Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

IS MY STAMPEDE DIFF LOOSE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Always Dreamin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS MY STAMPEDE DIFF LOOSE?

Today I was just out driving the pede. I put 2 battery packs through it, and the tempature at the end of the second was 124 degrees. Geared 19/86 with the vxl. It was wet outside so I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but everytime I went into a sharp corner one of the back tires would lift up and the other would baloon like crazy. Then it would catch up and go. It would wheelie normal and when I put some dirt in front of it it would burn out. Is my diff loose? I know if it is I can go on www.misbehavin-rc.com but I was just wondering if it sounded like it's loose. How does the diff become loose? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:06 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: IS MY STAMPEDE DIFF LOOSE?

I thought they had a gear diff.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Slo-V Flyer

The diff is acting like it's supposed to. And yes it does have a geared diff, not a ball diff which is adjustable. And my trucks do exactly the same thing on a wet surface when I turn sharp. That kind of diff is called an "Open" diff, hence the one wheel spinning out while the other is sitting still.

The only way to make it not slip one wheel is to pack some really thick grease into the main diff gear's case where the internal little metal gears are. That is will tend to slow down the diff action so it is not so "loose." However after some time the grease will fly off the gears and you will need to re-grease it, but it might work for a while.

As far as I know, there are no ball diffs for the Pede transmission, so it cannot be fine tuned in that manner.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:13 PM
guver

The tire that lifts up shoukld be the one ballooning , not the other one, right?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: guver

I thought they had a gear diff.
I accually don't know. I just know it can be packed with grease to tighten it.
The diff is acting like it's supposed to. And yes it does have a geared diff, not a ball diff which is adjustable. And my trucks do exactly the same thing on a wet surface when I turn sharp. That kind of diff is called an "Open" diff, hence the one wheel spinning out while the other is sitting still.

The only way to make it not slip one wheel is to pack some really thick grease into the main diff gear's case where the internal little metal gears are. That is will tend to slow down the diff action so it is not so "loose." However after some time the grease will fly off the gears and you will need to re-grease it, but it might work for a while.

As far as I know, there are no ball diffs for the Pede transmission, so it cannot be fine tuned in that manner.
I think traxxas makes a ball diff for it. It costs a lot but I rember seeing it in my accessories list that came with my truck.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: guver

The tire that lifts up shoukld be the one ballooning , not the other one, right?
Yes. The one thats lifted off the ground is the one that balloons. I know thats the point of the diff but I just haven't noticed it spinning that much in the past. Is there anyway that the stock grease can come off and wear out? Or is it just in my head?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:20 PM
Slo-V Flyer

It is in your head. Actually the grease will fly off the instant you reach high speed. But if you pack enough in there to completely engulf it, it might last a little bit longer in there.

And the reason it is spinning out is the tires are wet. If you drive it on the pavement it should act like it used to, unless your driving style has changed and you are turning harder and making it left one tire of the ground more.

And you are right, I do remember seeing a $60 ball diff for the Pede transmission. Never got one due to the price tag. Also, they tend to not handle power that well in the long run. In my TC4, I have to constantly tighten the front and rear diffs because they get loose after 2 minutes of running with my Mamba Max 5700 on only 6-cells...very annoying and disappointing. In fact, the rear diff starts to slip altogether under acceleration like a slipper clutch if it loosens too much..
Old 12-08-2007, 02:20 PM
guver

slo-flyer's got it. Grease work, but will quickly be easy to diff again.

I HAVE A BALL DIff for pede/rustler and wouldn't use it because I DON't think it'll hold up well.
A spool works, but is hard on parts and steering.
There may also be a way to seal the diff and fill it with oil to slow down diff action.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Hmm, so I guess I'm not the only one with a ball-diff that can't handle large amounts of power.

And I just thought about it, maybe I can use epoxy glue to seal the edges of the diff gear, and then shave off the excess. Then I can unscrew one of the screws and inject some heavy oil through that hole and tighten the screw back on. Hmm......
Old 12-08-2007, 02:27 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

It is in your head. Actually the grease will fly off the instant you reach high speed. But if you pack enough in there to completely engulf it, it might last a little bit longer in there.

And the reason it is spinning out is the tires are wet. If you drive it on the pavement it should act like it used to, unless your driving style has changed and you are turning harder and making it left one tire of the ground more.

And you are right, I do remember seeing a $60 ball diff for the Pede transmission. Never got one due to the price tag. Also, they tend to not handle power that well in the long run. In my TC4, I have to constantly tighten the front and rear diffs because they get loose after 2 minutes of running with my Mamba Max 5700 on only 6-cells...very annoying and disappointing. In fact, the rear diff starts to slip altogether under acceleration like a slipper clutch if it loosens too much..
I have not touched my diff since I opened it out of the box (almost a year). I was driving on the pavment. I don't think my driving style has changed. So your telling me that it is fine out of the box and I don't need more grease or anything right?
Old 12-08-2007, 02:30 PM
pede_187

You haven't changed the diff since you got your Pede????? Surprised you didn't upgrade when you got the VXL (curious as to how it holds up without an aluminum one)
Old 12-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: pede_kid

You haven't changed the diff since you got your Pede????? Surprised you didn't upgrade when you got the VXL (curious as to how it holds up without an aluminum one)
I personally don't think you need a aluminum diff (if they make them).. I only know of steel ones. I only run 6 cells, but I have never had a problem. I did however get an aluminum idler though. Since then I haven't opened my tranny case.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:38 PM
guver

It usually happens that the diff wears in and gets very loose (OPEN) or free , the tires loose thier edge, your driving gets braver, faster, better. Definately the wetness had a lot to do with traction too.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:13 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

And I just thought about it, maybe I can use epoxy glue to seal the edges of the diff gear, and then shave off the excess. Then I can unscrew one of the screws and inject some heavy oil through that hole and tighten the screw back on. Hmm......
Only problem is I think it will seem out where the stub axles come out. I have two spare steel gear diffs, so I might try something.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:27 PM
j.m.

the problem is not in the drivetrain at all. You have your rear shocks way too hard. Take out all the preload spacers.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Always Dreamin

ORIGINAL: j.m.

the problem is not in the drivetrain at all. You have your rear shocks way too hard. Take out all the preload spacers.
I only have 1 pre-load spacer in the back shocks. That is the setup I have always been running. I cant have it any looser orelse i bottom out. even with a pre-load spacer i still bottom out. but hey, thats why the swami bar is so tough
Old 12-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

What I did on mine to get a little bit limited slip action was to put a washer (or two. It depends on the tolerances) between the two gears that attach to the axles in the diff. Now you can use how tightly you turn the screws holding the diff together to control limited slip effect. The washer basically acts as frictional surface for the gears to rub on.

When I tighten mine all the way, it basically becomes a forgiving locked axle.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

If you dont want your tires to spin freely on turns that much then you might want to try putting a thicker grease into it. 100k grease
Old 12-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

But don't try diff fluid, even if it's LB's bespoke 300k fluid. It will leak out since the Pede diff is not sealed.