Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash 4WD. Getting one for sure!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Slash 4WD. Getting one for sure!

Man, you gotta watch the design video on traxxas.com. It is amazing. The chassis and the design looks so much better in the video and I believe it will look even better in real life too. It seems like it is easy to work on. Simply amazing!

That thing is ready for Mamba Monster power man! That is crazy!! It is also waterproof man.

Man, I gotta have one... Hope it is coming soon. Going to order one right when it comes out.

Traxxas is ahead of the game again!

This is totally a different platform, not even close to the 2WD Slash.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Mspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slash 4WD. Getting one for sure!

If you like alot of speed and power, I think Traxxas has really steped it up a notch or two on this one. Seeing the drivetrain issues with the E-revo brushless with a ton of brushless power, Traxxas has put some real thought into making something that will simply eliminate alot of weak points in a 4wd with todays brushless 6s power. On a two wheel drive brushless truck, typically you have a motor run through a slipper then a idler gear that meshes with the diff. then out the shafts to the wheels. The diffs often on these are not fully functional. Losi had some issues with their speed T diff gear and ball diff not holding up under 3s power and the diff gears in the traxxas two wheel drive would just rip to shreads if you took out the vxl and droped a monster mamba in.

If you take the center shaft off the slash 4x4 it esentially goes right into the sliper then one spider and a real diff then out the axles. Add the shaft and still you elimiate alot of extra rotating mass that the e revo brushless has to turn. Efficent and light enough over all to run one vxl 3500 motor on 4wheel drive is a job well done.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 PM
midntpumkin

if you look at the kyosho lazer its the same type of drive shaft design, i bet the kyosho one way bearing that goes on the front rear drive shaft will work on it eliminating the center diff rotating mass. i will stick with my buggy for now , this looks to rich for my blood .
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 PM
04DarkShadowGT

Im buying one for sure, I hope its $350 but even at $400 with brushless, 2.4ghz, battery, completely RTR it wouldnt be out of wack

Btw anyone wanna buy a ofna hyper St-e mini lol
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM
thzero

6s on a 1/10th scale truck this size? Come on... thats inane. 5s/6s is insane, even 4s, with my RC8T, something this size its overkill completely.

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

If you like alot of speed and power, I think Traxxas has really steped it up a notch or two on this one. Seeing the drivetrain issues with the E-revo brushless with a ton of brushless power, Traxxas has put some real thought into making something that will simply eliminate alot of weak points in a 4wd with todays brushless 6s power. On a two wheel drive brushless truck, typically you have a motor run through a slipper then a idler gear that meshes with the diff. then out the shafts to the wheels. The diffs often on these are not fully functional. Losi had some issues with their speed T diff gear and ball diff not holding up under 3s power and the diff gears in the traxxas two wheel drive would just rip to shreads if you took out the vxl and droped a monster mamba in.

If you take the center shaft off the slash 4x4 it esentially goes right into the sliper then one spider and a real diff then out the axles. Add the shaft and still you elimiate alot of extra rotating mass that the e revo brushless has to turn. Efficent and light enough over all to run one vxl 3500 motor on 4wheel drive is a job well done.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thzero

6s on a 1/10th scale truck this size? Come on... thats inane. 5s/6s is insane, even 4s, with my RC8T, something this size its overkill completely.

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

I think even 6s On a 1/8 is already overkilled. But everyone loves power.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Doxiedad
My Feedback: (4)

You can put me down on the list of people who wants one
Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 PM
chevy_jlewis

im ready for one as long as its under 500 and i hope it comes out before the new year
Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: chevy_jlewis

im ready for one as long as its under 500 and i hope it comes out before the new year
It will be under $400.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Doxiedad
My Feedback: (4)

Hopefully less then $399.99
Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Congzilla

I would definitely rather pay and extra $150 for an SC8. Or spend the $400 to get the HPI and Losi core trucks.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: Congzilla

I would definitely rather pay and extra $150 for an SC8. Or spend the $400 to get the HPI and Losi core trucks.
Had to happen, a traxxas hater had to come on just to piss everyone else off.

So an extra $150 for a SC8 kit 1/8 truck? vs a brushless w/ 2.4ghz radio RTR truck? hmm... yep, that's a fair comparison....

I have a 2wd slash and a losi desert truck.... prefer the slash in all ways.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:12 AM
48chebbie
My Feedback: (58)

looks like it will be a very nice class truck with brushless power and a well balanced chassis layout. should make a nice 1/10th scale class 8 heavy metal baja style racing fun.
now a comment to the guys wanting the biggest,most powerful brushless motor and 4s and 6s packs.....what exactly do you do with a truck like this or any for that matter,with that stupid amount of power and speed on tap? i mean,you can't actually drive it,oh sure you can burp the throttle,slam it into a turn at 50 mph,cry and whine because it breaks parts off like twigs,and still get your butt stomped on the track by someone with stock drivetrain,and you have spent upwards of a $1000 on a truck that is more usless than a mini-T. well,atleast you can drive it back and forth in front of you,and tell your buddies,"look how fast it is"hee hee, as you are slapping your chest and wiping the drool off your chin.
truck looks very capable out of the box. i will take mine minus all the ignorant overkill. i want to actually drive mine................
Old 10-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Congzilla

ORIGINAL: Druss

Had to happen, a traxxas hater had to come on just to piss everyone else off.

