Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:05 PM
mercerbeef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

is it turning full lock to lock? if it is it may be your servo horn is striped or servo is toast, or the center link is cracked.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:37 PM
DarksideVR

check the servo saver many of us have had to tighten them down.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 PM
sxf450rdr

ORIGINAL: mercerbeef

is it turning full lock to lock? if it is it may be your servo horn is striped or servo is toast, or the center link is cracked.
It was turning lock to lock

I fugured it out... the servo saver was super loose so it would just slpit with almost no force... i just tightened the nut and the problems gone!! what a huge difference in handling. Also just picked up some Team Associated green rear springs and silver fronts, also a help in handling

Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
sxf450rdr

has anybody purchased the refurbished novak motors? or heard of anybody buying them? are they any good?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 AM
DarksideVR

I purchased a new novak motor and have had to send it back twice. they were good about it but, I purchased a flux system ( made by castle ) and it is way more spunky than my novak and problem free...
Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM
nitro-rob

I had a refurbished 10.5T that I got back after one of my fires. It never had good power or ran well -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubi1U7hFxjA
After that drive it was put in a blitz and died after two packs. The circuit board in the back of the motor cracked so I likely hit something. The blitz was cracked up hard a few times.

I don't think this is representative of the quality of the motors, it was likely a freak break. I also don't think you can buy them directly. They are only part of their exchange program.

I bought the t-bone bumper and wheelie bar. My storm needs to go on a diet.

Tonight I will dial in the torque and punch control. 83/17 gearing calculates to the low 50 mph's. I also adjusted the ride height to be more level (34mm front and rear versus 32/42 before) and put road rage tires on.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
nitro-rob

I forgot to mention I went to 'the barn' which is a track nearby that holds winter races in a barn. I didn't race but stopped in and met some of the guys and watched some races. It was run professionally with electronic scoring and a proper format and schedule. There weren't many guys out but they all seemed nice and friendly. They had 50 people out the previous week. The track is small but has some trick rough parts. There is an outdoor 1/5 scale track too.
I am preparing my blitz....too bad there isn't a stadium truck class.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 AM
v.n.v9569

Hello everyone.
I decided to buy a new servo. what servo can you recommend.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 AM
Velociraptor73

hobby
ORIGINAL: v.n.v9569

Hello everyone.
I decided to buy a new servo. what servo can you recommend.
Thanks in advance.

I ordered one from HK and I'm waiting to receive in one or two weeks

Check this out:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9443

Hopefully the measures will fit.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 AM
nitro-rob

It depends on what you want to spend. I've had good luck with the JR/spektrum Z590's and they are about 25 bucks shipped off ebay. If you want to spend a little more, the HS 5625 is an excellent upgrade - its digital and more accurate and you get even power throughout the throw. If you have more money to spend you can go high voltage digital which start around 50 dollars like the HS 5685 MG.

Tactic receivers are on sale at Tower for 14.99, $10 off.

I had to run 88/17 gears on the firestorm, the 83 t spur is too small.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 AM
AL3xGR

I have this on a mini STe and it seems great and with enough torque so far.(bought more than 3 months ago)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9618
Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you mention the tactic rx's, I just ordered one and 2 sets of 2.8 30 series dirthawgs on torque thrusts.. $75 shipped.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Duemin

Greetings, I am Running a flux with mamba max pro on 2s.with the stock 5700kv motor.

With stock gearing the Engine was getting a bit warm so i got a 20 and 21T pinion to go with the stock 87t spur.
I stuck the 21T in and strapped the GPS on it, Ran it down the street twice....and ripped my planetary in my Diff to shreds...(49mph) weeee....

Could anyone suggest proper gearing for this setup that may be less abusive on the Diff and motor?? I noticed there are no different size spur gears so i'm stuck with just fussing with pinion size....

Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks!
           -John
Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
v.n.v9569

today decided to make a speed run on a large piece of asphalt.

and installed GPS on my firestorm
as a result, 74.5 km / h.

Road rage created for asphalt and the high rate of failed me.
I'll have to glue it again.

Pinion gear: 25T
spur gear stock: 87T
Tires: Road rage 2.8
Brushless combo: Dynamite Fuze 5800kv.
Battery: Turnigy 2s 5Ah 20C

Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Duemin

Greetings, I am Running a flux with mamba max pro on 2s.with the stock 5700kv motor.

With stock gearing the Engine was getting a bit warm so i got a 20 and 21T pinion to go with the stock 87t spur.
I stuck the 21T in and strapped the GPS on it, Ran it down the street twice....and ripped my planetary in my Diff to shreds...(49mph) weeee....

