would like to lower the pinion to run short distances and do wheelies. Do I have to buy 48 Pitch pinion gears (which is what rustler have stock) or is it safe to get 32P pinions? I stopped the hobby for a while and now I have more time but forgot a little about it in 6 months. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Always Dreamin

Default RE: Does gear pitch matter when selecting pinions??

ORIGINAL: RCJesse

I got a stock XL-5 rustler and would like to lower the pinion to run short distances and do wheelies. Do I have to buy 48 Pitch pinion gears (which is what rustler have stock) or is it safe to get 32P pinions? I stopped the hobby for a while and now I have more time but forgot a little about it in 6 months. Thanks.
you need to stay 48 pitch. unless you want to transfer the spur into a 32p also.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I tried to find 32-pitch spur gears that would be small enough to fit the Rusty, but have not been able to so far. The smallest one I've seen is 64 teeth, and I use that in my E-Maxx. It is still too large to fit in the Rustler because it hits the bottom drive shaft output. Even then, I would need a very small 32-p pinion, and 10-12 teeth is the smallest I've seen which are still kinda big. Still, a 54-58t spur is what I want but can't find one yet.

Just know if you do use 32 p gears, it will be more noisy.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:19 PM
Access

You cannot mix and match different pitches for the pinion and spur gear. For 1/10th scale stick with 48p. 32p is for monster trucks like the E-maxx and 64p is for 1/18th scale. If you use a pinion that doesn't match the spur in terms of pitch, you will damage the spur gear very quickly.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:53 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Yeah I forgot to mention that you can't mix different pitch gears with each other, i.e. you will need the same pitch pinion/spur gear. So when I said I wanted to try a 32p spur gear in my Rustler, that went without saying that I was going to use a 32p pinion gear as well. Hope that clears it up.