Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
DarksideVR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

I assume it means set that cutoff. As long as you have done that, you can run the Lipo. I helped a friend set up his new flux e firestorm and that is all we did. It is the stock ESC and you can run 2 or 3 cell with it. Enjoy
Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 PM
biggaz

Thanks, yeh ive done that but in the booklet it says you must change esc when changing from lipo to nimh or vice versa? then doesnt tell you how to do it?

Strange? this is the case on some esc's isnt it though, yeah its the flux vapor (sidewinder a think)
Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 PM
DarksideVR

maybe it is a typo? Did you try running the lipo and just checking the temp? It is 3cell ready out of the box.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:24 PM
wanna_be_racer

I agree, you may just have to set the auto cut-off. but idk. I have an original EFS, not the new one.and on mine, you have to set the cutoff when switching from NiMh to lipo, and then turning it off to go from lipo to NiMh.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:17 PM
wanna_be_racer

Found a body that is well within the dimensions I was looking for: the E-Revo Slipstream body from Pro-Line. From the dimensions given, it should work beautifully with what I'm going for. (around 20" long by 7~" wide")

Also, I got thinking. The wheel extensions will work for now, yes. But, what if I could maybe machine up some wider a-arm mounts? Wider mounts = wider stance because the arms are out farther, right? But then, comes the problems with driveshafts. That's where the trouble comes with that. I would have to somehow extend the drive cups for the diff to where the cvd's would still make contact. It shouldn't be terribly hard to do something like that, but i'll have to talk with my dad and see what we can come up with.

The extensions will just have to do. In the meantime, any ideas on this?
Old 11-19-2011, 04:53 PM
namewasdallas

To the person talking about getting the new firestorm and running between Nimh and Lipo, They don't mean you have to switch out the ESC, you just have program it into Nimh Mode or Lipo mode, it doesnt auto detect like some esc. If its in Nimh mode and u try to run a lipo it will run like crap.

I think this is how you do it.

- Plug in battery,
-Turn transmitter on while holding full throttle, it will make some ringing sounds twice in row. think its 3-4 beeps x2
- after the beep give it full break till it beeps x2
- Let go to netural

It should make some beeps and be programed.

If you have a issue with switching between Nimh and Lipo go to www.Castlecreations.com they will have the info on switching between the two.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:59 PM
namewasdallas

I ran my firestorm today for the first time in awhile without any issues, I was supper excited. Only downside is im use to my Savox 1258 servo in my Losi ten-scte which is super fast and the firestorm servo is crap. I bought a used but mint condition Savox Titanium gear super speed servo. Listed here http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SC1257...avsc1257tg.htm

think its .09sec 111.oz torque which is more then enough for this truck

Also had installed some New Hpi rims with Proline Calibar v2. Tires work great. Perfect ammount of traction but i got crap foams with them that make a weird spot inside the tire sometime. Only issue with the rims is they didnt work with the metal locking hubs that came stock on the truck cause where they go into the rim they have that little circluar piece and these didnt accept that so I had to use the plastic hex's that came with the rims, but no biggy my stock metal one's were shot all worn down on the hex to a circle...

Also had bought Hpi Purple anozide wheel nuts and they worked great no wheel came loose.

Also i remmber reading someone was looking at Castle Motor's I run the 3800kv and its awesome has tons of torque and you can gear it higher then the 4600kv and 5700kv castle motor's and still run on 3s

Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 PM
biggaz

cheers for the advice people, so the booklet was right as in you do need to program the esc for the different types of battery or at least switch to the right type if changing between the two. Stupid how it doesnt say how lol!

Is this just turning lipo cut off on and off then yeh? what happens when running the lipo cut off in the on program while running nimh batts?

Think it says that the default is set for lipo so ill just stick with that lol!!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:08 PM
wanna_be_racer

If the lipo autodetect is on but you're tryin to run NiMh, it'll cog real bad and never get up to full speed because it's looking for the output of a lipo battery, not a nimh. So it won't run properly and could damage your esc and battery, or both. o.0
Old 11-19-2011, 08:07 PM
namewasdallas

yeah what the guy above said, it will run like crap, stick with Lipo's 5000mah are perfect gives like 15-30 min runtime depending on motor and gearing. Always watch the temp on the motor to make sure you dont burn it up if channing the pinion or spur.

I've found some good combo's for the 3800kv.

77t Spur / 24t pinion, This setup is super fast, also with the stock motor mount plate you with this gearing the 23-24t pinion is the smallest you can run otherwise the motor wont slide enough to mesh the two together.

83t Spur / 26t Pinion, setup works good  but not that fast.

