Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 05:33 PM
xzavin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

Stella cannot find the F103 anymore =(
Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 AM
lee172

i did say dont hang around, i remember the Volvo 1/14 was on 'low stock', then after i purchased it, it disapeared..
Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 AM
HeliYogi

Buy the aniversary edition $259.00 Now at:
http://www.gnirc.com/tamiya-f103r-15...056-p-522.html
Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Vyger

ORIGINAL: xzavin

Hey guys, getting car maybe heres my set up what ya think?

So far can't find a new F103RM, thanks alot vyger I know you bought all 13 that RC-Mart had because they all went away within 2 weeks when they hadn't sold for months! If anybody can find me please tell me?

Alright thanks!
I didn't buy all 13...only 12. I left one for you. LOL
Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Vyger

I had some free time over the long weekend and decided to wrap up the McLaren MP4/7. It came out ok, there are a few things I'd do different if I was to do it over again. But it's not too horrible.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:59 AM
hov-r-nut
My Feedback: (5)

Things you would have done different????? [X(] man I would be proud to have any of the cars you've posted, your cars are a work of art. I wish I had the time and more importantly the patience to build a beuty like that. Keep up the good work and keep those instructional posts comming. I am sure I am not the only newbee to appreciate and learn from them.

thanks

Tony V
Old 12-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Vyger

Thanks Tony. I appreciate that. For some reason I just had a hard time with this car. I don’t know if it was because I had too much turkey or if I was busy thinking about the next project. I just had a hard time focusing on this one. I’ll post up pics of the next one and maybe do another step by step. Thanks again!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 PM
xzavin

Guys, how long do foams last on pavement, and also how long to rubbers, I want the rounded grooved rubbers but they only make for F201 =( I hope I can get a car soon!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Vyger

Well that’s not an easy question. It depends on how big your track is, if you hit stuff and chunk tires (foams), what the surface is like (not all asphalt is the same)….etc. etc.

I think it’s safe to say that foams would last you about 15-20 runs or battery packs. I’m talking about kit rears and HBR fronts. That’s starting with brand new uncut foams and rotating regularly. The rubber tires will last you a bit longer.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:15 PM
xzavin

Ah, well about as long as a drift car rubbers? Thats all I got to go on lol.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:05 PM
drevil

ORIGINAL: xzavin

Stella cannot find the F103 anymore =(
Looks like they're sold out. RCmart has ONE left.
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-tam...y-p-27952.html

EDIT: As soon as I posted that it came up as out of stock. [:@]
Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 PM
drevil

Looks like Tower has a limited supply but you'll be paying a bit more there.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVPZ1&P=7

RCmarket has them listed but I'm not sure if they have any in stock.
http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=4981
Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 PM
houstonrevo

Vyger ,

Where did you get that McLaren Red? I am working on painting a F201 shell up with the MP4/5 scheme. Can you tell me where you get that paint. Also, did you paint the same color on the rear wing or is it sticker?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Vyger

ORIGINAL: houstonrevo

Vyger ,

Where did you get that McLaren Red? I am working on painting a F201 shell up with the MP4/5 scheme. Can you tell me where you get that paint. Also, did you paint the same color on the rear wing or is it sticker?

Thanks
Well, I get it from my local hobby shop or directly from Tamiya. I used Tamiya Poly sprays for the body, part numbers 86020 - PS20 Fluorescent Red, and 86001 - PS1 White. For the drivers suit I used Testors Flat Red number 1150 and Flat Black number 1749 for the cockpit. The yellow I used on the helmet is also Tamiya, it’s just their standard Yellow TS 16, part number 85016. The front wing is from a Tamiya McLaren MP4/6 that I got on Ebay and the rear is a Sauber C12 that has the sides cut down to the shape of a McLaren rear wing with Fluorescent Red vinyl adhesive over the top.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:35 PM
xzavin

My dad ordered one! should have around christmas! I got the one from RCMart, I saw it lol....thanks!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Vyger

Well I’ve had the opportunity to build one of these and I’d have to say I really like this kit. Please don’t ask where I got it, it’s a painful memory I don’t wish to relive, let’s just say I had to give some favors and leave it at that. Anyone looking to purchase one of these should keep in mind this car falls within their TRF category so no body or wings are included. If you’re thinking about buying one these you’ll need to buy these parts if you don’t already have them.

I think an important note to mention is this car does not use the standard battery mounting system. You’ll have to tape in your battery packs. I already do this, so that’s not a big deal to me. I really like these new parts and think they offer form and function. Strapping the battery in looks a little easier now that those plastic ends are out of the way. Plus those plastic battery cups/holders tend to drag on the ground or curbing, they can actually push you off line when cornering. I’ve got a few used sets I can show pictures of to prove it if anyone is interested.

