Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

..::The Beater Builds Thread v2.0::..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:50 PM
traxxaspede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ..::The Beater Builds Thread v2.0::..

I haven't really been on this forum at all lately, I've been helping my dad with the bamboo floor, driving my Stampede, and watching Fifth Gear and Top Gear. That's pretty much everything I've been doing this summer, but I'm getting back on the forums and driving the 'Pede more. I just found a way to mount the wheels I got with the round hub instead of the hex on accident, so I could try out the Pro-Line Switch tires on my Pede. It was hard to mount them, I had to use the regular pin, a thinner hex, three wheel bushings, a flat washer and a wheel nut. It only works for the front because they could spin on the axle, but not very easily. Luckily I had one pair of regular 12mm hex wheels, so I got them on the back too. I would have to say they are a bit better than the M2K's, although they have a little less clearance and I had to gear up a little to make up for the smaller diameter tires. Right now I've got 19/90 gearing, but when I get my order from tower in, I'll put in a 86t spur, because it's geared a little high for my liking. No other recent mods besides replacing the aluminum idler with a steel one. On order from tower ive got 2 tranny cases, 2 RPM gear covers (1 of each for my dad), 3 each of 86 and 90 tooth spur gears, RPM shock spring retainers, RPM revolver wheels, and a traxxas wheelie bar mount for my dad. Hopefully it will get here before sunday, when we go camping. I think I alrady posted this, but I have a DX3 now, and I LOVE it!!

Anyway, I've been thinking about converting to a slash. What would be needed for that? I know I need chassis braces, chassis, body mounts/body and some steering linkages, but I'm not sure what else. I'm not 100 percent sure I'm going to convert, but from what I hear, the slash is better for powersliding and driving in loose dirt, and probably better handling light offroad and onraod than the stampede, which would be good, because I mainly drive in the alley (gravel) yard (loose dirt/grass) and the street.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

OK well I am ordering some stuff for my revo tonight(hopefully) I need some stuff for my bike but the season dosent start for a week or two so i will order the bike stuff next week. lol

I am getting
-RPM arms all around (blue)
-RPM front bumper(blue)
-steel hingepin set
-new skids(stockers)
-a new servo case for one of the traxxas servos im running
-the integy hex wrench set 6pcs

So the revo will finally be part of this thread. lol. also I am keeping the 3.3 chassis and ben is selling me a good mount for $10
Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM
iTz Nicholas

Here is what my RC18T looks like right now...

I need to get:

Center Driveshaft
Spur Gear
New Motor

I'm not 100% sure about the motor but I think I'm going to get a 5200kv eZRun. I also want to get some MT tires and a JConcepts Illuzion body but I need to get it running first.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95915.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1232630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94460.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1232631  
Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Krawlin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with the 5200Kv setup. More efficient, will run cooler, and more torque.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

Ok well I ordered all the rpm stuff for my revo. I skipped out on the wrenches for now. Also I forgot to order the rpm bumper but I dont think I really need it...[:@]
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
traxxaspede

Are there any drop-in diffs for the stampede that are sealed and can be filled with oil?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 PM
calvino

James, learn your lesson with shopping around . I am giving Avid RC Bearings a shot in my RC10, if they are good, they are going into my 18T as well, its got a long road to running. I should get pics up soon of my Kyosho QRC Electric/custom chassis conversion, its a slow process due to getting hung up on a motor mount... []. Other than that, and working out a few kinks it should be done by the end of the week unless I get sidetracked [&:]
Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Krawlin

ORIGINAL: calvino

James, learn your lesson with shopping around . I am giving Avid RC Bearings a shot in my RC10, if they are good, they are going into my 18T as well, its got a long road to running. I should get pics up soon of my Kyosho QRC Electric/custom chassis conversion, its a slow process due to getting hung up on a motor mount... []. Other than that, and working out a few kinks it should be done by the end of the week unless I get sidetracked [&:]

