Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Beater Builds Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Takedown
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Beater Builds Thread

Guess you gave up on the t600...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:02 AM
warheadforever

Please delete. [&o]
Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Takedown

Chris did you completely forget about the_________[:@]
Ssshhhh, edit your post, no one is supposed to know about those motors......... and Lutach and I figured out that the Medusa 36-70 would be a better choice.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Krawlin

Found this really sweet chassis that I plan on getting. Its based on the stock design, but made of 6061-T6 aluminum, and looks pretty thick, and comes in a ton of different colors. Not bad for $140, considering the machining, anodizing, and amount of aluminum used. And for those who want to keep their 3906 Maxx the same length, these are perfect, they are basically a direct replacement for the stock chassis.

Company called East End Machining. I don't think they are very well known, but they have some cool lookin stuff on their site.

http://www.eastendmachining.com/emaxxchassis.html
Old 10-11-2008, 06:07 PM
Always Dreamin

The Warhead was a great truck, not right from me, but I have nothing against it. I had always had Rustler/Stampede/1/10 cars. I wanted to branch out so I got a big MT (warhead). IMO it wasn't what I was looking for, so I traded it for a buggy. That wasn't quite right either, so I sold it. I'm done with 1/8 for now, but unfortunetely it took the Warhead and the Raze to make me figure out that I really liked my Rustler. I don't know why it's such a big deal, Takedown wanted his truck back, and I don't blame him, I know how much he liked it... But Ben put all new shocks and wheels and tires on it, it looked really good.

Anyways, I just wanted to give you guys an update. I'm in Az running the Rustler and it's a blast! I took it to the track today, what a good time. I'm running the Lipos i got from Takedown, the temps stayed low in the heat. That's really it. My truck is still the same as it was before, just enjoying it now. I'm pretty much satisfied with it. I still need to send in my 2.4ghz radio before it's out of warranty.

To be honest, I would need to run 5s to get the same speed I was getting with the Rustler on 2s. The thing was just overkill. It was heavy, needed new CVD pins and new shocks. I would have needed a MMM, and even with all that, I still wasn't 100% convinced I would like it more then the Rustler. Besides, I live in OC, not the mountains. 4wd was nice, but the simplicity of 2wd was nice, and I never had any problems controlling it. So, I ended up buying 2 2s packs, T2 charger, and ended up with another Rustler/Bandit/Stampede roller. I'm going to sell them, and turn out farther ahead then I was when I bought the Raze. I'm 100% satisfied with my Rustler, and there isn't really anything I would want more then it. I have $700 into it, and I wasn't going to get that much out of it. I think I did the right thing. And Chris, I had to compare it to the Rustler. I already had a Rustler and to be 100% honest, I didn't want the Warhead/Raze if I didn't like it better then the Rustler. If your going to be getting a new car that's more money, you darn well better like it more then your older car.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:01 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

Sweet chassis Krawlin! its gonna be sick...what color are you getting? I think the blue or black, both would be sick.[8D]
Old 10-11-2008, 11:39 PM
DarthRacer
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys, I posted this in the Rustler thread but it was built for bashing purposes.

This project started because I actually got bored with scalers. My R/C background started with racing and speed.

I had an old XL-1 Rustler chassis laying around that was purchased for it's tranny a few years ago. Since I pulled apart my TLT scaler and sold the axles, I decided to build up the Rustler. I bought every RPM part available, arms, towers, hub carriers, steering blocks, links, and bumper. I picked up a set of XL-5/VXL model shocks on ebay. I painted up a Proline Desert Rat body for it. I am using an XL-5 esc that I had from a trade and started off with a used Titan motor but it sucks, so my old Orion 23t double is in it now. I have a Velineon motor to go in it, just waiting for me to buy a Castle Sidewinder esc for it. I dyed a set of Rustler wheels I received when I bought the chassis, and I had the Proline Roadhawgs from some STs I had years ago.

The tranny diff is still locked and is working out fine running in the street. I used to be so bad at gearing electrics but I'm getting it now in my older and wiser years. It seems to be running nice with the old stock spur and a 23t pinion.

This has been a fun build and I am enjoying running it in the street in front of my house. My daughters like to watch me run it. I'm surprised at these modern electric vehicles. I'm getting 15 to 20 min runtime with a Venom 3300 pack.

Here's the naked pics.

What you see on the wheels is good ol Carolina clay dust.

