Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Choosing correct ESC

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:47 PM
ryin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing correct ESC

When it comes to the amp rating of an ESC, that is just how much current it can handle from the motor draw right? does it have anything to do with speed? as for finding a motor that will work with a ESC do you need to know how much current the motor will draw at full throttle to determine the correct ESC or can you just choose any motor that falls in the ESC motor turn range i.e. a ESC that has a 15T/ 15 Amp rating, 4.8-9.6V, can any motor be used as long as it does not exceed 15turns? does a battery current drain rate affect the amp rating of an esc? would a battery that has a 40 amp drain rate work with a 15 amp esc?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 PM
ryin

Default RE: Choosing correct ESC

anybody?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:40 PM
d16z6

To be on the safe side I'd just stick with the motor turn limit recommendations (unless you feel like experimenting). The ESC is usually rated to handle so and so amps at a continuous draw. It doesn't mean it can't take higher bursts though (like the amp spikes from a 0 mph acceleration).

If your stressing the ESC too much usually it'll build up a lot of heat that it should thermally shut down (if it has that feature) or else it'll just keep on cooking till something breaks.

Think of the ESC as a doorway between the motor and the battery.

I don't know all the details your asking but I'd just play it by hand and check temps every now and then.

Don't overgear the motor because that'll keep the motor lingering in the slower rpm's during acceleration and that will cause higher amp draws.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:00 PM
ryin

basically, right now i have a 17turn trinity speed gem motor and my xl-5 esc, which draws shorted out had a rating of 100A continous draw and 15 turn limit. im wondering if a 15 turn/ 15 amp will still work with this motor or do i need a esc with a higher amp rating