ORIGINAL: Krawlin

Calvino, please do not post it (your QRC or whatever it is) if it doesn't have durability upgrades. From what you said it only has 1 durability upgrade. Please read the first post.
I have told you this already Calvino. First post says a minimum of 2 durability upgrades. Unless your chassis is a better grade of aluminum and/or thicker than stock, it's not really a durability upgrade, and that is still only 1 upgrade. Do not post non-durability-upgraded RC's please, that's not what this thread is for. Not trying to be rude but it gets really annoying when a bunch of other people see something stock and think they can post a stock truck (Which is what happened to the old Beater Builds Thread).
Old 07-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Wild YFZ 450

Im with Krawlin on this one, Its a beater thread. I post my vehicles in here because i beat the crap out of them, Not because they are stock. Just get a few upgrades for that thing.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:43 AM
traxxaspede

Im gonna be picking up a Hitec HS-645MG servo and a Kimbrough servo saver from my LHS tomorrow. I would like a digital servo, but I don't want to spend another $20 when it's not nessecary, and also because theres about $200 in parts I want for my TB-02 right now... But $150 is brushless, and I could do without that. But I don't have anu durability upgrades so no more talking about it!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Krawlin

New update on my Maxx!

I am going to be ordering standard FLM bulkheads soon and Losi LST2 diffs. The only mods you have to do to get them to fit is use some 1/2 inch tapered PVC pipe around the outdrive bearings on the diff case and use a dremel to make the input shaft collar hole bigger. Complete LST2 diffs with aluminum case and all the internals are on ebay for cheap, and they are alot stronger than Maxx diffs.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 PM
traxxaspede

Be sure to post some pics!

I got down to my LHS today and got the 645 servo. All I can say is why didn't I get it sooner? The 3X torque helps A LOT. I didn't get a kimbrough servo saver though, they didn't have them in stock. I guess I'll have to order that from tower. And I got my order from tower in today also. New tranny case, RPM gear cover, RPM spring retainers, RPM revolvers for my Pro-Line Switch tires. I also put some sticker on my radio and toolbox. I'm a little dissapointed in the servo though. When I got it, I took it apart to look inside it and I'm not sure if thats what did it, but when I turned it on, it started going crazy moving side to side and it wouldn't stop. So I took it apart again and after looking a little, I noticed that little electronic chip has a broken solder joint. An easy fix, but still quite annoying. Oh well, I like the servo so I'll get over it.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Krawlin

You would have been better off with this servo - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Servo-S-JR-Z - I run them in my Mugen MBX5-T and they are excellent servo's I have owned several 645's and the 985's blow them out of the water. Once your 645 goes out, get a 985.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:00 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: traxxaspede

Be sure to post some pics!

I got down to my LHS today and got the 645 servo. All I can say is why didn't I get it sooner? The 3X torque helps A LOT. I didn't get a kimbrough servo saver though, they didn't have them in stock. I guess I'll have to order that from tower. And I got my order from tower in today also. New tranny case, RPM gear cover, RPM spring retainers, RPM revolvers for my Pro-Line Switch tires. I also put some sticker on my radio and toolbox. I'm a little dissapointed in the servo though. When I got it, I took it apart to look inside it and I'm not sure if thats what did it, but when I turned it on, it started going crazy moving side to side and it wouldn't stop. So I took it apart again and after looking a little, I noticed that little electronic chip has a broken solder joint. An easy fix, but still quite annoying. Oh well, I like the servo so I'll get over it.
You do have to remember that soldering errors do occur with everything.... at least you noticed it before it was to late [>:]. Chris, sorry for posting "non beater" builds... I should re-do my 18T so it can become my chief beater because its sooo overly upgraded I am just to lazy to work on it... so go figure why everything else is getting $$$$$$$$ dumped into it [&:] (someone shoot me an IM and straighten me out right ) EDIT: Chris, hows the mugen, gota shoot me an IM or something since im dying to find out how it is [X(]
Old 07-11-2009, 12:23 AM
fusebmx13

I am so happy right now. I have 5 trucks all up and running. Slash, rustler, mini revo, rc18t, and my axial. I am also going to be getting a set of pro line epic beadlocks with silver rings. They are going to have some ribs on the front and some kind of pins in the rear. I am getting them for 30 bucks. A guy at my work used them for about 5 minutes and didn't like them. So he is selling me the whole set for cheap.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Krawlin

You actually think I will IM you calvino?! No thanks......

