RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/7367370-official-traxxas-slash-short-course-race-truck.html)

overrev 02-01-2009 12:02 PM

RE: The Official Traxxas Slash short-course race truck

1 Attachment(s)
I use 70 wt. shock oil in my slash.

munro300 02-01-2009 12:08 PM

Really! Thats pretty heavy, how do ya like the aluminum gear box? is it a FLM or Golden horizions ?

Lilredmachine 02-01-2009 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aye, they're epic slash rims, so at full compression they do actually tuck under the arches. It just doesn't look it. I do have to run some pretty big camber to do it though, and that's costing me tires as you can see (those are on their 3rd run[X(])! I dropped the mounts for the shell today, finally got the look I want. Went out and beat it a bit, picked up a few scratches in the process :D I've ordered spurs from 76t through 86 and pinions 26-30 to experiment with gearing, as well as some new rear tires. ;) I'm thinking of going HV in this, 6S through a Medusa 60 2200kv motor geared to the moon and MMM would be pretty interesting.

overrev 02-01-2009 12:49 PM

The shock towers and trans are flm. I also have losi blue springs on it now in the rear. For loose dirt I run proline switch's in the rear at the indoor track I run losi pinks. The flm parts are great the extra weight of the trans helps get the power of the medusa to the ground.

overrev 02-01-2009 01:01 PM

6s in a slash is more than over kill. The medusa 36-50 4800 on 3s is more than enough and it would still run cool, gear for 65 mine never got over 115 but the truck would just blow over not that fun imo.

fusebmx13 02-01-2009 01:06 PM

I agree, 6s is way to much. It is a lot in an e maxx. Even my slash with the 3s and vxl motor does fine for speed runs. If you gradually get on it, then it will get up to full. But it usually blows like a kite and flips on the lid. I will get some pics of my slash sometime, i am getting some flat iron tires for it and some traxxas aluminum casters and rear bearing carriers. Going to get a black proline desert rat also.

Lilredmachine 02-01-2009 01:06 PM

Mine doesn't blow over. It's presently running 25/86 which was enough to put the stock truck over on it's back quicker than you can say 'oh, would you look at that. It's fallen over again'. I guess that's quite a long time actually.

Point is this stays stuck to the deck, that long front and low stance keeps the air out, the slash should be better than a Rustler for speed runs, the length makes it more stable. It's just the stock shell pulls air under the truck. I've got a spare MMM around and two 3s packs, is all. I need another medusa as well.

overrev 02-01-2009 01:18 PM

I like the slash for offroad if I were to build something for on road it would be a 1/10 pan car. Your truck looks good,keep us posted of the speed you get out of it.

Lilredmachine 02-01-2009 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Will do. There is no where really around here that is flat enough for a speed run vehicle, so I end up using off road vehicles for a compromise. I prepared my E-savage for it but ended up selling it before I ordered the two 5s lipos and HV controller.

Damo_MadTruck 02-03-2009 06:13 AM

lol, look what i found http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/I-Love-Slash-Badge-GNR-Velvet-Revolver-Guitar-Rock_W0QQitemZ150323920246QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mu sic_Music_Memorabilia_LE?hash=item150323920246&_tr ksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1| 240%3A1318 :)

donkeymaxx 02-03-2009 09:08 AM

I am new to this forum i bought my slash 5 days ago.

I was a nitro guy all the way until i got my slash. Now i am selling all my nitro stuff and racing electric. The slash spec class is the fairest class out there. (Although my 7cell 4800mA battery sucks people up on the straights)

Does anyone run heavy shock oil in the front (60-80) and light in the back (30-40)? I heard this is the best setup for the track

Tricksligger 02-03-2009 09:20 AM

Im gonna go pick up one of these this weekend. There is a slash class at the local track. Whats a good stock roar legal 19 or 27T motor. What is the difference in the number of turns?

fusebmx13 02-03-2009 10:24 AM

I don't know anything about what is legal or not, but i can answer your question on the turns. The lower the turn count the faster the motor is going to be, but it will not have as much torque. That is why most rock crawlers have like 55t motors, they have tons of torque and not a lot of speed. The number of turns is the number of winds that they put on the armature.

fusebmx13 02-03-2009 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my slash. My mamba max esc is acting funny now though so i am sending it back under warranty.

BTW, 60-800 wt oil is to heavy for these shocks. You will have to put in a piston with a larger hole number or you will pop caps constantly.

fatkidjoey 02-03-2009 10:52 AM

most tracks are runing them BOX STOCK , so the motor it comes with is what you run :) thats what we do at CRCRC

FairTax4me 02-03-2009 12:29 PM

I can't wait for my Flat Irons to get here now! Fuse did you bother to gear down any when you put those on? You're brushless so its probably not as big a deal for your setup as it will be for mine.

toddzhere2 02-03-2009 01:36 PM

Got a new Slash and getting it ready to race. I took the shocks apart to lube the orings as I do with all my racers. However, I noticed that the when the bottom shock caps are tighted, the origns drag. If I loosen the caps, no o-ring drag.

Normally I wouldn't worry but thee is a huge amount of dampening from just the r-rings, even without oil in the shocks. Is anyone else having this issue. Do you run the caps loose? Whats the fix?

fusebmx13 02-03-2009 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: FairTax4me

I can't wait for my Flat Irons to get here now! Fuse did you bother to gear down any when you put those on? You're brushless so its probably not as big a deal for your setup as it will be for mine.
I have not driven them yet. But I am gearing 23/86 and i am not going to re gear it. I am just going to drive it and see what it does. But I run the masher 2k's with my stampede and higher gearing with the vxl and no problems so this should be a very close gearing.
I can see a stock motor screwing up pretty easily with these tires though, they are pretty big.

Alpha Male 02-03-2009 03:15 PM

Does anyone run heavy shock oil in the front (60-80) and light in the back (30-40)? I heard this is the best setup for the track
I run 50 front and 45 rear. 60-80 sounds kind of thick. [:o]

I can't wait for my Flat Irons to get here now!
You are going to run crawler tires on a Slash? [sm=50_50.gif] It seems like the soft rubber and tall sidewalls would cause the tire to fold over in the turns.

Lilredmachine 02-03-2009 03:39 PM

I ran 60 all round. Gone to around 100 now for the onroad setup. Then again, I have alloy caps from STRC.

86waterpumper 02-03-2009 04:00 PM

Well the flat irons are available in a few diff configs. But for this application I definately wouldn't be running memory foam and m3 compound LOL. I doubt these guys are either? My main concern would be cutting them all up with the fenders, my stock tires get into mine quite regular, and I even have the body a hair higher since I"ve got some reinforcing pads around the body mount holes.

fusebmx13 02-03-2009 04:56 PM

I use the M2 compounds with the standard foams. The only problem i have with body rubbing is that the body is to low and it hits the tops of the fenders when i push it down. I don't think it will be that big of a problem with a little body adjusting. You can raise the rear mounts some and the fronts don't really rub for me. I don't really know though now because i don't have any rear body posts lol. I broke them off the other day driving.

EARRNHARDT3 02-03-2009 05:19 PM

Will Jato wheels fit the Slash?

86waterpumper 02-03-2009 05:26 PM

Let us know how you like the flat irons fuse. It helped out the ground clearance for sure! Probably help it when running in the leaves and grass etc. Are those rpm wheels?

fusebmx13 02-03-2009 05:41 PM

I think they will be great on grass. I just got the body to fit pretty nice, but i need to get some body mounts to really do it. Yes they are rpm rims. They are narrow revolvers.

Jato rear wheels will fit yes. Not the fronts though because they are bearings instead of hex's.