Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

EZRUN / HOBBYWING Brushless kits - Who is actually running these?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

EZRUN / HOBBYWING Brushless kits - Who is actually running these?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 AM
NitroAssassin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZRUN / HOBBYWING Brushless kits - Who is actually running these?

iI seen these kits all over ebay and they look kind of interesting.. Idon't expect them to be as good as my Velineon or Mamba but for the price it might be a cool experiment to put one in a old rustler i have laying around.. WHo is actually running these kits? Iseen they have 35amp - 150amp esc, with 5.5turn to 13.5turn... how the heck can a ESCrated at 35amp survive being connected to a lipo battery and 9turn motor in a 1/10 stadium truck? lol

Can anybody give me some real feedback how their ezruns/hobbywings have been working for them..

thanks

Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EZRUN / HOBBYWING Brushless kits - Who is actually running these?

The owner of my LHS has seen a few run, some died some didn't. Not too consistent from what I've seen.

Frankly, anyone who is serious about going brushless should fork over the cash for a decent setup. 
Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 AM
NitroAssassin

ya Ididn't expect them to be as rugged as the Velineon or mamba.. I drive my trucks hard with these systems and they haven't failed me yet. The Velineon is used mainly for asphalt racing but it still gets put through the paces.. I'd like to hear from people who are currently running them in their offroad buggys or trucks. Just seems way off to offer a 35amp ESCwith a 9 - 13turn motor when a 19turn can pull 30+amps under load... I can't see this making sense.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

i run one in my 4wd 1/10th buggy and my buddy has one in his zx-5 both are pretty nice and neither of us has had problems
Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Cheap Guy

I've bought and run four of the EZRun 35a/13T versions in my four Rustlers and they are great - no problems whatsoever. There are a bunch of threads on this and other forums, including videos. From what I've read, most of us are more than satisfied with the EZRuns, especially given the price paid. Yes, you have to be careful with the gearing, no, they're probably not as fast as a Velineon or Mamba, but again for the price, they are way better than any of the brushed motors I've used, with the benefit of no maintenance.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:59 AM
lam1na

I'm running 35A with 13t motor on lipo in 4wd 1/10 truck, motor gets a little hot, that's all
Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 PM
04DarkShadowGT

I bought one of the 80A 1/8 scale escs for  my e-maxx since I already had a motor.  It cost me $75 shipped with a programming card.  It runs fine but runs hotter than my mamba monster setup in my e-revo.

But as for 1/10 scale setups, they seem to be right arond $100, you can get a sidewinder 4600 system from tower for $135 then if you are a member they have a $20 off coupon, then add $10 for shipping.  Id rather spend the extra $25 for a castle system, but I dont think they are bad by any means.  Just no domestic support really.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Redvanmafia

ORIGINAL: sheograth

The owner of my LHS has seen a few run, some died some didn't. Not too consistent from what I've seen.

Frankly, anyone who is serious about going brushless should fork over the cash for a decent setup.
Couldnt of said it better, dont get in cheap
Old 06-16-2009, 01:45 PM
kahnen

I use a 35a/9t combo in my losi xxx-t. I've been useing it for about 4 months with no problems. Race on the weekends with it(club level) on a tight technical track with out any problems of cogging at slow cornering, braking and hammering on the gas etc. I use 2s lipos, with some cheap stick nimh packs I get some cogging towards the end of the packs, though.

I was nervous about the low amp rating of the esc too when I purchased it but I haven't thermaled it yet. I also gear it conservatively, not needing alot of gearing on my small track. I was told(by other online users) a couple of reasons of why the low amp rating works. Underated and another one about the condition they use when rating it( meaning under normal use you won't meet those conditions) neither, I know for sure or can confirm. I just know it works

Highest motor temp I've seen so far is 120f(again with conservitive gearing) running 9cell nimhs for some speed runs which got me to 40 mph(by radar)The esc has stayed warm, I could hold onto it forever, so I never tempted it.

As said above, it may not be the best system but its a good replacement of a brushed motor systems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjpOSTFZGN4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ket-vxnbm8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsZFzwcqQOE

Edit: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8457415/tm.htm -the actual Ezrun thread.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:49 PM
NitroAssassin

no problems with a 35amp / 9 turn combo.. that is what I found misleading.. How the heck are they rating their ESC's .....
Old 06-16-2009, 04:21 PM
Cheap Guy

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

People made comments that the Traxxas Rustler was a cheap RC - bought four, no major problems.
People made comments that the EZrun was cheap. I bought four - no problems
People made comments that the Zippy lipos were cheap - I've bought ten - no problems
People made comments that the Duratrax Onyx 230 was a great charger with a good name - burned out in five months, and they gave me a hassle when I asked for a warranty repair.

