Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

SPARROWHAWK XXT

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 03:13 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPARROWHAWK XXT

Anyone seen this yet?
Brushless version with a 2.4g radio
http://www.thundertiger.com.tw/product/6541-F.html
Click image for larger version

Name:	20098207611.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2238327

Name:	20099111074.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	2238328

Name:	20099111848.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2238329
Old 11-12-2009, 03:57 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SPARROWHAWK XXT

Looks awesome, hopefully we'll see some more information from Thunder Tiger soon.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:14 AM
srt10

I was thinking of getting the new 4x Slash but then saw this, hmmm?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Sh1mmy

It has been on tigers website for a while now...
The question is...
Where do you buy them from?
Old 11-12-2009, 01:52 PM
srt10

but not long enough for many to know its out there?
so basically its a new truck comming to the market soon, I don't think its out yet

I'm looking for a price, but have not seen it yet
Old 11-12-2009, 08:54 PM
bhcvc

TTR must be thinking that the market for cars like this and the Kyosho DBX Ve will be pretty good. I like it!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Sh1mmy

ORIGINAL: srt10

but not long enough for many to know its out there?
so basically its a new truck comming to the market soon, I don't think its out yet

I'm looking for a price, but have not seen it yet
I remember seeing it on their website atleast a month ago.

http://www.rabhobbies.com.au/html/rc_hobbies.htm
They have them for AU$450.
I would figure the u.s would have them for about $300 or so, whenever they sell them.

I havn't seen them anywhere else.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:24 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

looks nice, tho you'll want new rubber soon i had those tires and they do not last long under BL power... but other than that looks good wonder how it compairs to slash 4X4

the lug
Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

looks nice, tho you'll want new rubber soon i had those tires and they do not last long under BL power... but other than that looks good wonder how it compairs to slash 4X4

the lug
That's what I'm wondering is how is it to the new Slash?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like it's in a very different league than the Slash...
Old 11-13-2009, 12:34 AM
srt10

actually yes, a truggy vs corr
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM
thzero

It's a 1/10th scale vehicle. It's got a wheel base of 11.33", which is a shorter than the Slash's 13.2"; I can't imagine the Slash 4x4 has wheelbase shorter than the Slash's. The width of the TTR is 13.03", but those look to be 1/2" offset rims, so that's like 12.5" or so and compare that to the Slash's width of 11.65" which means its a bit wider potentially than the Slash. The biggest part is the wheelbase which is way too short to fit any of the 1/10th scale SCT bodies. The shortest is the SC10 at 12.9" wheelbase.

Looks like more of an electronic competitor to the Losi Ten-T; i.e. 11.875" wheel base and a width of 13.5".

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

the lug
That's what I'm wondering is how is it to the new Slash?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:54 AM
J.D.T

I agree, more of a stadium then a SC truck, looks to come with more hop ups stock than the slash does, cvds, metal chassis hardened diff gears, looks good. I have got TT stuff from a main in the past but this one ain't out there yet.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:58 AM
J.D.T

the SC bodies might not fit but this is about perfect wheelbase wise for T 4 bodies
Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 PM
srt10

This truck is not a CORR truck
and was not ment to race with them but it would be a fun race against the new Slash 4x
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 PM
J.D.T

it should be able to handle a slash with ease but won't be banging fenders like the slashes, I think this is what blew up the SC class, all these racers that haven't been able to beat and bang now actually can without anyone getting all tearing and saying things that get eyes blackened. Heres hoping for a open 4wd class in the future. One local track actually has a 10th 4 x 4 class but electrics have to take the fake pit and all that mess so we don't lap the nitros
Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 PM
bhcvc

This is a competitor for the kyosho DBX VE which is a true 1/10 truggy while the ttr is more a stadium truck (no center diff). Size and price is right in line with the dbx ve. I have a nitro dbx I converted to brushless and its a blast to drive. I hope these 1/10 truggy/st get more popular as itd be a great race class.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Dan H

For those interested int the XXT, be sure to check out the Sparrowhawk XT forum. Its a solid truck, but parts support could be better (I only order from one place)
Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM
srt10

yep, I've been watching that thread and getting parts could take a few days or so..?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:24 PM
RC ROD

