Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Shorted out ESC

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:29 AM
ryin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorted out ESC

After driving my ruslter around in the snow my xl-5 esc stopped working right, so i took it inside checked it out, and started to work fine. (maybe some moisture messed something up) put everything back together and had it sitting on the ground. After about 10 minutes I hear a psssssttttt sound, look and my car is smoking! The battery was smoking and all the plastic was melting off the cells. I quickly disconnected the battery from the esc as both battery and motor wires fell off, realizing my esc started melting. nothing was on, only had the battery plugged into the esc as I have done numerouse times before. Somehow something shorted out damaging my 6cell battery and esc ugghhh. heres a pic of the damage to esc
Old 12-05-2007, 12:40 AM
paintstikker

Default RE: Shorted out ESC

Well what happened was most likely nothing to do with moisture. If there was moisture, it would only damage your ESC or Rx; and they would just stop operating until you opened up the case and got all the moisture out.

Now it could be one of your cells blew up, also affecting the ESC. It could have reversed it's polarity, overheated, punctured, or anything, but it doesn't sound like any of those the way you described it.

One of your ESC FETs might have shorted by having something metal contact both, or more than one, but it wasn't on so it couldn't have done anything. The way your ESC overheated it sounds like that, but it's not.

The only thing I can think of that caused that was a bad pack, or the battery wasn't connected the right way. Something doesn't happen like that just because of water, your electronics will merely stop working.

Do you have a pic of the battery? Maybe I can determine what it is if I can see what the battery looked like.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 AM
ryin

i'll try to get a pic of the battery, it was a tenergy 6 cell 3800mAh battery
Old 12-06-2007, 10:29 PM
ryin

heres the battery
Old 12-07-2007, 12:56 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: ryin

heres the battery
that almost looks like the ESC shorted, and then it got the battery really hot, try poping open the ESC, if there is a BIG burn mark + burnt smell = FET shorted = ESC DEAD[&o]
Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 AM
j.m.

at least now you can go brushless!

look on the bright side of things.