Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 02:25 PM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Can you guys tell me if the nuts and bolts on this thing are SAE or Metric?

Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Doxiedad
My Feedback: (4)

So now that some people have their hands on them any complaints, dissapointments??
Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metric.............
Old 12-26-2009, 06:24 PM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Metric.............
not sure? or what?
Old 12-26-2009, 08:28 PM
TQamazer

I really like the new 4X4 slash....I just wish it wasnt so expensive ya know
Old 12-26-2009, 08:40 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: mrjon53

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Metric.............
not sure? or what?
The screws and nuts are metric.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:48 AM
losifiend

Mine and my first impression of teh truck.

I drove it for the first time yesterday. I wasn't surprised by the VXL because I had a VXL slash before and it was awesome. But this one seems squirrelyer out the box and could use a shock oil adjustment. Steering is awesome. It takes a bit of adjusting of the breaking %( I use a DX3R) to get it to correct effectively in the air for landings when the nose is pointed to the sky. But on 2S it doesn't have enough RPMs to correct a nose dive, like my 8E does.

On 3S its useless unless you don't plan on turning or slowing down to a crawl then turn because it will roll immediately. I could see that being fun on loose dirt with a set of paddles on, or at the sand dunes. But at the track or on the street keep to 2S.

Make sure you set your steering end points because the servo horn will touch the drive shaft at full travel. You only loose about 5% steering when adjusted which isn't noticeable because the truck has too much steering, actually.

I'm going to be upgrading my ESC to a MM or maybe even a MMM. I will be keeping the motor though as it runs cooler than the Castle ones and even though its a Feigao based motor, its actually very efficient and provides great run time.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:39 PM
ForkliftJeff

I'm new to the Slash scene and its pretty sweet. I got mine for christmas and so far only had it out once but it was awesome! I just ran the stock 7cell pack and it went good. I've got a couple 3s packs to try out still. Hoping to get some paddles before new years eve cause I'm heading down to Ocean Park, WA. 3s + 4 paddle tires + lots of sandy beach = good times.

The only real problem I noticed was that small rocks get inside the driveshaft area and scratch the crap out of the shaft. I could actually hear the driveshaft screaming as it went by cause there was a rock stuck in there. I'm thinkin I'll remove that clear plastic cover. It'd be nice to block the front where the rocks come in. Maybe they will put out some kind of cover or something to help with that.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: ForkliftJeff

I'm new to the Slash scene and its pretty sweet. I got mine for christmas and so far only had it out once but it was awesome! I just ran the stock 7cell pack and it went good. I've got a couple 3s packs to try out still. Hoping to get some paddles before new years eve cause I'm heading down to Ocean Park, WA. 3s + 4 paddle tires + lots of sandy beach = good times.

The only real problem I noticed was that small rocks get inside the driveshaft area and scratch the crap out of the shaft. I could actually hear the driveshaft screaming as it went by cause there was a rock stuck in there. I'm thinkin I'll remove that clear plastic cover. It'd be nice to block the front where the rocks come in. Maybe they will put out some kind of cover or something to help with that.

You would cause less stress on the drive train if you ran razors on the front instead of paddles.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Ken448

What are your guys' motor temps averaging?? My PE shall be here soon, and Im just throwing stuff around in my head.
Will be running 2S and every now and then 3S just for added fun, and track practice with a faster truck always makes the slower REAL race easier to drive
Old 12-28-2009, 07:47 PM
losifiend

I ran mine for 1/2 of a 2S pack 2 days ago throwing off the skate ramp and in my front yard and it got up to 102*. I haven't got to the track yet though but dont think the motor will be getting too hot with the stock gearing, even on 3S.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 AM
klaben1

i ordered mine this morning!!!!! now i can make some hot pockets sit in front of the computer and refresh the ups tracking page. i payed 386 for mine but who has the best deal?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 AM
Ken448

Tower.. If you are a member, I paid $324
Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 AM
klaben1

wow and i actually am a member oh well boca had them in stock so eh whatever i just want to use it though, its snowing like crazy here and i want to make use of the 4x4 madness
Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 AM
KindSmoker

