RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7367370-official-traxxas-slash-short-course-race-truck.html)

86waterpumper 01-27-2009 10:50 AM

RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

Fairtax, how does the speed gems 17t compare in power and speed to the stock titan? How did you gear it?

evolrider 01-27-2009 08:57 PM

I just purchased a Slash today and had a question. I have a Spektrum DX3R with the SR3100 reciever. Can I use this setup with the Slash?

I called amainhobbies and they said technically it will work but there have been issues with glitching. Can anybody elaborate more on this?

FairTax4me 01-27-2009 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: 86waterpumper

Fairtax, how does the speed gems 17t compare in power and speed to the stock titan? How did you gear it?

Gobbs of torque down low. On the speed end its about the same until you toss a 7 cell pack in it then the 17T takes over. I'm geared 16/86 and it does run a bit warm after 20 minutes or so, but I run hard through whatever I can throw at this thing so I figures its probably about right. I may have to drop another tooth or two when it gets warmer out.

I just purchased a Slash today and had a question. I have a Spektrum DX3R with the SR3100 reciever. Can I use this setup with the Slash?

I called amainhobbies and they said technically it will work but there have been issues with glitching. Can anybody elaborate more on this?
I don't see why not. The "glitching" that most people probably experience is due to their batteries not being able to hold up to the current demand of the stock motor. That combined with the wrong gearing means they drain the battery so much that the receiver power drops to the point where it just can't operate anymore.

justinart24 01-28-2009 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had the Traxxas Velineon combo in my slash. I didn't like the ESC to much, it was a on/off switch per the power(But did the job). I currently have the Mamba Monster ESC(its a little much, I know..lol) and the Velineon brushless motor in there now and it does well. I doesn't spin out as much, due to the ESC being tunable.

boomchank7 01-28-2009 04:49 PM

This is for the guys running VXL on 11.1v. I have this setup and so far am using the 18/86 gears. I only have 4 runs on it like this and am waiting for some decent weather to take it back out. Is this too low geared for this much power? I've noticed that most with VXL run higher gear ratios. Is this because of all that wheel spin? The reason I want to know is because I want to get good low temps yet still be controllable. The way it is now, the truck won't stay hooked up at all unless I'm backed way off of the throttle during acceleration. It just sort of "sways" from side to side (slightly) and balloons the left-right tires one at a time while screaming away. I realize that the temps outside when I ran (5-10 degrees) were causing the tire compound to be stiff and less pliable which will get better with warmer temps. Back to my original question though. Would a little higher gearing actually benefit me in any way? (I don't need more top speed) Thanks.

fusebmx13 01-28-2009 05:22 PM

I would gear it stock for the stampede which i think is 19/86. But i personally gear mine 23/86. I want the most performance though so what i do is run a pack and see the temps then if it is cool enough, gear up and if it is to hot, gear down. Once you find the "sweet spot" you have a beast of a truck.

boomchank7 01-28-2009 10:35 PM

You're not kidding. For those first four runs, I really put it through the paces, broke a body mount and castor block and my rear tires are at about 30-40%. This could get expensive. That's also why I'm waiting until it gets alittle warmer. With outside temperatures that low, any cartwheels or flips at 45 mph or so WILL break some plastic. Very fun truck though. It's so difficult to see it just sit there on my desk. I already wish I had another one in stock form to throw up some rooster tails out there in this snow. Maybe some anacondas would be better for on-road use? I can't buy a new set of tires every 4 cycles when I'm not off-road.

fusebmx13 01-28-2009 11:24 PM

I just bought a set of proline flat irons for my slash. Anacondas are nice also, but they are for on road use pretty much. My brother has 2 sets of them on his rustlers and they work great. I am trying to find a pic of the slash that i am making mine look like.

fusebmx13 01-28-2009 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
found it :D

Lilredmachine 01-29-2009 12:32 PM

Yes, that is the setup I run, it works great with both brushed and brushless.

