Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:59 AM
DarksideVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Curious about those I think I have looked at them before..
Old 11-12-2011, 04:04 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

I don't know why I went so long on bad tires. The dirt hawgs on 2.8 desperados hook up really well even in the cold. I used blitz hubs since they matched the blitz axles and I drilled out the firestorm hubs to use hpi rims previously. My only complaint is the offset makes the truck about an inch more narrow. There is a traxxas rim that has a similar offset to the HPI 'deep offset' that I will try in the future.

Told you the 2.8's are great, Hey do they sell those pre-mounted?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:29 PM
nitro-rob

The desperados and dirt hawgs were premounted.  I really wish that RCs didn't come with tires, I feel obligated to wear out the original ones then go to better tires and realize I should have never run the stock ones.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:42 PM
wanna_be_racer

I dunno how relavent it is, or maybe it's another of my outlandish ideas...

I was reading is the Slash forum here, about some people making their slash's into truggies, or "trash's" as they called them. SImply putting Jato arms and 1/2" offset 17mm hubs and using offset 1/8th scale rims. Giving it a wide stance, then using HPI DSX-1 bodies and Hellfire wingmounts.

Anyway, the point I'm getting too, what if you took a Blitz main tub, put all your firestorm parts and a few Blitz parts where needed, found some 1/2" offset 17mm adapters, and did something of the same thing? Any thoughts???

I have wierd-ass ideas, I know.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 PM
nitro-rob

Go for it.  Its never been done (likely out of lack of interest).  It would be easier to just put the bigger wheels on a blitz, wouldn't it? It would think the bigger tires would put more strain on parts.  I would rather have a real 1/8 truggy, though, and have something that was made to be that way from the start.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 PM
wanna_be_racer

I would deff be eaiser just to do it to a blitz, yes. But the only reason I mentioned it on a blitz tub was the fact that it lengthens the wheel base by a good 2 inches or so. Which would fit well with the wider stance from the offset of the adapters and the offset rims.

It just seems like a cool idea to me. Just for something different. A 1/8th scale truggy does seem like it would be more thoroughly designed for something like this.

It won't be too expensive to try. Just $25 for a tub, $30 for the 17mm adapters, and I already fot the offset rims sittin here with good tires. Might have to give it a go.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 PM
nitro-rob

I wonder how a blitz would handle with a fs-style body and stadium truck tires and high offset wheels on them?  Other than that and the long wheelbase and weird scale bumpers are the only other major differences.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
wanna_be_racer

Well, soon as i get my motor situation worked out, I'll let you all know I guess.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 PM
DarksideVR

My buddy put 1/8th scale buggy wheels on his 4x4 Slash... I dunno it looked crazy not sure about it. It will be interesting to see what you put together
Old 11-13-2011, 09:18 PM
wanna_be_racer

Well, I'm not goin buggy tires here. I'm lookin at the 3.8 Desperado's, honestly. The ones with the 1/2" offset to give it an even wider stance. My dad suggested picking new a-arms and modifying them to fit. I was lookin at the Ofna 10TT ones. Granted, it's a 4wd, but I bet it could work. Even maybe the Losi 10T arms since it IS an actualy 1/10th truggy.

I'll play around with the dimensions a bit and see what I can find. Course, in contrast, maybe the 2.8's with some big tall tires would look truer to scale. Either way about it, I'll play around with it. I've scoured the web trying to find something out that would help, but it seems people only do this to Slash's. Guess I'll be the first to try it on a EFS/Blitz.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 PM
DarksideVR

sorry I assumed the 17mm adapters were for the 1/8 scale buggy wheels..... the badlands on 2.8s make for a big burly wheel and tire.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:07 PM
wanna_be_racer

well the 17mm adapters will work for any 17mm hex-ed rim. As far as I know, long as the suspension set can allow for full turn radius and such, as well as have a servo that can back the added mass up.

Side-note...has anyone heard of Tenshock Motors? Seems to be a Euro thing, but I've read lots of great stuff about them.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 PM
thehuntingterminator

i've heard that they are great considering how little popularity they have. i wouldn't mind buying one.
ORIGINAL: wanna_be_racer

well the 17mm adapters will work for any 17mm hex-ed rim. As far as I know, long as the suspension set can allow for full turn radius and such, as well as have a servo that can back the added mass up.

