Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 AM
it8ezbngrn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Ludeman,

Any slop in the hubs? The wheel doesn't wobble at all right? cuase if theres any I'll go back to getting a non PE. I just wanted a PE for the shocks and hubs.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:16 PM
overrev

Bought me a slash P.E. 4x4 yesterday. When I got it home I when through it to make sure everything was tight and used blue locktite all metal parts then adjust the camber. I have only ran one battery pack through it,I'm very impressed at how well it handles and the vxl system is alright but will be putting the medusa 4800 and mm esc. in it soon.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
ludeman

ORIGINAL: it8ezbngrn

Ludeman,

Any slop in the hubs? The wheel doesn't wobble at all right? cuase if theres any I'll go back to getting a non PE. I just wanted a PE for the shocks and hubs.

No wobble it's very tight.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
overrev

If you have wobble it either the wheel or the stub axles are bent. My P.E. has no wobble. I have bent the stub axles on my 2 wd. slash but it has been my fault for crashing so violently. I have found that all cars have there weakness's. I'm very pleased with mine.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM
it8ezbngrn

Not necessarly. Sometime this just wobble out the box. Like if the tolerances are off. Little gaps here and there add up. The Revo VXL used sloppy pivot balls. It was just built that way.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 PM
rich64

The things I like about the 4x4 Slash are that it is brushless and waterproof. I also like the scale looks where the tires fit in the wheelwells. The one thing that makes me nervous about it's durability is that the suspension and axle sections are attatched to the chasis by only two screws. I feel this area needs beefing up. I hate to see what happena after a hard hit on either end.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
mrjon53
My Feedback: (3)

ordered my PE from tower hobbies dec 31, still waiting as they say mid jan. was early jan when i placed the order. so as far as adjusting the camber right out of the box are you guys finding the need for the front and rear or just one of the two?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
overrev

I like to go through my car before i run it. Right know I have the camber set at -2 degrees front and rear and adjusted the rear toe from 4 degrees to 1 degrees. Now I need to test it on the track once it stops raining.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rich64

The things I like about the 4x4 Slash are that it is brushless and waterproof. I also like the scale looks where the tires fit in the wheelwells. The one thing that makes me nervous about it's durability is that the suspension and axle sections are attatched to the chasis by only two screws. I feel this area needs beefing up. I hate to see what happena after a hard hit on either end.
What two screws? If you are refering to the set screw that holds the axle to the diff outputs they will hold up just fine to any bashing.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 AM
nitroade

Just picked up my PE today and installed a spare Spektrum receiver. Looking forward to my first bashing session although will have to wait a bit to do the paint. A little too damp these days and want it to turn out right.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

i ordered my PE today, should be here by the 20th ... if its traxxas tough as a slash or slayer this is gonna be one fun truck
Old 01-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Ken448

I am starting to REALLY not like this truck. To the point of thinking about selling it. I cannot get it to steer for anything. How can the 2wd have oversteer and the 3 diff 4wd have NO STEER!?! I know they are 2 different platforms, but am completely amazed on how different they are. The only thing the same is they share the Slash name.

What I have tried:
Slipper/diffs
Slipper in/out
Center diff still at 100k
swapped the front and rear diffs ("30k" in the rear and grease in the front) That worked A LITTLE
Losi 10k in front 3/4 full and "30k" in rear

Shocks:
70wt all the way around with stock oil and springs
50wt Losi in front with green Losi Springs
35wt in rear with green Losi springs
35wt in rear with blue Losi springs
(all 2 hole pistons)
Layed them down, stood them up etc.
Sees no matter what I do, the truck bottoms on every jump

Sways Bars:
Stock setup
none
front thin only
front thick only
front and rear thick

Servo:
Disabled saver and added my own on the servo (stock seems REALLY weak)
Changed servo to HiTec HS 645MG

ESC:
Changed to Mamba Max ESC and dialed in some drag brake to get me into the corners. Still have no on power steering

Im at a loss here guys, Im not racing on dirt, and I think thats the root of my problems. Im running indoor offroad carpet with LOTS of traction, and several jumps I am able to float over easily. Even though the truck slaps chassis like a 2wd buggy, it does jump decent. With the center diff installed, the front EASILY unloads as weight transfers to the rear tires ALL THE TIME while on power. Down the straight, I get ballooning of the fronts.