My day went from good to bad in a matter of a 15 min ride home from my friends, in the next town over we were chillin watching t.v having a few beers I took off was going home down in this tech park and got lost only drove through there once, two deer came out of nowhere, I think I hit both i know i hit one, I was going 50-55 hit the brakes slammed it, it flew up like 10ft almost came back through the windsheild, the deer tried getting back up but i broke all its leg's and it almost got in front of my car while i tryed taking off. So now i got a broken bumper and ****ed up hood. It was a good size doe, I really can't beleive this just happened.. Im pretty pissed about it, but i guess it could of been worse like going off the road or something I was smart enough to not try to avoid it when i had no chance and just slam the brakes and hold it straight.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:32 PM
AIRSAVAGE

Hey electric guy, I see a TXT 1 box in that picture. How do you like it? I've looked at them over the years and am still interested.
J
Old 11-20-2011, 08:43 PM
wanna_be_racer

Anyone seen the new chrome Desperado's coming out? look baller.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:49 AM
biggaz

thanks for the info on the batts guys! cleared that up for me!

I have 2 5000mah 2s lipos and 2 4000 mah 3s lipos on the way! Cant wait.

namewasdallas  Thanks for the info on the gearing!!
<script></script>
Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 AM
DarksideVR

Chrome wheels tend to get hammered on my truck .... correction all wheels seem to get hammered on my truck But I bet they look really cool!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 PM
ruststang94
My Feedback: (39)

Hey guys, I ran that aluminum skid I made and it didn't workout to well. Too stiff. Did a lot of bending and cracked the trans case. I updated it with UHMW and more surface area to where it attaches. Did some hard bashing with it and it works great! Handles wear and tear and flexes just enough. What do you think?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:09 AM
mercerbeef

LOL nice, kinda looks like a full diaper from that last pic. maybe you should put a vent throught it for the fan to get some heat out.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 PM
DarksideVR

Nice, kinda looks like an extended version of the stock one. Vent holes are a good idea.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
ruststang94

You know I have had no issues with heat. Running 3s with a 21t pinion and a 83t spur. Temps under 120* Thats funny it does look like a diaper. I dont want to put holes in it. im afrad it might weaken it. I have more material I may make a new one and add some holes to it.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 AM
wanna_be_racer

I kinda like it, does indeed look like a diaper. lol. But it provides protection to that fan, and if your temps are good, I see no need to change it.. I busted a brand new Castle fan for running it without a motor guard since the stock one has to be cut to accomodate it.

Side note, Project SCuggy is on order now. Placed a $200 order with Tower tonight for a majority of the parts I'll need with the exception of the motor/esc. Should be here ina week or so.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:39 PM
KoneRacing

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10827874/tm.htmgo check out this thread its a complete rebuild of an e-firestorm flux 10t replacing just about everything i can think of and go in detail step by step so go subscribe to that thread and post some suggestions of parts i should put on the car!!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 03:27 PM
nitro-rob

Rustang - that looks good and good idea with mounting it over like that on the top.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
ruststang94

Thanks Im really happy with it. It took me awhile to come up with a design i liked.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:15 PM
nitro-rob

I noticed the truck lost a lot of lateral stability with the narrower stance that came with the low-offset desperado wheels. I mounted the tires on traxxas rims with a much wider offset. Check out the top view photos. One one shows the desperado wheels on the back and traxxas wheels on the front. Also check out the distance between the wheel and shock in the other top view. If anyone wants to buy the desperado rims that are in nearly perfect condition send me a message.

Drove a pack for 25 minutes on the street today, mostly high speed and hard acceleration. Highest temp was 106F and it ran in the 90s most of the time. It was between 50-60F outside when I drove. castle 4600 4-pole with 83/19 gears.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74582.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	1691796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15508.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	471.5 KB
ID:	1691797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61293.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	1691798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49622.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	1691799  
Old 11-26-2011, 08:29 PM
namewasdallas

I was driving my truck today and noticed some weird noises that were super loud knew it was coming from the tranny took off the spur gear cover and everything looked perfectly fine while rolling the spur to look for a issue I noticed it had a slight wobble to it. Drove the truck for a few more laps and it made this got awful sound. My screw in the pinion came off and I called it a day.

I got home and took the tranny apart to see why the spur gear add a whobble and to my suprise one of the bearings that holds the top shaft shattered wicked bad, it was in multiple parts and I couldnt get the inside of the bearing off that slides on the Top shaft, I run the titanium top shaft and ese slipper setup shaves little over 1/2oz off the roating assembly which is alot. Here's a picture of the carniage, i had to toss on a cutting wheel on the dremel to get part of the bearing off it. I'm glad I had 2 extra brand new bearings so i replaced both.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 PM
namewasdallas

so everyone knows what your looking at, u see the outside of the bearing while right above it is the inside of the bearing, the crowns are gone, along with all the bearings and a chunk of the inner bearing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.