Here's some of the parts that went into it.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:25 AM
fusebmx13

Pretty nice truck you have. I like the body. My brother has the same one. I will post a picture of it soon. But yesterday when we were in the hobby shop this guy sold us a Faigio 2779 kv motor. Its sick. We have it in a rustler right now but its going into the maxx. He gave it to us for 40 bucks lol. I picked up a vxl motor for my pede and also i was running it on 3s and it flies. But im having problems, if i am sitting still then turn right and start to go it like keeps going on that for a second then straightens out and i can drive again. It has done this to me before and i think that my servo is bad. I swapped it out the other day for a new one and it didnt do it but then i switched back and it did it. But i only drove it with the other servo for like 5 minutes. I dont know, i will get it fixed, i always do somehow
Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 AM
fusebmx13

Heres some pictures of our trucks. We also have another rustler but thats at college with my brother. And an e maxx that needs some help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27771.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1050263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81474.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1050264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82504.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1050265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91949.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1050266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65672.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1050267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct16276.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1050268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr27079.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1050269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml37847.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1050270  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu30704.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1050271  
Old 10-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Takedown

You guys and your pedes and rusty's...
Old 10-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Takedown

And Chris, if your going to spend anything more than $125 on a chassis go straight for a FLM 3905 ext chassis... http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...lm10900&cat=31
Old 10-12-2008, 01:05 PM
camaross427

it is christmas in october guys...ordering stuff for my rusty

vxl system

vxl fan
rpm bumper
23t pinion gear
motor leads
electri fly s-600 motor
83t spur gear
proline sand paws and new rims
2 ener-g 4600 8.4v batt's from spc
2 front white lights and 2 red rear lights...

gonna get a good 3s lipo eventually....

Old 10-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Krawlin

ORIGINAL: DarthRacer

Hey guys, I posted this in the Rustler thread but it was built for bashing purposes.

This project started because I actually got bored with scalers. My R/C background started with racing and speed.

I had an old XL-1 Rustler chassis laying around that was purchased for it's tranny a few years ago. Since I pulled apart my TLT scaler and sold the axles, I decided to build up the Rustler. I bought every RPM part available, arms, towers, hub carriers, steering blocks, links, and bumper. I picked up a set of XL-5/VXL model shocks on ebay. I painted up a Proline Desert Rat body for it. I am using an XL-5 esc that I had from a trade and started off with a used Titan motor but it sucks, so my old Orion 23t double is in it now. I have a Velineon motor to go in it, just waiting for me to buy a Castle Sidewinder esc for it. I dyed a set of Rustler wheels I received when I bought the chassis, and I had the Proline Roadhawgs from some STs I had years ago.

The tranny diff is still locked and is working out fine running in the street. I used to be so bad at gearing electrics but I'm getting it now in my older and wiser years. It seems to be running nice with the old stock spur and a 23t pinion.

This has been a fun build and I am enjoying running it in the street in front of my house. My daughters like to watch me run it. I'm surprised at these modern electric vehicles. I'm getting 15 to 20 min runtime with a Venom 3300 pack.
Nice beater build! Keep up the build in this thread!

ORIGINAL: fusebmx13

Pretty nice truck you have. I like the body. My brother has the same one. I will post a picture of it soon. But yesterday when we were in the hobby shop this guy sold us a Faigio 2779 kv motor. Its sick. We have it in a rustler right now but its going into the maxx. He gave it to us for 40 bucks lol. I picked up a vxl motor for my pede and also i was running it on 3s and it flies. But im having problems, if i am sitting still then turn right and start to go it like keeps going on that for a second then straightens out and i can drive again. It has done this to me before and i think that my servo is bad. I swapped it out the other day for a new one and it didnt do it but then i switched back and it did it. But i only drove it with the other servo for like 5 minutes. I dont know, i will get it fixed, i always do somehow
Whatever you do, do not put that Feigao in the Maxx. That is the 7XL or 6XL Feigao I believe, which is way too high of a Kv rating for a Maxx. Plus, Feigao's are only 2 pole motors, which suck. You will have horrible temp problems with it in your Maxx, upwards of 175 most likely, and you will destroy that motor and it will have no power. Keep it in the Rustler, it will be alot more fun in that thing than in the Maxx. As for your steering problem, I have no idea what would cause that, seems kinda odd. If it's a digital servo, and you are using the stock radio, that may be your problem, since digital servo's dont seem to do too great without a radio that you can adjust the EPA.

You guys and your pedes and rusty's...
Lol.........

