RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/10810730-evader-coalition-%7E-t-e-c-part-2-a.html)

DieHarder 10-22-2013 04:38 PM

Any new ramps/jumps added to the track lately? I'm wondering, as my track has been destroyed and is now weeds and country lawn. You never would have known it was there.... :confused:

EXT2Rob 10-23-2013 09:14 AM

No, we haven't added anything to the track. In fact, now that we've been running the course we've been running lately, we don't even hit any jumps. I kinda miss that. I'd be most interested to know how people go about building outdoor tracks. How they keep them from melting away in the rain, and how they build good jumps. I'm gonna guess it takes a lot of back-breaking work, or a small tractor or Bobcat.

NoTraxxisRustler 10-23-2013 06:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok Guys - So this is what a Non Traxxas Rustler looks like. Nothing fancy. The worn out tires are what I put on for blasting up and down the road . . . and that's where the pine tags came from . . . .

I use the ProLine Calibers and Proline Edge (ribbed) tires off road. Ribbed tires are the bomb. . . . RPM Claw wheels . . but I am a little disappointed in their strength . . . Proline Revlovers are very strong. . . . have not ruled out Traxxas hub conversion . . . .

The bumpers are T-Bone Racing.

I had the nice Duratrax shocks for a while, but when I could not find rebuild parts for them, I said to heck with it and got the Proline Slash shocks.

You may be wondering where I got the aluminum esc tray. I made it. Had a terrible time keeping the ESC stuck to the plastic one . . . . . . then it occurred to me . . . the plastic esc tray is wimpy . . . . and the tape won't stick to it because it flexes too much . . . . . .

Duratrax optional motorplate . . . . stiffer and adds a little "bling: . . . . .

This was the Vader that had the ASC RC10 gearbox on for a while . . . . when back to the DTX metal gears . . . . .

Hobbywing 60A ESC, TACON 32KV motor / Flysky radio

Battery - Turnigy 5.8 50c

I was ready to give up on this one, wanted a 1/8th, and I still may get a 1/8th but this thing is really fun to drive.

Not a looker, but it is a runner . . . . http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1932381http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1932382http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1932383http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1932384

EXT2Rob 10-24-2013 06:35 PM

I'm salivating over this http://www.nitrohouse.com/Hyper-10TT...it_p_5060.html

Any reason anyone can think of why I shouldn't pull the trigger on this? Just the scale I was looking for (about Evader-size) but with 4wd. Really getting the itch for 4wd.

NoTraxxisRustler 10-25-2013 02:41 AM

Wow that thing looks bad-***** . . . I googled and there were some gripes about parts availability . . . but nitrohous and HopMeUp carries parts . . i

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 11646123)

Any reason anyone can think of why I shouldn't pull the trigger on this? Just the scale I was looking for (about Evader-size) but with 4wd. Really getting the itch for 4wd.

egbasher 10-25-2013 10:37 AM

Looks like a great car for the money.

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 11646123)

egbasher 10-25-2013 10:42 AM

No new ones. But as we run the little dips and rises are becoming valleys and hills. It's amazing how much erosion these little cars can produce. As Rob said a little work with a Bobcat would be nice for construction but how long would it last before you have to go out and do it again?

Originally Posted by DieHarder (Post 11644601)
Any new ramps/jumps added to the track lately? I'm wondering, as my track has been destroyed and is now weeds and country lawn. You never would have known it was there.... :confused:

NoTraxxisRustler 10-25-2013 07:10 PM

That DTX 835e looks pretty compelling. There are a number of great reviews on the net too . . .

DieHarder 10-30-2013 08:11 AM

Hey guys. How's it goin'? I've got a Science test coming up here after lunch. I gotta study. Sorry I haven't been on here that much lately. I'll post some here after school... :)

EXT2Rob 11-01-2013 06:40 AM

Yeah, I was really leaning toward the DTX buggy, but ECHTHELION called that Hyper TT to my attention. Same size (actually slightly smaller) than the Evader, so it can run on 2S as opposed to the 835e that pretty much requires you run double-packs. All aluminum construction. Nice shocks. Gear diffs. At $189 ($350 retail!!) for a roller, it was the perfect choice. Can;t wait to get this thing on the ground. Already stripped out the running gear from the wife's Evader and mounted it in the TT. May have to do a little re-arranging. When I tried to put the body on, I had some interference from the motor wires. Space is tight in there. The top plate where you are supposed to mount the ESC is a little close to the lid. so I mounted the ESC where the receiver is supposed to be and vice-versa. The only thing that kept me from running it last night was the servo horn! The off-set DTX horn I had on the servo hit the body, so that had to come off. I went to put the straight one on that came with the car, but of course it would not fit the Hi-Tec servo. So I'll have to go to the LHS to pick up a servo horn.....and some paint.

