Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Savage Flux or Rustler VXL

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:17 PM
zsultan
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Flux or Rustler VXL

Hi Guys,

I know there is no comparison between the two. but looking at the price difference Rustler vxl is less than half the price of Savage Flux. I am thinking is Savage Flux worth $640 + batteries ? I mean is it more than double the fun of rustler vxl?

If you do the cost benefit analysis, which one do you think is best bang for the buck?

I have a Rustler VXL, thinking about selling it and getting a Savage Flux, what do you guys think?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM
supamagician

Default RE: Savage Flux or Rustler VXL

The Savage Flux isn't out yet, so no one can really tell you how it drives or anything, but, I would say go with the flux. The nitro savages are beasts, and that is what the flux is based off of. Plus it is 4wd, and standing backflips!?!?! How in the world could a rusty be more fun than THAT? lol Just my 2 cents
Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: supamagician

The Savage Flux isn't out yet, so no one can really tell you how it drives or anything, but, I would say go with the flux. The nitro savages are beasts, and that is what the flux is based off of. Plus it is 4wd, and standing backflips!?!?! How in the world could a rusty be more fun than THAT? lol Just my 2 cents
Its out......a few guys on the board have them....
Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Savage Flux is out, I have one as do a few others.

Other than the price difference, there is no reason at all to get the VXL over the Flux, they're leagues apart in terms of performance and quality. If you can only afford the VXL by all means get it, but if you can afford the Flux there is no reason to even consider the VXL.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apples to oranges here. I'm not even going to get into the differences and advantages/disadvantages of each platform. Just get whatever you want and can afford. I'm personally biased towards the Flux though.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-10-2009, 02:14 AM
zsultan
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Other than the price difference, there is no reason at all to get the VXL over the Flux, they're leagues apart in terms of performance and quality. If you can only afford the VXL by all means get it, but if you can afford the Flux there is no reason to even consider the VXL.
I primarily fly R/C helicopters and airplanes. I had a Savage Nitro which i use to run very rarely because of nitro head aches. I want to have a fun truck i can run when not flying or when weather is not favaroble for flying. If i am a hardcore RC truck guy i would get a Savage Flux in a heart beat.
Tried slash stock and vxl, slash looks good but didnt like the performance of both the flavors, i liked rustler vxl it's fast, can wheelie and fun.
I was just debating whether its worth spending $600+ for a truck, which i will run only when i am not flying or just keep the rustler vxl which is less than half the price of savage flux and can use lipos i use to fly my helicopter.
BTW. i run the truck on pavement and short grass.

This is my story

Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 AM
04DarkShadowGT

The Savage Flux is in stock at tower last time I checked. The VXL is a fun truck, but its about as different as you can get from a 4wd monster truck.

Heck get both Thats my philosophy.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Metallover

The VXL will definately satisfy your needs. If you prefer 2wd's, get the vxl. If you want a monster truck, get the flux. the flux is a great deal no matter who you are.

The flux is a GREAT value

Figure a savage around 400, - nitro stuff 100-150, 250-300 for the truck plus a 300 dollar brushless system gets you your final cost. This isn't including all the brushless hardware like motor mount if you were to convert it. Just look at some other monster trucks. Losi's are around the same price as the flux and others are easily 500+. The savage flux is a GREAT deal.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 PM
urgeone

what about e revo or flux? I'm almost sold on e revo, but the flux is cool looking, i just heard it's alot smaller that savage x or xl?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

the flux is the exact same size as the x. it is bigger than an e-revo also.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: scarletboa

the flux is the exact same size as the x. it is bigger than an e-revo also.
Flux
Length - 21"
Width - 16.8"
Height - 10"

Erevo
Length - 22.9"
Width - 16.5"
Height - 8.3"

Hardly bigger Id say. Id say they are damn close. The erevo can also be adjusted to be higher as well, the summit is 12.6" tall.

ORIGINAL: urgeone

what about e revo or flux? I'm almost sold on e revo, but the flux is cool looking, i just heard it's alot smaller that savage x or xl?
You cant always listen to what some people on here say, check out the specs for yourself to be sure. Obviously they are both similar in size, but the erevo is geared more towards racing/bashing and the savage is more bashing. Savage's have never really been known for handling and the revos are some of the best handling MT's that you can buy.

Both trucks are great, I would say the savage would possibly be more durable, no facts to back it up either way though. But my e-revo has never broken once and it now has the MMM. The erevo brushless is more expensive by about $30 but it does come with a 2.4 ghz radio. Just a couple more weeks and it should be out. The savage is out now however.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
transam388

Alright, I will input since I now have both a Rustler VXL and a FLUX.

Your going to hate me to for this answer.

Both are very nice and very fun. I have had a Savage X SS and now got the Savage FLUX and it is much better. The Savage is a very durable truck that you can drive over terrain that the Rustler will not even think about going over. At our last parking lot bash we have a makeshift track in a parking lot and nothing could touch that Flux. Cars stop in front of it to close and you just run over them. Now here is the flip side to this. For faster more nimble steering and better response, the Rustler is better. A much smaller chassis and still has quite a punch on the throttle. I also find that running the Rustler on cement is far better than my Flux but obviously the Flux can do both.

Running a 7 cell 4600 MAH NiMH battery in the VXL will still move that thing very well (45 MPH) but the Flux will be slower on NiMH. As you stated the Flux itself being in the 600 range is a nice chunk of change and then to go LIPO in it is another few hundred. Once done though you are done and can have some wicked fun with that Flux (50+ MPH) but you need to get used to steering that beast! [8D]

Right now I would just say...don't rush into it. Neither are about to go off the market. Keep checking them out and you will probably just start to decide you like one over the other regardless of what anyone says and that is the one you should go with. Both are good and have a lot of support so in the end either should work well.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Metallover

I would say if you don't mind 2wd get a rustler and run a 4s medusa or Neu setup. It would probably beat the savage. I personally can't live with 2wd so I'd get the flux. Especially on loose dirt 2wd just doesn't cut it. If you run on pavement and do a lot of speed runs and jump in your lawn, the vxl might be the one for you.