I really like 1/8 scale truggies, recently building a a pro-kit nitro truggy with all the hop-ups. I'm thinking of adding electric to my collection, as the advancement of brushless motors & lipo batteries can now even excite us nitro guys. Also you can't beat the easy of use, maintenance & cleanliness of brushless/electric. The new HPI Vorza looks really high end & a whole lot of fun, except 2 batteries just to run it (almost need a dual lipo charger to charge 4 batteries for only 2 runs). This is the same with most 1/8 scale, including Caster Racing K8-T truggy, etc. The one thing enticing about 1/10 scale, is it only requires 1 battery to run. I never was a fan of the Traxxas Slash at all, but the new brushless Slash 4x4 caught my eye. I love that Traxxas brushless system is waterproof, but so much plastic. Also with the body over the tires, it would not be a great basher. It limits the tire size can use (can't put big mudders on for bashing) + tires being inside wheelwell would fill up inside of truck with mud or snow very easily. Maybe Traxxas will finally step up to the plate & make a 1/10 truggy that takes only 1 battery. I'm surprised there is so little available for brushless truggies, but I'm sure there will be a lot more choices in the next year or two. Hopefully by then, other manufacturers will have made their brushless systems waterproof, for ultimate bashing.

When I first saw the Sparrowhawk XT, I thought would be perfect if could get as a pro-kit with some hop-up parts already installed, then put in Traxxas waterproof Velineon system in it.
However, Thunder Tiger I believe has a worthwhile product to now consider with their new Sparrowhawk XXT. The brushless Ripper motor & ESC are made by ACE, who makes good products including the ACE DS1015 servo. I noticed with the XT, the turnbuckles (camber) are not adjustable, but they fixed that putting hardened adjustable turnbuckles on the XXT. I see Thunder Tiger now has much more detailed info on this new truck on their website. There are 7 pages showing hop-ups (lots of carbon fiber, aluminum & even titanium turnbuckles). The aluminum parts look 6061, not 7075 though. I would have liked to see Thunder Tiger offer a higher end shock & shafts for their hop-up parts, as the XXT already includes all the same parts except the aluminum shock body. Otherwards, you must buy all the same shock parts just to upgrade the shock body ? Also I did not see a battery strap expander in their hop-up parts, which would limit battery size can use (unless part #9229 does that ?). I'm interested to see the price, as the XT is only $199 at A MAIN hobbies (I'm guessing $299-$329)

Here's the link to Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XXT

http://www.thundertiger.com/product/6541-F.html

cheers,
RC ROD
Old 11-23-2009, 04:44 PM
srt10

That's the link from the top of this thread.....
I may have to just go get one of these truggies and do a full write up on it...
Not much info on this guy yet..
Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
RC ROD

Cool, I didn't realize the earlier link showed all the details.

Come on Traxxas, HPI, AE, Losi, where are your 1/10 brushless 4x4 basher truggies ? Due to the advancement of brushless & Lipo, I'm surprised none of the manufacturers have filled this void. Maybe Traxxas will put some longer a-arms, bigger tires & smaller body on the new slash 4x4 chassis. With their waterproof velineon system, it would then make a great basher.

The Sparrowhawk XXT does look like a good vehicle, but I would like to see Thunder Tiger at least put out a video.

cheers,
RC ROD
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM
srt10

They do have a nice vid of the XT but not yet the XXT?

I bet Losi is about to come out with a new line of Brushless racers!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Sh1mmy

ORIGINAL: RC ROD

Come on Traxxas, HPI, AE, Losi, where are your 1/10 brushless 4x4 basher truggies ? Due to the advancement of brushless & Lipo, I'm surprised none of the manufacturers have filled this void. Maybe Traxxas will put some longer a-arms, bigger tires & smaller body on the new slash 4x4 chassis. With their waterproof velineon system, it would then make a great basher.
The Sparrowhawk XXT does look like a good vehicle
[/quote]

Just to correct you there mate, the XT/XXT are not truggies, just 4wd stadium trucks, they only have a front and rear diff.

You could also do a blackslash like mod to the slash 4x4, althought I agree it would be good if traxxas did re-release it as a truggy or something.

Losi, might (or I should say, I hope) re-release the Ten-T as an electric, but I doubt it, Losi seems to be doing the exact opposite to what people actually want.
If they did do this, I hope they sell it as a roller/kit, the price with/for that radio is just ridiculous.

As for the rest, they all have the ability to make/release a 4wd stadium truck and from what I understand a lot of people have been asking for it for years and still havn't really gotten it.

The Sparrowhawk XXT sure does look good, if only it had a bit more support.

I bet Losi is about to come out with a new line of Brushless racers!
That would be nice, but I think Losi is dropping the ball a lot lately.
And using different screws/bolts (metric and imperial) is starting to really annoy me too.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:08 PM
srt10

that's the big thing is support?
not sure how long it takes to get parts when they break for this truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.