Side-note...has anyone heard of Tenshock Motors? Seems to be a Euro thing, but I've read lots of great stuff about them.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:18 PM
wanna_be_racer

I think you're right though, some 2.8's wtih some high wall tires would keep the scale factor, rather than go with 3.8's.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:11 PM
wanna_be_racer

Success at last! I don't have to replace anything on the suspension in terms of different A-Arms or something like that. However, the new Evader A-arms are 5mm wider than the storm ones, and look like they'd be a close fit if I just wanted to try them, but i found THESE. All I need now is a Blitz tub to convert it all, and another set of desperado's to come in, and we're all set. God bless the Crawlers.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

nicee the evader a arms should be good, they are very soft just like the storms a bit thinner in places but they are solid

the lug
Old 11-15-2011, 07:45 PM
wanna_be_racer

I think i'll just try those extensions for now, and if I want just a tad bit more width, i'll go with the Evader arms. I think the 13mm is gonna be more than enough though for what I'm going for.

List is as follows:

Blitz tub
Blitz front chassis brace
HPI Upper brace set
EFSmotor guard/gear cover
STRC Motor plate
Blitz slipper set
Blitz top shaft
STRC Blitz steering rack
Blitz servo saver
MIP SVD's
2.8 Desperado's
2.8 Pro-Line Bow Tie's

Only part of that is for the actual project, others areparts that I've needed replaced,and more minor things as well for the winter rebuild of my actual EFS. If I could find one, I'd just buy a Blitz roller, that way I wouldn't have to cannablize my EFS totally. The tub, braces, covers, etc will be purchased very soon, as well as the wheelbase extensions. More upkeep and durability pieces will be added as I see what's needed after a few drives. Powering this"SCuggy" will be a Team Epic550 "Pro-4" 4.5T motor paired with my spare MMM. (yes, the big one). If I thought the meager drivetrain could handle it, I'd just dump a Mamba Monster in it, but I've afraid thedrivetrain,primarily the axilthe extensions, wouldn't bear the strain of that much torque and power. Ready to move on with this build...I just need the funds.

Also, lookin at usin an E-Revo body for this

Old 11-16-2011, 12:27 PM
DarksideVR

Those extensions look nice. So you are just looking to lengthen and widen the stance of the storm? that should do it. Also blitz roller are fairly cheap on Ebay
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
wanna_be_racer

Essentially, that's exactly what I'm going for. Little longer, little wider + wing. Hence, the SCuggy designation, since i'll basically be combining a SC truck and buggy / truggy characteristics.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 AM
ElectricGuy007

Racing my E-firestorm bomber tomorrow. Along with my SC10.
People at madisonville say that the oval there can be made to offroad in 30 seconds.
So im racing carpet oval and carpet offroad, should be alot of fun!

E-firestorm makes a really good oval truck, I lowered mine and put street tires on it.
Slapped on an oval body, and whaallllaaaa, E-FIRESTORM BOMBER CAR.
i'LL BE RACING AGAINST LOSI XXX-T TRUCKS, ASSOCIATED T4'S AND RUSTLER BOMBER CARS.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57534.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1687723  
Old 11-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Paron34

I'm back after a 1 year away for "new daughter lack of fund" lol. My son just got a 1/14 scale Mini 8ight amazing little thing much better than other mini's I've seen. So I'm looking to pimp out my Firestorm, both of my Esc/motor combos are not suitable for the Storm. So whats the going Esc/motor combo of choice. Also I remember Red getting on of those Nanotech batteries how are they, I'm looking for a couple of 3s for my Firestorm and Caster 1/8 scale have a ton of 2's.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM
wanna_be_racer

I think most people are running MMp's (Mamba Max Pro's) and the CC 4-pole 4600kv or 5700kv. Some are running the CC-1410 3800kv and really love those, as well.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Paron34

Yeah 4600 seems little high for 3s since I'm running 4s on a 2200 which runs perfect,hard to find that sweet spot.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:02 PM
wanna_be_racer

Then you might wanna give the Castle 3800SCT a look. Would be great for what you're looking for, it sounds like.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:21 AM
biggaz

Hi people, new here!!

Hope someone can shed some light on my questions??

Ive just got a new updated firestorm flux, do i need to change the esc when running NIMH to LIPO? ive set it up to auto cutoff etc but read in the instruction that you need to change esc with different types of batteries?

finally! If i do how do you do it cos i couldnt see how to do it in the instructions????

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.