Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Eman77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

ORIGINAL: neillarson

Depending on whether your a north sider or a south sider, to the north in wheeling is a GREAT LHS called Venture Hobbies. Also to the north and northwest there is a good Hobby Town in Northbrook, Schaumberg, St Charles and Crystal Lake. The one is Crystal Lake is working on a new location so they can build a indoor and an outdoor track. Not sure about the near south, but there is a great shop and track in Joliet, Liesure Hours. Has indoor dirt, outdoor dirt and outdoor pavement. It hosted the 2009 Nitro Dirt Nationals and is hosting the 2010 Electric Dirt Nationals.
I didn't know there was a Hobby Town in St. Charles - I'm in Batavia (about 20 min away). What's interesting is that for how populated the Chicago area is, there aren't a ton of decent LHSs in reasonable driving distances. It kind of shocked me, since when I moved here and got back into R/C, I assumed (like others posting here) that since Chicago is so big, there would be tons nearby.

There aren't. (Same goes for brewing supplies, by the way, but that's another story).

Also, saying "suburb of Chicago" is different than saying "suburb of Cincinnati" (for example). You can be 2 hours from the city and still be a "suburb". In Ohio, it takes me like 40 minutes to get from Kettering (suburb of Dayton...a city!) to a suburb of Cincy. And no, Dayton is not a suburb of Cincy. Point is, the Chicago "area" is way bigger than folks often realize.

Back to my point....I'll have to check out that Hobby Town in St. Charles. The last Hobby Town I went to was Naperville/Aurora, and they had crappy customer service (and parts), so I never went back.

Now I work near a LHS in Naperville (Remote Control Hobbies), and the guys there are great. Problem is, they stock no Tamiya parts, and very little E-Savage (but lots of nitro Savage). They're big on Traxxas, like most LHS. I support them when I can, but they often just don't carry what I need.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:10 PM
thzero

It's no longer Venture Hobbies btw, its now Don's Hobbies. HT in St. Charles is at the corner of Kirk and 64. Hobby shops are ok, but there aren't any tracks. The only good track, at least I know of, is Leisure Hobbies in Joilet. For me thats way too far of drive especially on week days. HT's really vary (heck, hobby shops in general do), but the one in St. Charles has always been good with knowledge the few times I've been in. They also host "parking lot" racing too on Sats during the spring/summer/fall. The HT in Schaumburg is fairly new; not sure about their expertise, but they are at least friendly and nice.

There is also Al's Hobby in Elmhurst that is really good, although honestly I think they cater more to the heli/airplane crowd.

I wouldn't imagine they would get all that much call for E-Savage parts, so thats why they wouldn't stock them. Savage X parts can be used on any of the Savage Xs along with even some of the older Savages, and of course the new replacement for the E-Savage, the Savage Flux.

They might be able to get small orders in though. I've gone through Don's, the HT in Schaumburg and even the St. Charles one when I know I'll be heading to see friends in that area. And its often cheaper to pay for the part+tax from an LHS than order it online and pay shipping, especially for small orders.

ORIGINAL: Eman77

I didn't know there was a Hobby Town in St. Charles - I'm in Batavia (about 20 min away). What's interesting is that for how populated the Chicago area is, there aren't a ton of decent LHSs in reasonable driving distances. It kind of shocked me, since when I moved here and got back into R/C, I assumed (like others posting here) that since Chicago is so big, there would be tons nearby.

Back to my point....I'll have to check out that Hobby Town in St. Charles. The last Hobby Town I went to was Naperville/Aurora, and they had crappy customer service (and parts), so I never went back.

Now I work near a LHS in Naperville (Remote Control Hobbies), and the guys there are great. Problem is, they stock no Tamiya parts, and very little E-Savage (but lots of nitro Savage). They're big on Traxxas, like most LHS. I support them when I can, but they often just don't carry what I need.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:11 PM
neillarson
My Feedback: (1)

Here is the link to the St Charles store:

http://h1069662.hobbyshopnow.com/
Old 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

If you want to talk about your LHS then why don't you start a thread about them. Let's get this one back on the topic of the 4wd Slash...............
Old 11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
micro guy

Ok, well im thinking about getting asking for this for Christmas. If i do i will gear it at 19/45 and have a 3s lipo with it. What lipo do you guys reccomend? I like it being 4x4, and brushless, otherwise i would have or ask for the regular slash. Im just basically wondering if it is worth $400.

I know its early but i would like to wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas. I hope you all get the rc goodies you want this year!

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 PM
t9dragon

Release date looks like it might be December 10th.........
Old 12-19-2009, 05:01 AM
it8ezbngrn

Anybody get thiers yet? I'm still waiting on Tower to ship mine.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Bigbangtheory

I would have went 4x4 if I had the funds.........oh wel, ish happens.

Looks like a grand truck. Hopefully one day I will own one, but I was always under the impression if you can drive RWD, you can drive anything in the RC world?

