Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 AM
The Hybrid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/10 RC Formula 1 Cars...lets see'em

should be receiving my F103 in the mail tomorrow or the next day...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:46 AM
xzavin

well, unless your son has clear bodys, it would be different, you paint inside with most bodys, i assume the same for F1 , so you cant really see what you paing, but one more thing, what servos do you use with F1 cars, I can't find the right size it seems.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Biker1bob

Vyger, your tires look great.

How do you mount them to the rims? Do you use the tape?

Contact Cement?

Would love to know how you make them look so nice.

James
Old 10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Vyger

ORIGINAL: Biker1bob

Vyger, your tires look great.

How do you mount them to the rims? Do you use the tape?

Contact Cement?

Would love to know how you make them look so nice.

James
Hey James, I use the old school method of gluing them. It's messy, dirty, stinky, and a pain in the @$$ but the final result is well worth it. I think the tires adhere better to the wheel using the glue. I've noticed the tape tends to lift after a few applications of tire sauce, not cool.

If you're thinking of going this direction, do yourself a favor and find a 1/12 scale tire horn. I got mine years ago and wouldn't even know where to direct you to look. The tire horn is a cone shaped piece of plastic that stretches the tire out the diameter of the wheel. You dunk your wheel in lacquer thinner, then the tire. I put the wheel on a flat surface, outside facing down, then put the horn on it and slide the tire on. You have a minute or two before the glue sets to massage the tire into its final position. Then let the tire cure for a few and your ready to roll.

I hope this helps!
Old 10-23-2008, 03:59 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

recieved my E-bay special F201 yesterday,(86.00 shipped) this is how she looks out of the box....associated micro Rx,Tx, AI automatic bullet digital esc w/reverse,( matched ) cell 7.2 pack,stock black can motor that still has some life left, [:-] ,.....car is a little rough,but will post the face lift as soon as possible... [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21536.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1057529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88438.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1057530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67447.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1057531  
Old 10-23-2008, 04:00 PM
mopartybob

a coupla more....

Name:	Wu61529.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1057534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89484.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1057535  
Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 PM
MLP F1

What MLP F201SCF PRO & Pro II Cars looked like!

Be sure to check out our website and see what we are up to next ! our D-Drive ! we will even have our own version of the F103 but with a MLP Viper Pod and Chassis ! F103 wheels and tires and body to keep it looking real! the way Tamiya set out to have them! also working on the new mold for the 2009 F1 bodies! So remember MLP Motorsports Net ok ! www.mlpmotorsports.net
Old 10-23-2008, 06:17 PM
mopartybob

SWWwweeeeet..... , SSSssoooo whats the price???? (as pictured)....
Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Vyger

ORIGINAL: mopartybob

recieved my E-bay special F201 yesterday,(86.00 shipped) this is how she looks out of the box....associated micro Rx,Tx, AI automatic bullet digital esc w/reverse,( matched ) cell 7.2 pack,stock black can motor that still has some life left, [:-] ,.....car is a little rough,but will post the face lift as soon as possible... [8D]
LOOK AT THAT....Do I spy two F1 cars in those photos? You got a really sweet deal for 86 bucks. What ideas do you have instore the the face lift? You've gotta post up the pics. I can't wait to see them.

Hey Marty, those are some sick lookin chassis. I love the Orange car. Very clean!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:11 PM
mopartybob

Might just upgrade motors and gearing,and keep'em as everyday runners.... but for sure some NEW bodies at least,.... I'm still waitin for the release of the F103R........or ........ the MLP F1 is another option,......... Xmas is right around the corner........
Old 10-23-2008, 07:56 PM
xzavin

Again guys, looking for help, RCmart has a car, great, now you guys all run cars, what are your setups? I could really use the ESC, Motor, Servo, and radios you are using, the car comes as 119.90 but needs 1 2 channel radio and reciever, 1 servo, one ESC, 1 motor, and uh...spur parts?

heres the car and the list is below if you need to check it.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-tam...cPath=420_1167

Thanks!

By the way, I am looking for a good motor, not sure but most are like 12T....what are you running, I know in drifting, I loved my 15T motor, and I still got an extra one lying around, its a firebolt 15T, would that work with an F1 car? so I will leave you now I have to shower.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Vyger

Marty those cars look AWESOME! Did you make those stickers yourself? If you did that's most impressive. I know I said this already but those chassis look sick! EEWWW...CAARRBON FIIBEERR...MMMMM Sorry I digressed for a second.

Well...it's Thursday night, I got home from work, made a Jack & Coke, and thought what a great night for stickering...so I decided to cruise on down the garage and see what I could do with the Sauber.

I only worked on the body tonight. I still have to finish the interior, rear wing and what ever else I can think of.

I started out with the usual, wiping the body down with rubbing alcohol, I also cleaned my fingers off really well so I don't leave fingerprints on the back side of the stickers.

After I laid the same stickers on each side I decided I'd tape off the bottom line of the chassis. This is where the chassis pan rolls up on a real F1. The reason I taped it off is so I could lay a little flat black on it. I think it ads another element to the car. Most people don't even notice it, but I like the way it looks. I do this to all my cars.