BTW, send the servo Hitec. As far as I know, all Hitec servos have a lifetime warranty. Call them up tomorrow or Monday and see what they say, they might just replace it for free.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:48 PM
traxxaspede

No need, I fixed it in about 2 minutes and it works fine. But I'll keep that in mind if something else goes wrong.

What servo adapter am I supposed to use with Hitec servos? Because 1 and I think 3 fit. I would have liked that better servo, but $70 is a but too much for me, at least right now it is.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Krawlin

I didn't know Hitec's even came with servo adapters? Well if you are using a Hitec servo arm, you dont need an adapter, if you are using the stock traxxas servo saver/servo arm, you need a Hitec-to-Futaba adapter, because Futaba makes Traxxas's servos if I remember correctly.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:59 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Krawlin

You actually think I will IM you calvino?! No thanks......

BTW, send the servo Hitec. As far as I know, all Hitec servos have a lifetime warranty. Call them up tomorrow or Monday and see what they say, they might just replace it for free.
oook [&:]

As for the lifetime warranty, it looks like a 2 year limited one on their site. I got a few hitec TG servos used, don't really work, doubt i can send it in for warranty [:@]
Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM
traxxaspede

I know the stampede comes with 3 different adapter that attack to the servo between the servo saver. They are marked 1, 2 and 3. 1 is used on the stock servo, do you know what is used for a Hitec? Im having problems with the servo saver slipping on the servo almost every time I turn, and its really annoying. I don't ave time to go out and buy another adapter before I go camping tomorrow...I think 3 is too loose also, but 2 felt like it wouldn't go on. Would that servo work if I didn't use a servo saver? Or would it break something.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:39 PM
fusebmx13

It is not that hard to do. If it is not 1, then it has to be 2 or 3 . It is not rocket science. They give you all the adapters, you just have to find one. I don't know the numbers, I just stick one on there and drive. If it slips I change it out.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:49 PM
traxxaspede

Well, they all slip, but I know that 3 fits because the servo and the adapter are both 23 splines. For now I'm just using the big black circle instead of a servo saver. Is that smart to do or will I break something right away?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:57 PM
calvino

Well, they all slip, but I know that 3 fits because the servo and the adapter are both 23 splines. For now I'm just using the big black circle instead of a servo saver. Is that smart to do or will I break something right away?
Since you have a MG servo I dont *THINK* it will be an issue, just dont go clipping things at high speeds. I have run a direct drive to a HS-65MG on my 18T (which gets ALOT of crashing) for almost a year now with no issues. Main idea is, don't hit stuff as it will cause premature servo death [:-]
Old 07-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Krawlin

Would that servo work if I didn't use a servo saver? Or would it break something.
I would not run without a servo saver in any RC that weighs more than like 3.5 pounds. The forces involved with just normal driving can be pretty high and you can strip gears. I run a 645 in my E-Maxx though, I ran it without a servo saver for a while but ended up stripping the gears every time it rolled, now I run a Kimbrough servo saver and haven't had an issue since. I am probably going to convert my E-Maxx steering setup over to the 3905 E-Maxx setup, not dual servos but the integrated servo saver, alot of people recommended that setup to me at the LHS. I am not familiar with the Stampede steering setup, but if it uses bellcranks and such like the Slash, I would suggest trying to find a company that makes an integrated servo saver.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 PM
traxxaspede

This is the closest picture I could find of the steering on a stampede. Its basically servo>servo saver>steering links>steering knuckles

I personally dont like that setup, as it seems to put a LOT of stress on the servo case, which is why ive been through two cases on the stok servo. For now (sunday-tuesday) I'll run it without a servo saver, but when I get back from camping I'll get a Kimbrough servo saver from my LHS or from Tower.

I also notice that when I turn the steering full lock either way and fully compress the suspension, the front wheels hit the a-arm, so that limits my steering travel. Right now on my DX3 the steering EPA is set to 100, but i would like it be the maximum 125. Not sure if that's too much, but I like all the steering angle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.