Could anyone suggest proper gearing for this setup that may be less abusive on the Diff and motor?? I noticed there are no different size spur gears so i'm stuck with just fussing with pinion size....

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-John
You need to go with a smaller pinion then stock to lower motor temps, like 18 or 17 etc.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: v.n.v9569

today decided to make a speed run on a large piece of asphalt.

[img][/img]

and installed GPS on my firestorm
as a result, 74.5 km / h.

[img][/img]
Road rage created for asphalt and the high rate of failed me.
I'll have to glue it again.

Pinion gear: 25T
spur gear stock: 87T
Tires: Road rage 2.8
Brushless combo: Dynamite Fuze 5800kv.
Battery: Turnigy 2s 5Ah 20C

75 km/h is not to bad. I will have to get my setup tested.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Duemin

Thanks i had it backwards i guess. I just came back in from running it after the transmission rebuild. It ran very smooth, but i turned up the punch control and whatnot in the castle software. That seemed to mellow it out some.

Both wheels were spinning in the same direction if i lifted the rear and gave one a turn....I thought it was the Differential going bad (which it did)
After rebuilding it it does the same thing...Unless i hold the spur gear then they spin in opposite directions....If i let go the motor spins and all...Is this a sign of weakened magnets due to overheating or some other factor?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM
yoyo5

just went to run for the first time, but since i havent used it all winter i forgot that forward is right and back is left so i hit a puddle and drove back but it was cogging so took the body of and checked it. i had the esc of and once i turned it back on it did the normal beepes but after that it started beeping non stop with about 1 second intervails. any help on whats wrong. also i took every thing of the car and blow dried it to get the water off
Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Duemin

Take the esc off the chasis, disconnect it from the motor. ... With a small screwdriver pry the bottom part off to open the ESC case. Push the heatsink down so you pull both the top and bottom peices of plastic off (exposing the electronics)
Put it in a baggie of rice overnight, it will absorb any exess water. Tomorrow, Snap it back together and mount it with some double sided tape, glue, velcro, or whatever you have. and enjoy your close call!

-John
PS: Usually the Beeps every 1 second means it cannot find your transmitter, was it on when you powered it up the 2nd time?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
nitro-rob

Thanks i had it backwards i guess. I just came back in from running it after the transmission rebuild. It ran very smooth, but i turned up the punch control and whatnot in the castle software. That seemed to mellow it out some.

Both wheels were spinning in the same direction if i lifted the rear and gave one a turn....I thought it was the Differential going bad (which it did)
After rebuilding it it does the same thing...Unless i hold the spur gear then they spin in opposite directions....If i let go the motor spins and all...Is this a sign of weakened magnets due to overheating or some other factor?
Your differential is normal. They will stick a little and move both wheels forward sometimes but if you hold the spur and get the wheels to turn in opposite directions when turning one wheel you are okay.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
yoyo5

thanks i reamaber win i did this with my iphone, but i was in a rush so i forgotdo you know of any thing that will waterproof the electronics. also i think i had it on lol

Take the esc off the chasis, disconnect it from the motor. ... With a small screwdriver pry the bottom part off to open the ESC case. Push the heatsink down so you pull both the top and bottom peices of plastic off (exposing the electronics)
Put it in a baggie of rice overnight, it will absorb any exess water. Tomorrow, Snap it back together and mount it with some double sided tape, glue, velcro, or whatever you have. and enjoy your close call!

-John
PS: Usually the Beeps every 1 second means it cannot find your transmitter, was it on when you powered it up the 2nd time?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Duemin

I am no expert at waterproofing but if its a reciever i would throw it in a baloon and wire tie the end that all the wires come out of

For a ESC its harder because it needs to dissapate heat. A baloon may work once per run but i would suggest reading this query for more effective results.

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...ient=firefox-a

Glad to help!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 PM
nitro-rob

I have mine dialed just fine now. "8" on the torque control and 30% punch control.  88/17 gearing.  Its still got lots of snap and can wheelie on command at any speed but isn't undriveable like it was before.  Temperatures didn't go over 75 but it was only 35 outside.  Half a set of dirtworks tires gone on a pack and a half so far but I got rid of a lot of wheel spin.  The new chassis setup seems to be a lot better.  Its worth it to try out the other shock mounting positions.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 PM
redfisher1974

I need to set up the punch control on mine too.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Duemin

Very nice pictures of the e-firestorm, Mind if i ask where you found your aftermarket chasis and nice box for the esc?...and whatever shocks they are?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.