Cheap isn't always a bad thing. I just try to do a little research before buying something non-mainstream.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:29 PM
jrock0012

I'm running the 60amp 8.5turn 4000kv combo in my HPIE-Firestorm on 2s 5000mah lipo with stock gearing and the thing flys, can pull wheelies at 20mph. My motor runs between 125f and 140f and the esc runs about 115f and thats beating the snot out of it. I've been running it for about 2 months now and that's like once every two days or so. It's also my first brushless system so I have nothing to compare it to, but for what i'm looking for this system is great. And once my 4.6 dies in my Savage x SS i'll be picking up the Ezrun 150amp combo.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 PM
04DarkShadowGT

ORIGINAL: Cheap Guy

ORIGINAL: Redvanmafia

People made comments that the Traxxas Rustler was a cheap RC - bought four, no major problems.
People made comments that the EZrun was cheap. I bought four - no problems
People made comments that the Zippy lipos were cheap - I've bought ten - no problems
People made comments that the Duratrax Onyx 230 was a great charger with a good name - burned out in five months, and they gave me a hassle when I asked for a warranty repair.

Cheap isn't always a bad thing. I just try to do a little research before buying something non-mainstream.

Why would you buy four rustlers?Why not mix it up a bit.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
madmax22

on nitrorcx.com they are pretty cheap! I think im going to get the 150A one for my thunder tiger ST-1 (1/8 truggy)
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Redvanmafia

Dont go cheap, some magical people can go cheap with no problems but most of us will. i went cheap once, wont do that again
Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 PM
madmax22

My zippy lipo's are right up there with my better named lipo's... and cost about 1/2 of the name brand ones....
Old 06-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Cheap Guy

[/quote]

Why would you buy four rustlers?Why not mix it up a bit.

[/quote]

So everyone in the family can play - two big kids and two little kids, LOL. That's why the EZRun's have been a good deal for me since I always have to buy more than one of everything. Were it not for the EZRun and the Zippy lipos, I'd still be running Stingers and XL-5's with 3300mah batteries.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:51 PM
kahnen

ORIGINAL: NitroAssassin

no problems with a 35amp / 9 turn combo.. that is what I found misleading.. How the heck are they rating their ESC's .....
I don't know how they are rated, honestly. I googled for like 2 hrs last night trying to find someplace that says too. I even tried to find the couple of posts I've seen for the non official explanations and I can't remember what site/who wrote the post. There is alot of posts on the web about ezruns though.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

i ran one it my 18mt it was fine..

wat i looked at for a 4300kv ish motor is about 65 dollars, for 5 or 10 more you can buy a vxl motor
Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 PM
hakmazter

They all have issues. I have seen as many bad Castles and Tekins through the years as I have seen Hobbywings at least in the 1/8 scale category. As soon as someone gets smart and makes a real esc, it will be lights out for them and everyone will run them.

I think the biggest problem with hobbywing is that they really do not have a U.S. presence, but are more of a "order on ebay from hong kong dirty little secret" reputation based company. They need to change that to gain legitimacy in the marketplace over here. I personally run a 80 amp one and have had no problems BUT you have to run a sensorless motor.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:49 PM
kahnen

Well I finally found the source of my thoughts on how they rate the esc. It was in a thread on lipo C rating. LOL

Hobbywing rates by the fet amp capacity like some other manufacturers,however they rate @ the 100 degrees celsius rating of the fet. Whichwill bring the amp rating down considerably. No system runs at 100degrees celsius though, your esc is unlikely to see anything over 90Fwhilst running. Hence it's actual continuous rating will be a lot (andI mean a lot) higher than 35a.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_85...tm.htm#8596801

Again, I don't know for sure if this is accurate, hopefully if Lilredmachine sees this he will share where he got the info from, but it would explain why a 35a speedo will handle 1/10 scale rc.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Churron
My Feedback: (5)

ive got a 60a 5.5t in my slash and it runs great, given it is way to mush and turns the slash into a kite if you get on it the wrong way, it has stood up to the beating i put my slash through.

i was impressed enough with the way in handles in my slash that i bought another one for one of my touring cars. got both of mine on ebay from rcmart for less then 90 shipped

im sold