I don't see why not. The "glitching" that most people probably experience is due to their batteries not being able to hold up to the current demand of the stock motor. That combined with the wrong gearing means they drain the battery so much that the receiver power drops to the point where it just can't operate anymore.
Seems wierd that people would drop $200+ on a radio system then skimp so badly on the battery that the radio won't even work under load.

This is for the guys running VXL on 11.1v. I have this setup and so far am using the 18/86 gears. I only have 4 runs on it like this and am waiting for some decent weather to take it back out. Is this too low geared for this much power?
Yes, it is geared too low. It is pointless gearing a Slash VXL that low on 3s, you will get better top speed AND acceleration by going to something like 23/86. I run mine on 25/86 without heat issues.

fusebmx13 01-29-2009 01:52 PM

Yea 23/86 is a real nice gearing for vxl and 3s. that is what mine is. I run 23/83 with my stampede which is a little higher.

Lilredmachine 01-29-2009 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My slash is a tad different though. Give me a week and it'll be finished, no touring car will be safe. I can afford to run 25/86 as mine is now purely on road. I may bump it up as far as 27 and see how it goes.

boomchank7 01-29-2009 08:03 PM

I'm going to try 20/86 first since I have a 20T and maybe step up to the 23T later. For now, I'm just going to replace the stock rear tires and loosen the slipper a touch. Also, I added a small spacer to the springs Front and Rear. I can't wait to get this thing set up right so I can start making it look nice like some of the ones on here. Which is the best Proline body?

FairTax4me 01-29-2009 10:02 PM

That looks friggin BEAST!! :D I gotta do that on mine now.

fusebmx13 01-29-2009 10:09 PM

Don't thank me, its not mine lol. But mine will look like that in a week or 2 :D

FairTax4me 01-29-2009 11:00 PM

Flat Irons and chrome 8 Shooter bead locks for my Slash are ON THE WAY!!! :D Of course I'm too cheap to pay for faster shipping so it will be middle to late next week before they get here.

Lilredmachine 01-31-2009 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
lol, nice.

I'm pretty much done. Need to drop the shell though.

muddyninja1 01-31-2009 11:43 PM

hey guys i'm a new, proud owner of the new traxxas slash, and new to this thread. i was wandering if you guys could suggest some different shock oil setups? i don't want to get rid of the body lean in the corners so much, but would like to keep the tires planted. any help would be great. thanks in advance.

FairTax4me 01-31-2009 11:57 PM

I have 30wt in mine and its only slightly thicker than stock. The best thing to do is move the shocks to the furthest out mounting holes on the A arms, then play around with the oil weight until you get what you want.

overrev 02-01-2009 01:06 AM

All the guy at the track I go to use 60wt shock oil in the slash.

muddyninja1 02-01-2009 01:21 AM

thanks. i really like the corr series racing and the slash handles like the real ones. i don't want to move to the outter shock position because that kind of stops the body lean in the corners. i want to keep the lean as much as possible. 60 wt oil is pretty thick isn't it? they come with 30 wt stock. i think i'll try 60 wt as soon as some snow melts away and see how that does, and go from there. these slashes are great trucks and the only complaints that i could think of is, should have come with real bead lock wheels, and why wasn't this truck out years ago! haha. thanks again for the input i appreciate it.

myst38 02-01-2009 06:25 AM

Bnangle,
I am using the futaba 2.4 in my slash with great success. When setting up your radio, make sure you set the throttle EPA at 120% for forward and reverse. This solved my problem with power delivery. After that reprogram your ESC and you should be good to go!!!!

munro300 02-01-2009 10:58 AM

I thought I read on traxxas forums that the stock shock oil is 35 wt, anyways 60 is pretty heavy for these little trucks. I would try 40 or 45 first.

mercerbeef 02-01-2009 11:09 AM

damn lilred, that slash looks all mad maxed, you should check for a set of 1/10 buggy street tires for the fronts, they'r a little narrower than the 2.2's, so they'd tuck under the fender

86waterpumper 02-01-2009 11:35 AM

Yeah that road warrior slash is pimp looking. Need some kind of gun mounted to it :D