Hey fellas,just ordered a Slash 4x4 from Amain,got the 3 day shipping so it should be here by this weekend. This is my first real RC vehicle so i am a complete novice in the hobby and have a question about batteries and chargers. I keep seeing this stuff about Traxxas connectors on batteries, i am not really sure what the difference is between these and other connector types. I have been doing some research and it looks like the Turnigy Lipo batteries seem to be the best deal out there but i am not sure if they would have the right connector type for this truck? Also i am wondering if i have to get some type of special charger that works with these connector types? Would anybody have any Lipo charger recommendations that are very simple to use for someone who is a mechanical idiot like myself? Also i would be completely open to any other battery recommendations that are similar in price to the Turnigy Lipos?  I am excited to get my truck but am also pretty intimidated after reading on  a couple of forums the past couple of days,just seems like you have to be a real mechanically inclined type of guy to enjoy this hobby,which i am NOT. Thanks for your time,i would be glad to accept any advice for a noob that any of you may have.

KindSmoker
Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 AM
trf

any thoughts about the Platinum Edition?

are those hop-ups good to anything than bling?

are thos hop-ups compete with the miss of the TQ 2.4 GHz system ???[:-]
Old 12-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Ken448

ORIGINAL: trf

any thoughts about the Platinum Edition?

are those hop-ups good to anything than bling?

are thos hop-ups compete with the miss of the TQ 2.4 GHz system ???[:-]

yes, for a racer,... Center diff, sway bar and aluminum parts that are KNOWN to break on the 2wd, and a body WE can paint.. In trade for a radio and battery we (racers with preferred radio equipment) will never use and just sell anyways!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 AM
klaben1

wait the two versions have a different drivetrain?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Ken448

no, the center diff comes WITH the PE, but is not installed.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 PM
klaben1

center diff??? can you explain this please what is the difference beetween the 2 and how does the driveshaft work with a diff in the middle?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Ken448

in short, a slipper will apply power to all 4 wheels when it is engaged. A center diff will apply power to the wheels with the least resistance applied first (ie if the front gets light during a wheelie, the center diff sends more power up front) Works just like a regular diff on an axle, but if tuned correctly allows you to drive in and through corners MUCH faster.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 AM
ForkliftJeff

ORIGINAL: KindSmoker

Hey fellas,just ordered a Slash 4x4 from Amain,got the 3 day shipping so it should be here by this weekend. This is my first real RC vehicle so i am a complete novice in the hobby and have a question about batteries and chargers. I keep seeing this stuff about Traxxas connectors on batteries, i am not really sure what the difference is between these and other connector types. I have been doing some research and it looks like the Turnigy Lipo batteries seem to be the best deal out there but i am not sure if they would have the right connector type for this truck? Also i am wondering if i have to get some type of special charger that works with these connector types? Would anybody have any Lipo charger recommendations that are very simple to use for someone who is a mechanical idiot like myself? Also i would be completely open to any other battery recommendations that are similar in price to the Turnigy Lipos? I am excited to get my truck but am also pretty intimidated after reading on a couple of forums the past couple of days,just seems like you have to be a real mechanically inclined type of guy to enjoy this hobby,which i am NOT. Thanks for your time,i would be glad to accept any advice for a noob that any of you may have.

KindSmoker

I say ditch the Traxxas battery conncectors and go with Deans connectors. As for a charger, I'm using the Triton EQ Charger/Balancer. It works great and is simple to use.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 AM
losifiend

I swapped out the front shock 2 hole pistons for the single hole pistons and added 50Wt oil. I also filled the rears with Losi 45WT oil and it made a huuuuge difference.

Got it out on the track and it did awesome when it could get traction. The tires need to be replaced next. But unfortunately I was using my old VXL, because I sold the one that came with it to get a MM ESC, and it went out after just 3 laps.[:@]

I ordered my MM ESC before I left to the track and it should be here by Saturday from Tower.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:36 PM
klaben1

thats awesome that they give you a center diff with it so i should stick with the slipper for bashing right? and what does PE mean lol sorry ive never heard that.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: klaben1

thats awesome that they give you a center diff with it so i should stick with the slipper for bashing right? and what does PE mean lol sorry ive never heard that.

PE = Platinum Edition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.