And Chris, if your going to spend anything more than $125 on a chassis go straight for a FLM 3905 ext chassis... http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...lm10900&cat=31
There are several reasons why I don't want that chassis.

First of all, it's longer than the stock 3905 chassis, which is already 30mm longer than the stock 3906 chassis. And with that chassis on my 3906 E-Maxx, it would just look odd because of the length. Now to fix that odd look, I could do the 3.3 conversion, with new turnbuckles, knuckles, and CVD's, but I don't really want to get all of that stuff for my Maxx since it does just fine with its current size. And I really want the East End Machining chassis because I can get it in black or blue anodize, which would look totally trick!

ORIGINAL: camaross427

it is christmas in october guys...ordering stuff for my rusty

vxl system

vxl fan
rpm bumper
23t pinion gear
motor leads
electri fly s-600 motor
83t spur gear
proline sand paws and new rims
2 ener-g 4600 8.4v batt's from spc
2 front white lights and 2 red rear lights...

gonna get a good 3s lipo eventually....

So where are the durability upgrades to make it a beater truck? Just an RPM bumper doesn't make it a beater truck.....

And dont get the Electrifly S-600 motors. Trust me, they are aweful. The spring/brushes fell out of mine after the second run, and they run extremely hot, and even with 3 capacitors, they caused interference.

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST. THE MODS WILL GET ANGRY AND DELETE POSTS WITH THIS POST QUOTED, SO IF YOU HAVE TO QUOTE THIS POST, PLEASE DELETE ALL BUT THE PART YOU ARE REPLYING TO.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Krawlin

Have a new update here, more of a question though.....

I am wanting to do some re-arranging of my Maxx's chassis for a cleaner look. So here is my plan.....

Move the ESC from its mounting plate on the the motor plate down to where the receiver sits.

Move the receiver to the open space behind the tranny, where the original EVX2 ESC would have set, right next to the BEC.

Run the servo wires in the metal braid sleeving I got to look like high pressure lines under the chassis then up to the receiver.

Only question I have about this is will having the ESC between the servo's in front and the receiver next to the BEC in the back cause interference and glitching problems?

This is only concept, I may do it the other way around, leave the receiver in the front and put the ESC in the rear, but still not 100% sure yet.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

Ok well my pede is still broken but I found a little camera so here are some CARNAGE PICS!!!LOL and the new chassis(and the elmo you see in the pics is my dog's toy, its completey ripped apart..lol....elmo better watch his back[sm=punching.gif]lol)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10754.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1050430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91973.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1050431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46930.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1050432  
Old 10-12-2008, 05:05 PM
fusebmx13

Im probably going to be ordering some spc lipos. My brother wants some so when he orders im gonna get some to. They are like 80 bucks for a 5000 3s. Thats not bad. But they are only 15c batteries lol. But my motor does not pull more than what the battery is giving out, i already checked so i should be good.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:27 PM
camaross427

i will get durability upgrades when the times come like christmas...or when parts break and i have an excuse to upgrade lol, im already going to have enough of a problem trying to get my parents to let me spend this kind of money on an rc car.....

ok, so no s-600...back to looking for cheap brushed motors for mud/snow running then...
Old 10-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Krawlin

i will get durability upgrades when the times come like christmas...or when parts break and i have an excuse to upgrade lol, im already going to have enough of a problem trying to get my parents to let me spend this kind of money on an rc car.....

ok, so no s-600...back to looking for cheap brushed motors for mud/snow running then...
[X(] YOU WERE GONNA USE S-600'S FOR MUD AND SNOW RUNNING?! Those things wouldn't have even lasted 5 minutes! Lol, they are really bad motors, like no joke, they are that bad.

I suggest just some cheap $20 brushed motor, maybe a crappy 19t. That should give you good torque and decent speed, and will last in the snow and mud environment. Just be sure its a rebuildable motor, that way you can take it apart, clean, and oil it after each run in mud and snow to keep it lasting for a while.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:10 PM
camaross427

lol, that bad...good thing you told me that just in time ...

i am leaning towards a team orion 17t double formula sv2 pro [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAK3&P=7]linkage[/link]

i have heard that it is a very good motor, pretty cheap, will last a good long time looks like it should give some decent speed too which is good.., anything's better than the stock titan though lol
Old 10-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Krawlin

i am leaning towards a team orion 17t double formula sv2 pro [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAK3&P=7]linkage[/link]

i have heard that it is a very good motor, pretty cheap, will last a good long time looks like it should give some decent speed too which is good.., anything's better than the stock titan though lol
Yes, that's a great motor as well. Just be sure you take it apart and properly clean and oil everything and properly re-assemble it, and it will last a long time.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:01 PM
fusebmx13

what truck do you have? it sounds like an e maxx but im not sure.