NoTraxxisRustler 11-01-2013 07:35 PM

Hyper TT does look compelling too. I'm interested to hear about your experiences with it.

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 11652017)
Yeah, I was really leaning toward the DTX buggy, but ECHTHELION called that Hyper TT to my attention. Same size (actually slightly smaller) than the Evader, so it can run on 2S as opposed to the 835e that pretty much requires you run double-packs. All aluminum construction. Nice shocks. Gear diffs. At $189 ($350 retail!!) for a roller, it was the perfect choice. Can;t wait to get this thing on the ground. Already stripped out the running gear from the wife's Evader and mounted it in the TT. May have to do a little re-arranging. When I tried to put the body on, I had some interference from the motor wires. Space is tight in there. The top plate where you are supposed to mount the ESC is a little close to the lid. so I mounted the ESC where the receiver is supposed to be and vice-versa. The only thing that kept me from running it last night was the servo horn! The off-set DTX horn I had on the servo hit the body, so that had to come off. I went to put the straight one on that came with the car, but of course it would not fit the Hi-Tec servo. So I'll have to go to the LHS to pick up a servo horn.....and some paint.

DieHarder 11-01-2013 08:55 PM

Ofna FTW!!

cumquat 11-01-2013 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by DieHarder (Post 11652571)
Ofna FTW!!

not anymore.

EXT2Rob 11-02-2013 01:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yeah apparently OFNA sold the disti rights for HoBao to HPI, but HPI has been having their own problems and never did anything with it, so the rights reverted back to OFNA. (Reportedly, Hobbico bought HPI and is figuring out what to do with it.) So OFNA will be the distributor of HoBao and HongNor. (The two manufacturers who make cars sold as OFNA here.) The Hyper TT apparently isn't going to be one of the models that OFNA will import anymore. But the Hyper SC is apparently more popular and will continue. and the SC & TT share most of their parts, as well as OFNA will still be able to get parts for the TT. I'm not worried. Yet.

Here's pics of my new baby.......:cool:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1936075http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1936076http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1936077

Don't give me too much crap for the funky wiring. It's secure, and space is tight under that low-slung lid. And, it's a work in progress.

NoTraxxisRustler 11-02-2013 02:53 PM

Hey Rob,

Sorry about all the Q's, but I'm interested in that platform . . . . and thanks for posting pics. That looks real nice.

So I see you have the Hobbywing 35A ESC. What is the rating on the motor?? Does 4WD suck up much power? I've got the 60A Hobbywing and the 3200KV TACON . . . wondering what your results are . . .

Also, my bash sessions with my kid involve a Slash (his) is that thing MUCH smaller than the Evader??

That looks like a real nice way to get into 4WD without spending too much money . . .

Thanks

joshsz 11-02-2013 09:15 PM

maybe this will help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d694BHNqCA0

EXT2Rob 11-02-2013 09:19 PM

Hey NTR, no problem at all. Yeah that HW 60A system with the 3200kv Tacon would work, but you'd prolly wanna run 3S. The TT isn't that much smaller than the Evader but it is smaller. Wheelbase is a half inch to 3/4 inch less. Weight about the same. With the HW 4300kv in the Evader, full WOT is not possible without something bad happening shortly after, unless I've got a long straight piece of good road. Off-road, forget it. In the TT, the same setup allows WOT, even off road, without too much trouble. However I may be able to gear the TT up a bit, as the motor temp seems quite conservative, as is. So, is going from 2wd to 4wd = slower? Hard to tell without calculating gear ratios and roll-outs. I think you'd be really happy with your setup on 3S lipo. And this sucker is far from slow on the 35A 4300kv. Should be interesting to see if I can beat EGBasher around the track with his Evader 4300kv. I'm thinking of installing a left-over Castle 4-pole 5700kv for some real speed. I'll need a fatter ESC tho. I think that Castle motor will pull more than 35 Amps and I don't wanna fry the system. So far I'm loving the Hyper TT. Haven't broken anything. 4wd is as cool as I thought. :cool:

NoTraxxisRustler 11-03-2013 02:16 AM

Rob,

Sounds like you gonna be changing your name (Hyper10TTRob??)

I'll bet 4WD is pretty good. I'm sure there is much less front end push.

I find ESC / motor ratings interesting. When I went looking for brushless, I settled on the TACON 3200KV motor with the HW60A ESC, because the ESC was rated to provide 60A continuous, with something like 360A Burst. The motor has a maximum efficiency rating of 59A and the stated wattage on the motor as 900W. If you do the math, this works out to 121A. So I guess that 900W ([email protected]) is the MOST this motor would ever pull . . . . . probably at a complete stall . . . .

