Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ESC + turns limit for motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:45 PM
nikg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC + turns limit for motors

What is the determining factor in the lower limit of turns an ESC can handle? For example, why is an ESC only rated down to say a 15T motor but not below? Is it mainly a current draw issue? The fewer the turns the more current the motor draws? Or is this only part of the picture or not at all in the reason at all?

If it is a current issue, then can one use a 12T motor on an esc rated to 15T provided the gearing is mild? (small pinion and/or big spur gear)
Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
cheech4

Default RE: ESC + turns limit for motors

no you will fry your ESC doing that. always respect the turn limits in a esc. im not technical but i have experimented.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:07 PM
nikg

Thanks cheech.

Anybody technical out there? Not that I don't trust you, Cheech. I will observe the rules, but now I'm just curious about the explanation.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

ORIGINAL: nikg

What is the determining factor in the lower limit of turns an ESC can handle? For example, why is an ESC only rated down to say a 15T motor but not below? Is it mainly a current draw issue? The fewer the turns the more current the motor draws? Or is this only part of the picture or not at all in the reason at all?

If it is a current issue, then can one use a 12T motor on an esc rated to 15T provided the gearing is mild? (small pinion and/or big spur gear)

It sounds like you have it all right. The 12 turn motor would be ok in a lightweight or mild geared set-up. Different esc's may be closer to the rating than others of course.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:22 PM
nikg

So it is mostly a current thing? Lighter vehicle, short gearing, easy throttle, higher turns all translate into fewer amps drawn.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

YES. If you were to put your foot on vehicle and stall it WOT then none of that stuff would come into play of course. But yes, all those things you mention will allow you to "get away with it"

Don't tell me you are able to slow down though [] knowing there's more power there available [X(]
Old 12-05-2007, 12:48 AM
paintstikker

ESCs are rated by AMPS, but now they are rated in the T of the motors; the manufacturers do the math for you.

Now think of this, the Checkpoint 19t motor has so much power, it pulls many A. I can't really run it on a 17T limit ESC, because it pulls the amount of A a standard 15t motor would. Those Venom Fireball motors don't pull many A, as they aren't of a great quality (they pull them, alright, but not as much as a standard T motor compared to).

The TEU-101BK is rated at 27T, but many people usually run down to 21T. Some are better than others, though, and people get away with 15t. If I were to use a lower quality, lower current drawing motor on the ESC, even though rated at say 15t, it would probably run at a 17t, so the ESC is "taking it". Then again your quality of the ESC comes into play, which is why I referenced to a TEU-101BK since depending on the batch made it can run from a 27 to 15t.

So I'd say a Futaba MC230CR can handle a 19t motor, though it has a 20T limit. A Novak XRS can't handle past it's limit, at 15T, as it is a budget ESC. I could probably run 10T on a 12T Rooster w/ 6 cells, or 9 cells on one with a 15T motor, if I disabled the BEC (battery wise). I know I'm drifting off topic, but I guess it helps making a point.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 PM
nikg

So, what ESC's are good yet inexpensive? Iknow, I know, they don't usually go together, but indulge me. How about some suggestions for handling a typical 21T motor, 6-7cells and has reverse? What kind of A rating should I be looking for to fit these criteria? Also, should I be looking at peak Amps or continuous?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:00 PM
DriftingDragon

what will happen if i run a 16t esc and a 15t motor
Old 12-05-2007, 10:51 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i found some great no limit ecs's for really cheap u have to get them from the uk but even with shipping they are half the price they are called ripmax esc's i run one on my 9turn speedgems and one on my 10 turn reedy motor with 7 cells and have never had any heat problems ive had bolth of the esc's for over 4 years
Old 12-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Duratrax makes some decent ESC for the price. I have used there 12T and 8T Intellispeed reversing ESCs and have run them at or very close to their limits, using 6 and 7 cells. The Streak can handle 12 turn motors on 10 cell Nimh, but has no reverse, just brakes, but it only costs < $40.