Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

!! TAMIYA SUPER CLOD !! Should i buy one??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:02 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default !! TAMIYA SUPER CLOD !! Should i buy one??

Hey, im contemplatin on getting a super clod and was just wondering about how it performs and if its worth it!!

Could somebody please tell me the pros and cons of this truck??

THANKS!!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:23 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: !! TAMIYA SUPER CLOD !! Should i buy one??

My brother owns one, they're definitely fun trucks. Plus Tamiya's kits have always been fun to build.
For more info...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_46..._1/key_/tm.htm

Pros:
It's a pretty big truck.
Fun to build and drive.
Easy to follow instructions.
Can be set for power or economy with the flip of a switch.
Chrome body version available(costs more).

Cons:
Comes with bushings instead of ball bearings.
Not Ready To Run(bad for people who MUST have RTRs)
Comes with manual speed control.
Has styrene body(good for realism, but bad for durability), can be replaced with lexan body for bashing.

All in all, its a classic monster truck that's as fun to drive as it is to look at.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the original Clod back when I was a kid and it was a great truck. Never broke a single part in all the years I owned it. Keep in mind that it is not very fast so if you're looking for a fast basher then you will either need to upgrade the motors or look at something else. What is great about the Clod is it will go almost anywhere even in snow.

I believe there is a newer version out right now that comes with an ESC so that's no longer a con.

Pros

- Big old go anywhere realistic monster truck.
- Tamiya quality.
- It a kit..... Nothing more fun than building it yourself.
- Tons of after market support.
- Tough as nails
- Huge fun to drive.
- Gearbox's are tough enough to handle any motors you might wanna throw at it later.
- Awesome hard plastic body for realism.

Cons

- Kind slow (but realistic) with stock motors.
- Comes with plastic bushings. Needs 20 bearing total and these can be expensive.
- Needs a serious servo to turn the front tires. The old stand by Futaba won't cut it here.

Over all I loved my Clod and I wish I'd never parted with it but it was pretty beat after years of hard service. I've been looking at getting another one for quite sometime now. I just haven't done so just yet
Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 PM
plasmaedge

thanks for the help!

Ill definately look into getting one but it wont be for some time because of the price.

just wonderin, wats with the dual steereing? I no the real monster trucks have it but wont it make it unstable for turning at high speeds??

Any way, if i got one id probably just stick with the stock motors or ones with quite a bit of torque for bashing!! it wouldnt be very realistic with brushlees
Old 09-25-2009, 04:51 PM
sheograth

As others have mentioned, it's somewhat outdated in stock form. There is however a huge aftermarket following, including full conversions.