If the ESC is rated at 60A continuous, then at 7.4V, it's going to provide around 430W. So with a max efficiency of 59A on the motor, a 60A ESC would cover it. The burst would cover fast takeoffs etc. Sounded reasonable. In practice however, the motor runs great, and the ESC is never more than a little bit lukewarm.

I got a HW35A ESC for my kid, with the same motor. His evader ran as well as mine. And HIS ESC never got more than a little lukewarm.

He (and I) got tired of breaking his evader (he really is a wrecking ball), so i found a Slash roller, and dropped his running gear in it. I was concerned that the size of the Slash would put the ESC in the smokey area, but guess what??? The motor ran fine and the ESC was never more than a little lukewarm!!

Stated no load current on motor is 2.1A, so I guess the current draw during a typical bash session is somewhere between is 2.1A and 59A . . . . .

The 3200KV motor is great in the dirt, but in the Hobbytown racing sessions we go to sometimes, it seems like we are in LIPO shutdown. I Had thought about higher KV motor . Could probably accomplish much the same with 3S . . .. .

All that being said, I'm really on the fence with 1/8 vs 1/10 scale. I'd like 4WD. Some joker bought a Vorza to the Hobbytown session and I've wanted a 1/8 scale ever since. The nice part about your setup is that your running gear dropped in. With a 1/8 scale, the motor / ESC different, so I'll either get an RTR or a kit AND buy 1/8 motor and ESC.

Decisions Decisions.

I guess the moral to the story is "Stay away from Hobbytown bash sessions"!!

NTR

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 11653206)
Hey NTR, no problem at all. Yeah that HW 60A system with the 3200kv Tacon would work, but you'd prolly wanna run 3S. The TT isn't that much smaller than the Evader but it is smaller. Wheelbase is a half inch to 3/4 inch less. Weight about the same. With the HW 4300kv in the Evader, full WOT is not possible without something bad happening shortly after, unless I've got a long straight piece of good road. Off-road, forget it. In the TT, the same setup allows WOT, even off road, without too much trouble. However I may be able to gear the TT up a bit, as the motor temp seems quite conservative, as is. So, is going from 2wd to 4wd = slower? Hard to tell without calculating gear ratios and roll-outs. I think you'd be really happy with your setup on 3S lipo. And this sucker is far from slow on the 35A 4300kv. Should be interesting to see if I can beat EGBasher around the track with his Evader 4300kv. I'm thinking of installing a left-over Castle 4-pole 5700kv for some real speed. I'll need a fatter ESC tho. I think that Castle motor will pull more than 35 Amps and I don't wanna fry the system. So far I'm loving the Hyper TT. Haven't broken anything. 4wd is as cool as I thought. :cool:

egbasher 11-03-2013 09:20 AM

Looks cool Rob. No worries about the wires. Hey, you can always cut 'em and reduce the weight.:) Nice fade on the paint job. From the video that joshsz posted it seems like that TT accelerates really quickly. Can't wait to see how my 4300 Evader fairs against it.

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 11653206)

EXT2Rob 11-03-2013 09:37 AM

Yeah mate, it does accelerate pretty quick with all four wheels grabbing. I like the handling. I need to go look at the manual to see how to remove the shocks (no really!) so I can change the fluid. It's got a different way of attaching to the shock mount than I've seen and I don't want to do something wrong. New stuff, ya know.

egbasher 11-03-2013 09:40 AM

Hopefully you're changing to a heavier weight fluid. i hate to think the shocks leak fluid that fast.

EXT2Rob 11-03-2013 10:21 AM

Oh, yeah. Just changing fluid to 35wt. No signs of leaks in the shocks.

cumquat 11-03-2013 05:56 PM

4wd is fun. in my experience the added drivetrain drag and traction takes power that is overkill in 2wd and puts it to use. i was still pulling wheelies but they wherent as aggressive. speed is a matter of gears and tires, so thats easy to change.

NoTraxxisRustler 11-03-2013 07:54 PM

Anybody had experience with the DXR8-E??

NoTraxxisRustler 11-04-2013 05:35 AM

Actually what you said was pretty well stated. If you are racing and blowing direction changes because you are wheelying, somebody is going to pass you. I've seen clips on YouTube where people are putting 5700KV motors on stadium trucks, and they are wheelying from a roll on at 50 MPH. And I'm thinking "Well that is great, but I'm not seeing anything I would want to race". I figure 32 - 35 KV is about all one really needs on a 2WD truck . . . .

Originally Posted by cumquat (Post 11653841)
4wd is fun. in my experience the added drivetrain drag and traction takes power that is overkill in 2wd and puts it to use. i was still pulling wheelies but they wherent as aggressive. speed is a matter of gears and tires, so thats easy to change.