So an extra $150 for a SC8 kit 1/8 truck? vs a brushless w/ 2.4ghz radio RTR truck? hmm... yep, that's a fair comparison....

I have a 2wd slash and a losi desert truck.... prefer the slash in all ways.
I am not a Traxxas hater, I have a Slash and a Rustler VXL, compared to my SC10 I do think they are just barely hobby grade due to poorly manufactured parts (lop sided spur gears) and poor design (gap in the tranny case letting dirt into the spur / pinion gear). And the extra $150 would be for the SC8 rtr not the kit.

[link]http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/83168/n/Team-Associated-SC8-Short-Course-Race-Truck-Pro-Comp[/link]
Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Access

One thing I absolutely have to question is why are they continuing the closed-wheel (body-over-wheel) setup and styling the way it is? I like most of what they are doing but having the wheels inside the body rather than outside... not to mention the 'humpish' body design... I'd rather have something that could handle more extreme terrain and driving than something that sacrifices these things suspension travel, etc. (in part) to look like a 'real' truck. It's just like the 'scale' question that comes up in aircraft circles sometimes, do you want something that flies in the absolute best way possible, or are you willing to sacrifice some flight characteristics to make it look like a model of a real-life equivelent? Given the choice I will personally always go with function over form, and it seems like this truck continues the 'slash' theme rather than trying to maximize the functionality.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Specialzed
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Access

One thing I absolutely have to question is why are they continuing the closed-wheel (body-over-wheel) setup and styling the way it is? I like most of what they are doing but having the wheels inside the body rather than outside... not to mention the 'humpish' body design... I'd rather have something that could handle more extreme terrain and driving than something that sacrifices these things suspension travel, etc. (in part) to look like a 'real' truck. It's just like the 'scale' question that comes up in aircraft circles sometimes, do you want something that flies in the absolute best way possible, or are you willing to sacrifice some flight characteristics to make it look like a model of a real-life equivelent? Given the choice I will personally always go with function over form, and it seems like this truck continues the 'slash' theme rather than trying to maximize the functionality.
Have you seen a 2wd slash run in real life? Im sure you'd stop complaining.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: Specialzed
I have, I've raced them. And bashed them, along with STs.

Handling, especially in-the-air handling, leaves a bit to be desired, a ST or even a buggy is controllable in the air but the slash feels kinda 'floaty', sometimes pitching up no matter what you do on the throttle. Upper suspension travel is somewhat restricted by the body, on the slash (run stock) the tires can actually rub against the body if pushed all the way up. If you set it up with standard ride height (A-arms parallel to the ground) the up-travel of the suspension is not very good b'cos the 'closed wheel' body restricts the movement. Any improvement in handling of the slash over something like the rustler is due not to the 'closed wheel' setup but more the lower-CG body and the narrower wheelbase.

I realise that short-course tracks are designed in a certain way, looser, flatter, not as many extreme jumps, corners that are designed to be powered out and such, but personally I'd like a truck that is designed to do more than just race short-courses.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Congzilla

ORIGINAL: Access

ORIGINAL: Specialzed
I have, I've raced them. And bashed them, along with STs.

Handling, especially in-the-air handling, leaves a bit to be desired, a ST or even a buggy is controllable in the air but the slash feels kinda 'floaty', sometimes pitching up no matter what you do on the throttle. Upper suspension travel is somewhat restricted by the body, on the slash (run stock) the tires can actually rub against the body if pushed all the way up. If you set it up with standard ride height (A-arms parallel to the ground) the up-travel of the suspension is not very good b'cos the 'closed wheel' body restricts the movement. Any improvement in handling of the slash over something like the rustler is due not to the 'closed wheel' setup but more the lower-CG body and the narrower wheelbase.

I realise that short-course tracks are designed in a certain way, looser, flatter, not as many extreme jumps, corners that are designed to be powered out and such, but personally I'd like a truck that is designed to do more than just race short-courses.
A ST is what you are describing in your previous post, SC's are they're own class and they are meant to look and act a certain way, so I am having trouble figuring out what the hell your complaining about, since there are lots of other vihicles on the market that do what you are talking about. As much as I don't like this model I can certainly see the market for it. And fyi the Slash has a MUCH higher cg than the Rustler.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:46 PM
ElectricGuy007

I have a slash now also, it handles very similar to my rustler I had ages ago, but then again it doesnt.
Sure it's fun to drive, but my 4wd buggys blow this thing away!
I managed to get 14 laps with a slash in a 5 min qualifier without crashing. I can get 2 more laps with my e-firestorm in 5 mins.
So yeah the better handling truck will get you more laps. My slash has its wheels balanced and everything with balancing putty.
Comparing a slash to a 2wd stadium truck is like comparing a grape to an orange, 2 totally different vechicles. They dont drive the same.
My E-firestorm was easier to drive than the slash was, because it's a stadium truck.

