Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

VXL?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VXL?!!!

Ok, you got me on the, they call it a truggy and has 4WD. Yes, their are indeed RC's called "Truggy's" that are 4WD. This however does not actually make them Truggy's. Every vehicle you listed that I could find listed at Tower is nothing more than a 4WD stadium truck. If they had larger tires, sat higher, and had a little more suspension travel than they would be truggy's, but in their factory form they are not. Sorry man, been into real cars for a LONG time and you are way off from what a REAL truggy is.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VXL?!!!

ORIGINAL: deanR
Alright on 3s the vxl does not cog. I ran my electric converted nitro rustler at the track and it was the fastest thing there, (down the strait, and jumped the farthest). i was doing a tripple that 8ths scales were doing. I have a vxl pede and it is probably one of the more fun trucks i own. its light and fast. I would get it, and it still wheelies on my orion rocket pack.
just my experience
Were you the fastest around the track though? In a real race, the straights are mostly an afterthough, it's great if you can outperform on them but it's the corners where the race is really won or lost.

shaunmichaeljohnson has already touched on most of what I'd say on this topic, the cogging is there and it might hurt a little on the starts and marshalled re-starts. But most bashers don't notice it. As long as you are not going crawling speeds, the crawling is not a continuos thing, you accelerate out of it so you don't really notice it other than a little bit of hesitation.

It depends on how the race starts, for a heads-up start, a little bit of hesitation can mean the difference between an agressive position in front of the pack or having to defend and getting stuck in traffic. This can cost a good 5-15 seconds off your first lap. Position starts can be just as bad, esp. if you have newbs in front of you, IFMAR starts are the way to go but not every track uses them due to the timing difficulties.

The LiPo cut is a race killer, if you do anything that causes the voltage to drop (like overpower your battery for even an instant) it will kick back and there is no way to bring it back to normal short of user input. Most of the real ESCs out there have a 'soft cutoff' which is much more friendly and will recover normally.

The VXL can run a sensored motor but even so it doesn't seem to have the response or the refined feel of a mamba or novak or such. Also don't forget things like the radio, I don't know if the VXL can take advantage of faster frame times (spektrum radio) and the difference is a big thing, ~5.5mSec vs. ~20mSec I think.