So on with the kit…

The instructions are typical Tamiya, spot on and easy to follow. The car actually takes a little over an hour to build. I’d suggest following the instructions because there are some new ways of doing the old things. Tamiya also supplies tips for tuning and suggestions on things like oils, gear ratios, damper grease. It’s pretty straight forward, not allot of parts and only one shock to build. You don’t even have to glue or tape your tires, they’ve done it for you. Tamiya’s put some nice touches on few parts that make this kit a little more special than the normal F103RM with hop-ups. Most of you have probably seen the laser etched servo mounts and silk screened chassis and upper deck. Fit and finish of all the parts hold up to Tamiya’s usual high quality.

So what are the hits & misses, likes & dislikes, yin & yang of this kit…

• Solid Graphite rear axel shaft (much lighter than the steal kit axel and more durable than the hollow aftermarket options)
• Black Teflon Damper Disks (hopefully they wont warp like the older versions)
• Aluminum Diff Joints (way better than the stock plastic ones supplied in the kit
• Counter sunk Damper Plate (I like this better than the stock part because it stays centered and doesn’t tweak as easily as the kit part)
• Carbon Fiber Reinforced front A-arms (I think this will add more rigidity to the front end and allow the springs to do more work. Is it more fragile now…only time will tell)
• Aluminum Motor Mount (something I would buy to start off with)
• Pre-mounted tires (it looks like they’re glued and not taped, nice touch)
• Alan head screws through out the car and allowing screws from the top to secure the upper deck instead of those huge 35mm screws from the bottom and a nut.

Dislikes:
• Aluminum Steering Turnbuckles (these are great if you don’t hit anything, I think their titanium turnbuckles would have been better)
• No option to use aluminum posts (the same used to replace the battery bulk heads) to replace the aluminum servo mounts (I think this would have been a nice option for those that use smaller sized servos)
• The plastic parts for the shock and the plastic ball ends for the turnbuckles aren’t the Low Friction parts. I thought that was sort of cheesy not to include those.
• No smooth side wall on the tires (how am I supposed to get my Goodyear stickers to stick?)

All in all I think it’s a really nice kit and if I was thinking of getting started in F1 (new) then this might be the right way to go since it comes with so many hop-ups I’d buy at the front end of my purchase. But don’t forget to buy strapping tape to hold in your battery packs. If I had to rate it, I’d give it a 9/10.

I’ll post up some pics in a day or two when I get my camera back from my wife.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
xzavin

Very unhappy now, RCmart screwed my dad over, they are now telling us we never sent in an order for a car, only for tires, I got my car and some tires from them because everybody says they are great, but I hate them now, I'm out of a good car that I really wanted and 120 bucks, I really frikin hope that they send us a car they also say that it was "out of stock" when the order was placed but it clearly had 1 instock, also they have not replied to a single E-mail, we have sent 3 and recieved one telling us 3 days AFTER the order is placed, saying "your money has not been credited" or something along those lines, now I am out of a sick christmas gift and my dad is really annoyed.
Thanks so much RCmart!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:58 PM
The Hedgehog

How did you pay and where is the receipt or confirmation?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:57 PM
xzavin

Autox, payed with a credit card, the confirmation is an E-Mail that says 150 bucks for 1 set of front and back tires, also saying order for the car was not able to be completed due to some reason I don't have in front of e right now.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:43 PM
skottoman

Nice review Vyger. I assume you just built up an F130 15th anniversary kit. I don't have an F103, but if I were to get this kit (not that I need any MORE!), where would one get actual wings and bodies for it?
Cheers,
Skottoman
Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Vyger

ORIGINAL: skottoman

Nice review Vyger. I assume you just built up an F130 15th anniversary kit. I don't have an F103, but if I were to get this kit (not that I need any MORE!), where would one get actual wings and bodies for it?
Cheers,
Skottoman
Thanks man. I think it's a really nice kit. I'm hoping to post some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Regarding the body kit...I've heard Tamiya USA is going to sell the Type-M as an entire kit. I think they'll have them around the first of the year. Your other choice is purchasing a body kit off the net (eBay or something like it) but you'll pay a premium for a Tamiya F1 body set. Or...one more option...if your not running in the TCS series, you could order an after market body and wings from China or Japan. Unfortunately no one over here in the states imports TRG or Chevron. That's about the best I can do, hope it helps
Old 12-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Vyger

OK, I got the camera back from my wife and here are the pics of the new chassis.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:24 AM
skottoman

WOW! That thing is too nice to drive! You'll scratch the nice logo off the bottom! Haha....
Seriously, would love to get an F103, but I fear there just aren't enough bodies/wheels tires out there for it?
Tamiya released a new chassis, now where are all the body kits and wheels/tires?

I don't know much about the F103's, but I have CRAPLOAD of F201's.
Cheers,
Skottoman
Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[X(] but I have CRAPLOAD of F201's ...... skottoman,my new friend..... I need a pair of rear steering knuckles for my 201, can you hook me up????
Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 PM
skottoman

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

[X(] but I have CRAPLOAD of F201's ...... skottoman,my new friend..... I need a pair of rear steering knuckles for my 201, can you hook me up????
Sorry, but I stopped mailing parts around for free, and it's not worth the $10 to me to do.

BUT, you can still get them new from Tower.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCCE8&P=7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.