I just picked up my Slash a week or so ago and love it. Will keep it stock for now till I grow bored and then upgrade it.......or maybe pick one of these up. Who knows. I just know the bug has bitten me!
Old 12-19-2009, 02:47 PM
streiter10

redcats is nice, 4wd 2 lipos, 2.4 radio, all for around 300 on rctoysnh.com
Old 12-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I just bought mine. 154 out the door.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:52 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: streiter10

redcats is nice, 4wd 2 lipos, 2.4 radio, all for around 300 on rctoysnh.com

You can't compare a Redcat to a 4wd Slash.............
Old 12-19-2009, 06:53 PM
t9dragon

My 4wd Slash will be here Monday....
Old 12-19-2009, 08:29 PM
it8ezbngrn

From Tower? I ordered mine months ago and my CC shows a pending payment on the 17th and TH shows my order still as back ordered. I did order the blue/yellow body so maybe thats why. I also show an order at Tower on the 17th that was cancelled. Thing is I didn't order anything on the 17th. So I guess I have to call and see whats up.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Bigbangtheory

I would for certain call............never hurts anyway.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 12-20-2009, 02:12 PM
brenthampton79

my 4wd slash will be here wed. !!! can't wait 4 lipos charged and waiting
Old 12-22-2009, 08:34 PM
it8ezbngrn

Mine will be here soon. Wierd thing happened though....TH called and emailed me and said that they didnt have the yell/blu and I could get the black/red and red/blk or stay on back order. I told them I ordered the first day of the pre order. So they sya they didnt get as many and tell me thier sorry. So not even five minutes later I recieve an email saying my payment was approved. Then the status of the order changes to "being picked and packed in the wherehouse" and by the end of the day its being shipped. What?????? So what was that about? Are they pushing the red/blk & blk/red colors?

Anyway if someone can confirm 3.8 size rear wheels from a stampede fit that would be great. I would like to put bigger wheels and a different body or a body lift and possible put this in place of my revo. I can't see spending $200 to BL my revo and not be able toi run it in wet conditions. A stock E revo even with 7 cell 5000mah nimhs is nothing spectacular.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
brenthampton79

Got my 4wd slash a day early!!! got it home about an hour ago and couldn't stand it, Had to run it, and its a blast! The 4wd really makes it hook up!! I ran mine with a zippy lipo 2s 4000mah 25c, its a blast! Can't wait to run it some more tomorrow!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:40 AM
t9dragon

My 4wd Slash showed up at the LHS yesterday (Monday) went and picked it up today. WOW it is nice...............
Old 12-23-2009, 11:30 AM
ElectricGuy007

Guys at the track bought some. I dont know but they didnt say much about racing them. I beileve they like the challenge of a 2wd better.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:24 PM
it8ezbngrn

Check this out. From my post above, I said they didnt have mine, then they did like 5 minutes later and that day it was shipped. That was monday (2 days ago) Today (Wednesday) its arriving at my house. I only paid for standard shipping. That is teh fastest TH has ever sent my orders. Hope to post some pics soon. I need to find some Stampede wheels to borrow.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:32 PM
it8ezbngrn

So is this the "thread"? cause I feel like there should be more of us here.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:04 PM
t9dragon

Yep this is the thread to post in. Once more people start getting their 4x4 Slashes there will be more posting.....................

I guess I need to get lights for mine otherwise I won't be able to drive it till Fridat or Saturday. I go to work and it is dark out and I get home from work and it is dark out.

I have looked over the exploded views of the 4x4 and it doesn;t share mant parts with it's 2wd brother. I was also told by the owner of the LHS that parts wouldn't be available for it till the first or second week of January.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:44 AM
it8ezbngrn

I sold mine aleady. Sold it as a roller. kept the VXL for my E-Revo. Gonna do the V-Twin (dual VXL). I just didn't have any of teh parts I wanted yet and looked on line and the prices were high and I though I'd better do it now. So I ordered another just now. Sold it for $180. No tires, no VXL, no batt & no radio. Just chassis, servo and body. When I listed mine there was one just like mine with tires and it was at $212 with 20hrs left.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM
f0rmula_2001

I got home to a new slash 4x4 waiting for me last night. I am pretty impressed with it so far. I didnt get to take it out and open it up. I did run 2 batteries through it in the garage. It seems to have great power. I really like the design and layout of the chassis. It seems really good and sturdy. There are a few things that I dont like. There is a lot of wobble in the wheels. Part could be fixed with shims behind the hub, but the whole carrier assembly seems loose. The other thing is the driveshafts seem like they are going to break quick. So hopefully cvds will be on the way soon. The link system seemed like it would be a little confusing but I didnt try it out because I used dx3s. I have a platinum coming so this one might be ebayed soon. [img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lj22412.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1340988   Click image for larger version

Name:	pk30904.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1340989   Click image for larger version

Name:	wb76426.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1340990   Click image for larger version

Name:	fz74917.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1340991  
Old 12-26-2009, 03:17 AM
it8ezbngrn

Part it. You come out ahead. Rolling chassis sold for $230ish. Thas with tires, body and servo. Mine went for $180 BIN with body servo no tires. Sold them for $50BIN and the radio for $85 BIN. Batt has yet to sell but they fetch $30 or so.You can get $120 for a VXL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.