On a good note: I have broken or bent nothing despite fighting the truck around the track for 2 days now. Ill admit, Im not the best chassis setup guy, but I AM a good driver, and can generally adapt my driving style to make a truck fast, but I just cannot turn a fast lap with this thing to save my life!!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:04 PM
overrev

Try different camber the front -2.5 or -3 degrees up front with -1.5 degrees in the rear. What tires are you running?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Ken448

did camber ant toe all the way around too. Stock tires.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM
overrev

I have the P.E. and this is the set up I run -3 camber up front -1.5 camber rear,1 degree toe rear 0 dregee up front,shocks left to stock settings and so are the sway bars. This works good for my driving style.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:28 PM
overrev

I have the P.E. and this is the set up I run -3 camber up front -1.5 camber rear,1 degree toe rear 0 dregee up front,shocks left to stock settings and so are the sway bars. This works good for my driving style. You might need a different tire for carpet though.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:39 PM
ludeman

ORIGINAL: Ken448

I am starting to REALLY not like this truck. To the point of thinking about selling it. I cannot get it to steer for anything. How can the 2wd have oversteer and the 3 diff 4wd have NO STEER!?! I know they are 2 different platforms, but am completely amazed on how different they are. The only thing the same is they share the Slash name.

What I have tried:
Slipper/diffs
Slipper in/out
Center diff still at 100k
swapped the front and rear diffs (''30k'' in the rear and grease in the front) That worked A LITTLE
Losi 10k in front 3/4 full and ''30k'' in rear

Shocks:
70wt all the way around with stock oil and springs
50wt Losi in front with green Losi Springs
35wt in rear with green Losi springs
35wt in rear with blue Losi springs
(all 2 hole pistons)
Layed them down, stood them up etc.
Sees no matter what I do, the truck bottoms on every jump

Sways Bars:
Stock setup
none
front thin only
front thick only
front and rear thick

Servo:
Disabled saver and added my own on the servo (stock seems REALLY weak)
Changed servo to HiTec HS 645MG

ESC:
Changed to Mamba Max ESC and dialed in some drag brake to get me into the corners. Still have no on power steering

Im at a loss here guys, Im not racing on dirt, and I think thats the root of my problems. Im running indoor offroad carpet with LOTS of traction, and several jumps I am able to float over easily. Even though the truck slaps chassis like a 2wd buggy, it does jump decent. With the center diff installed, the front EASILY unloads as weight transfers to the rear tires ALL THE TIME while on power. Down the straight, I get ballooning of the fronts.

On a good note: I have broken or bent nothing despite fighting the truck around the track for 2 days now. Ill admit, Im not the best chassis setup guy, but I AM a good driver, and can generally adapt my driving style to make a truck fast, but I just cannot turn a fast lap with this thing to save my life!!

I think you answered your problem, its your tires getting too much traction on the carpet. Stock PE tires are softer compound then non PE so that could be it. Get some hard compound tires that will let you slip a little on the carpet so you can get around
Old 01-16-2010, 10:51 PM
02ram4by4

HI i was wondering if anybody has run a 3s life battery in there slash 4x4. My question is with the vxl speed control should i run with the low voltage cutoff on or off.
Dave
Old 01-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Ken448

you know, I was going to try the 2wd slash tires today, but I was so fed up thet I just wanted to leave after trying something different every time.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 AM
overrev

Having the right tire for the surface you run on always makes the biggest difference. Changing your setup to much will just get you more frustrated.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:47 AM
ludeman

Ken448,

I have 2 of those Hi-Tec hs-645mg servos and usually I like hi tec but i have had nothing but centering issues with both of them and had to yank them.

What was wrong with your stock one? Seems quick and torque enough.

Just saying you should check that as well.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Ken448

ludeman, Ive been running this servo forever (have 3 in 3 different cars). No issues with Hitec servos ever. The stock one woulf not center, acted as if the steering was binding, only nothing was stopping it from moving freely

I know tires play a big issue, perhaps Ill try my 2wd tires for a few laps, I know they work out there!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:46 AM
MCSRacing

hmmmm carpet ...... what about some foams, cut em to size .. would your rules allow it??
Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Ken448

prolly if I had the time and desire. But I think the truck has seen its last bit of carpet. Itll have a go on the dirt, and if I cannot get what I want out of it on the dirt, then Ill move on.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:29 AM
MCSRacing

put the solid center in and a mini spool in the rear ... ya will solve the traction and ballooning, and the mini spool will definately help it turn under power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.