So i have a friend that works at our lhs (I will probably be getting a job there soon also) and he can get me 35% off of parts lol im having him get me some big bores this week.

So i have been planning my slash build. Gonna have MM and vxl running on 3s. As for durability, rpm arms, traxxas castorblocks. Other than that the truck already has steel turnbuckles and bearings/carriers. I might get an rpm bumper if i hate the traxxas one. As for the looks of the truck, its going to have an all black proline desert rat body. Black rpm narrow crawler rims with proline flat iron tires.

Also i will be ordering some metal gears to get my 18t back in the picture. Its totally trashed after attempting a triple backflip lol (bad idea). I lost count, i think i did about 4 or 5 before the truck smacked a tree then bounced off that and landed cartwheeling down a hill going about 35 mph lol stripping all my diff gears and spur gear haha. what a tough truck though, only gears that broke.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 PM
camaross427

rustler xl-5 currently..it was a cheap start into rc's..now that i know more i want something a bit better like a vxl rustler...i got into rc's becasue i am a car nut..at 14 i can't exactly have a real car yet despite begging my parents so i settled for rc for now...turns out i enjoy it a ton and since i now know that i am spending more money on that,,,the xl-5 was kind of like a test to see if i really wanted to get into the hobby or not..

triple backflip lol, sounds fun..it's not fun till you break something right? lol, from what i hear if you are going to get something for durability get a rpm front bumper..i am getting one for ol rusty...i will get some more durability parts in the future when stuff breaks and i have an excuse to upgrade lol
Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Krawlin

So i have a friend that works at our lhs (I will probably be getting a job there soon also) and he can get me 35% off of parts lol im having him get me some big bores this week.

So i have been planning my slash build. Gonna have MM and vxl running on 3s. As for durability, rpm arms, traxxas castorblocks. Other than that the truck already has steel turnbuckles and bearings/carriers. I might get an rpm bumper if i hate the traxxas one. As for the looks of the truck, its going to have an all black proline desert rat body. Black rpm narrow crawler rims with proline flat iron tires.

Also i will be ordering some metal gears to get my 18t back in the picture. Its totally trashed after attempting a triple backflip lol (bad idea). I lost count, i think i did about 4 or 5 before the truck smacked a tree then bounced off that and landed cartwheeling down a hill going about 35 mph lol stripping all my diff gears and spur gear haha. what a tough truck though, only gears that broke.

Lucky you....... I would be in heaven if I could work at the LHS!

Slash build sounds awesome, looking forward to it! As far your body choice, I think ProLine has a couple new bodies for the Slash, not sure if one of them is the DesertRat, but from pics I have seen, should be a good choice. For wheels and tires, you have a bad combo.... those FlatIron tires are meant for crawlers, and will be too soft and too narrow for a Slash most likely. An awesome wheel tire combo on a Slash over on the RCM forums was Proline 8 Shooter black beadlocks with HPI Geolander tires. They are wider than stock, and probably not quite as tall, but they look awesome and have really good traction.

Will be nice to see the 18T build going again in here.

AND SIGN ON AIM!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:02 AM
camaross427

ORIGINAL: Krawlin

Lucky you....... I would be in heaven if I could work at the LHS!

Slash build sounds awesome, looking forward to it! As far your body choice, I think ProLine has a couple new bodies for the Slash, not sure if one of them is the DesertRat, but from pics I have seen, should be a good choice. For wheels and tires, you have a bad combo.... those FlatIron tires are meant for crawlers, and will be too soft and too narrow for a Slash most likely. An awesome wheel tire combo on a Slash over on the RCM forums was Proline 8 Shooter black beadlocks with HPI Geolander tires. They are wider than stock, and probably not quite as tall, but they look awesome and have really good traction.

Will be nice to see the 18T build going again in here.

AND SIGN ON AIM!!!
if i worked at a hobby shop..welll i wouldn't be working too hard lol...i would spend half the time looking at all the cool stuff..and the other half driving the cars around the parking lot lol,
Old 10-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Krawlin

if i worked at a hobby shop..welll i wouldn't be working too hard lol...i would spend half the time looking at all the cool stuff..and the other half driving the cars around the parking lot lol,
Lol, knowing me, I would probably do the same. Or sit around and talk tech with the customers all day, Lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.