I'm just adding to what you said Access.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:56 PM
48chebbie

the slash (2wd and 4wd),sc10,etc. are designed to mimic the real CORR race trucks. their handling and bumper to bumper white knuckle racing characteristics. not an all-out X-games thrill show ride. i am sure if you ask nicely,traxxas,AE,losi or somebody will be glad to build alot of you folks a new truck. how about a plastic stick,with a coke-can sized brushless motor,on 20 lipo cells,with big tires,a foot of suspension travel,and sell it for $100 ready to run. that way it will run 100mph,jump 20 feet in the air and appese 99% of the boneheads who want the fastest,most uncontrollable truck out there to make up for a complete inability to drive.most folks STILL believe insane power and speed makes up for skill.lol.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:52 PM
thzero

That's a nitro, the SC8e only comes in a kit for 350-399, and you still gotta drop in 250 worth of MM or Tekin ESC/engine combo. And no radio for newer buyers either in that case.

And the extra $150 would be for the SC8 rtr not the kit.

[link]http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/83168/n/Team-Associated-SC8-Short-Course-Race-Truck-Pro-Comp[/link]
Old 10-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: 48chebbie
the slash (2wd and 4wd),sc10,etc. are designed to mimic the real CORR race trucks. their handling and bumper to bumper white knuckle racing characteristics. not an all-out X-games thrill show ride. i am sure if you ask nicely,traxxas,AE,losi or somebody will be glad to build alot of you
I guess this is my exact point, why make a rc truck that is designed to mimic a full-scale equivelent. Why not instead design it from the ground up to give the absolute best in terms of handling and performance. We're dealing with vehicles of a different size, we're dealing with different meteriels and different basic designs that are nothing like the real-life equivelent. People like me don't care if it's ugly, we will always choose function over form. I'm not talking about extreme speed as much as handling and performance. What we are basically looking at is a platform that has the wheelbase of a buggy, tires and toughness of a truck, and a higher CG. Maybe I'm alone here, at the end of the day it's an opinion / tradeoff thing so it's not really worth arguing too much over.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:14 PM
R/C Lightweight

ORIGINAL: 48chebbie

the slash (2wd and 4wd),sc10,etc. are designed to mimic the real CORR race trucks. their handling and bumper to bumper white knuckle racing characteristics. not an all-out X-games thrill show ride. i am sure if you ask nicely,traxxas,AE,losi or somebody will be glad to build alot of you folks a new truck. how about a plastic stick,with a coke-can sized brushless motor,on 20 lipo cells,with big tires,a foot of suspension travel,and sell it for $100 ready to run. that way it will run 100mph,jump 20 feet in the air and appese 99% of the boneheads who want the fastest,most uncontrollable truck out there to make up for a complete inability to drive.most folks STILL believe insane power and speed makes up for skill.lol.
LOL. Maybe they can make it shoot flames 50ft into the air while it pulls off a quadruple backflip too!!!!! If people would rather have extreme handling and performance, then look elsewhere. That's not what short course trucks are about. The very essence of SC trucks is scale handling characteristics with scale appearance. I strongly suggest anyone unfamiliar with short course race trucks to take some time to watch a TORC or LOORS race in the near future. You'll get a good idea of what the RC world is trying to mimic. IMO, the RC manufacturers are doing a great job capturing the looks and driving experience of the real deal.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

I already had my LHS put my name on their list for one. I'm not a fan of the SC trucks so everything SC is going on ebay along with the VXL. I envision a MMM powered 4wd Pede. I think the chassis design is fantastic and can't wait to try it out.

-JB
Old 10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
48chebbie

i know. the manufacturers have it dead wrong. since there is virtually no market for realistic,correct-looking scale r/c cars and trucks....(can you smell the sarcasim??) i just don't know what these people are thinking.lol
seriously,the main reason they built the slash and others like it is to give people a realistic race truck that is as close to the real thing as possible. also,none of them handle the greatest,none are the fastest thing out there. thats where,and try and stay with me here..........DRIVER SKILL comes in. if you can't drive one of these trucks,or having to learn some actual skills is too much trouble,than by all means look elsewhere.
i mean really,if you have a truck that has the utmost in ultimate handling.speed,etc. what fun is that to drive??? might as well be racing slot cars. seriously,these trucks require a pretty fair amount of driving.
i get so tickled at guys that show up at the track with these outlandishedly powered,and overkilled set-ups and can't figure out why they can't win a race. they think because they have the fastest truck on the track,they ought to win........wrong.lol. my advice,get a stadium truck,or buggy,etc. or whatever you like and go have fun with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.