Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

my b4 feels too fast

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:28 AM
BigTb17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my b4 feels too fast

I don't know where people are getting the idea he is using 3S, in the first post he said he is using a 35C 2S Li-Po.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:18 AM
derek2005

Ace,

You sound very new to the hobby! Congratulations and welcome to the club. Read your owners manual fully and it should explain things like the slipper adjustment and diff maintenance as well as other very important things. Then do a lot of research on line. Check out the T4/B4 forum and check out RCTech forums as well. Lots of great information on these forums. I think you will find that 13.5 just about right for your buggy. It will be fast enough to be fun (and get into trouble) yet controllable with practice. If you really want to see that B4 shine, try taking it to a proper 1/10 scale track. Even if you don't race, it is sooooo much fun to run around on a purpose built track. 1/8 scale tracks won't be as much fun as you will spend a lot of time turning your car over, but even that can be a blast. I hope you end up like the rest of us-ADDICTED! Great stuff!!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: ace9213

Okay right now im running a 30 tooth pinion and a 81 tooth spur. So if I lower the spur it will give less acceleration but more top speed?
If you want less topend and less acceleration, install a higher pinion gear and decrease EPA until you are happy with the top speed and acceleration. You could use the stock pinion and use Expo to reduce sensetivity near neutral position.

It is laughable that people are saying 'get used to it' on something he can't control.

Whats laughable about that... It obvious he is a rookie and looking for advice.. He doesn't understand pinion and spur gear relationships and I doubt he knows much about brushless motors let alone programming speed controllers.. No offence to you Chris because you seem to think you are the resident expert here, but he HAS to learn to control it.. driving in the house isn't the way... He hasn't had it outside yet, but everyone wants to jump all over ways of slowing down the truck.. That Novak system is a good one, but a 13.5 turn motor isn't exactly a rocket... He will get used to it once its taken outside an run a while...
Old 12-25-2009, 03:07 PM
ace9213

I'm not new to RC, but I'm new to electric. I have a spektrum 2.0 radio system. I did nitro for about 1 1/2 years before this. I was just confused on the pinion gear because someone said something along the lines that a smaller pinion gives slower acceleration and that threw me for a loop. I will go outside today and test out the car. Seems very fast on carpet but lets see how it is on pavement and such. I guess I was just suprised at the amount of power it had compared to my nitro. The power is imediate on this thing. I also am running a 2S lipo, not 3S. I just need to learn to control it. I should be fine. I've been to the 1/8 scale track with my 1/8 buggy lots so I should pick this up fairly quickly. Again, thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:06 PM
monsterbombs

the other thing is the nitro's that your used to, take time
to get the power. brushless with lipo will get nearly 100% of
its power at any rpm. you nail it, it goes. welcome to the world
of brushless lipo.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:13 PM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not new to RC, but I'm new to electric. I have a spektrum 2.0 radio system. I did nitro for about 1 1/2 years before this. I was just confused on the pinion gear because someone said something along the lines that a smaller pinion gives slower acceleration and that threw me for a loop. I will go outside today and test out the car. Seems very fast on carpet but lets see how it is on pavement and such. I guess I was just suprised at the amount of power it had compared to my nitro. The power is imediate on this thing. I also am running a 2S lipo, not 3S. I just need to learn to control it. I should be fine. I've been to the 1/8 scale track with my 1/8 buggy lots so I should pick this up fairly quickly. Again, thanks for all the replies.
Ace9213.. You have a good setup and you will be fine.. first time I tried brushless, I had the same reaction.. just didn't try it inside.. LOL

I understand your confusion about the spur/pinions especially if someone said it backwards.. gets even more confusing.. Once you get outside, you will be all set... Don't mess with the pinions and esc settings until you have run the truck for a while..
Old 12-25-2009, 07:25 PM
cumquat

once you are on dirt it will seem slightly more tame do to the fact that the tires will most likely spin for 2 seconds before really picking up speed.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Chris_RC

ORIGINAL: cenracer1

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

Okay right now im running a 30 tooth pinion and a 81 tooth spur. So if I lower the spur it will give less acceleration but more top speed?
If you want less topend and less acceleration, install a higher pinion gear and decrease EPA until you are happy with the top speed and acceleration. You could use the stock pinion and use Expo to reduce sensetivity near neutral position.

It is laughable that people are saying 'get used to it' on something he can't control.

Whats laughable about that... It obvious he is a rookie and looking for advice.. He doesn't understand pinion and spur gear relationships and I doubt he knows much about brushless motors let alone programming speed controllers.. No offence to you Chris because you seem to think you are the resident expert here, but he HAS to learn to control it.. driving in the house isn't the way... He hasn't had it outside yet, but everyone wants to jump all over ways of slowing down the truck.. That Novak system is a good one, but a 13.5 turn motor isn't exactly a rocket... He will get used to it once its taken outside an run a while...
Guess I missed the part where he said he hasn't ran it outside yet.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:04 PM
derek2005

You will be fine! Merry Christmas!!