After the paint dried, I laid on the other stickers that go just above this area. From this angle you can see the two different textures, smooth lexan and the flat black.

Then I moved to the nose. This is sort of difficult area to sticker. You have to be conscious of keeping the sticker centered as well a level. To help with this I lay down a thin strip of pin striping tape. I make sure it's straight (level), then I mark it with a pin to find the center. From here I lay the stickers on. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of the pinstripe tape, just the final result after. Sorry...did I mention I had a Jack & Coke...or two. :weird:

After the nose was done the body was pretty much stickered up. Here's some pics of where I left off.

Just the rear wing and helmit left to work on. Tomorrow's Friday and since we all know I don't have much of a life, I'll probably wrap this up. Then it's onto the McLaren
Old 10-24-2008, 01:51 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Vyger, the car looks great!

ORIGINAL: xzavin

Again guys, looking for help, RCmart has a car, great, now you guys all run cars, what are your setups? I could really use the ESC, Motor, Servo, and radios you are using, the car comes as 119.90 but needs 1 2 channel radio and reciever, 1 servo, one ESC, 1 motor, and uh...spur parts?
I don't believe the description on there is accurate. From what I understand the car comes with a 540 silver can motor and doesn't need any extra spur gear parts. Can anyone else who bought the RM kit confirm? I know my original F103 came with the motor.

According to TowerHobbies the F103RM requires:
Radio: Two channel with steering servo
Radio Batteries: Eight AA size
Speed Control: Electronic
Battery: 6-cell flat pack with standard connector, 7-cell will not fit.
Charger: AC/DC timed or peak for 6-cell battery
Paint: Spray or brush-on polycarbonate safe
Misc. Items: Building and track equipment
Old 10-24-2008, 02:33 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

I thought ALL Tamiya kits came with a silver can? my F103GT did. it costs them what, $0.04 to put the stupid thing in there? it probably costs more to ship it with the silver can in there than the motor costs Tamiya
Old 10-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Vyger

ORIGINAL: drevil

Vyger, the car looks great!

I don't believe the description on there is accurate. From what I understand the car comes with a 540 silver can motor and doesn't need any extra spur gear parts. Can anyone else who bought the RM kit confirm? I know my original F103 came with the motor.
Thanks drevil, you know I was thinking about you last night when I posed up those pics. Since you told me you really liked the Sauber car.

Regarding the RM standard equipment; Mine came with a motor and spur gear. It has the normal kit supplied silver can, 540 motor. It also has the standard 72 tooth (I think it's 72) spur gear and a pinion. I'm thinking something may have been lost in translation. The only thing needed to get this car rolling is a ESC, servo, battery and radio.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:43 AM
mopartybob

YES,.....the sauber looks GREAT .... thanks for the detailing tips also Vyger, I wonder if the MLP bodies will fit??? sure would save ALOT of time and possibly frustration/aggravation [8D] I did research the MLP site and they've got alot of good stuff coming out ,... I would suggest copying and pasting the link to them, or type it into your browser as the link does not work when clicked.... [:-]
Old 10-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Vyger

Thanks Bob, I hope the tips/techniques are helping. I've actually had fun doing this. I just have to remember to take pics and mentally make a note of what I'm trying to say and accomplish. That's not easy for me. LOL

You should shoot a pm over to MLP...or did you do that already. His car bodies look sweet. But you're going to miss out of the fun (frustration/aggravation) of doing it yourself. LOL What ever you do make sure you post up some pics. If you end up buying a finised one you can always post pics of you writing the check. LOL
Old 10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
mopartybob

LOL...FUN???? maybe further down the road......... but for now,Heck,i'm still learnin how to drive,.... [:@][:-] (and I already pm'ed MLP)..
Old 10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
xzavin

Oh, well can people tell me what they are running on their cars.

I would love to know the motor, ESC, Servo, and any other upgrade parts, one more thing that I'm seeing, I looked through the pictures on this thread, nobody seems to have any chassis that aren't carbon woven, is that because it's stock or because everybody just upgraded their parts, I'm buying the kit so and carbon woven parts or alluminum parts I can use would be helpful so I don't have to take it apart to put them in, just looking for some help, thanks guys.

Oh and Vyger, when I get my body, would you mind painting it for me, I want a nice looking shell, and I will paint my own shell too, just you make the best cars, me and my dad both think they look almost realistic.

Great job guys keep it up.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:49 PM
mopartybob

Not to hijack your thread Vyger,but i thought it would be better posting in here than elsewhere....well i was wonderin??? lol, why my suspension was'nt deflecting as it should...seems for the rear,the shock bellcrank screws were loose(Xtreme slop)tore it all down..(PITA) blue loc-tite on threads, cleaned out all the junk at the movable points...now all is good.. front suspension....same thing (PITA)... , but i also noticed when turning from side-side,the lower tie-rod connection would rub against the lower control arm deflecting the shock...?? ground off 2mm of the ball cap sleeve...alls good,..one ? for you Vyger,as I'm sure you've been here before, there is a little more slippage in both diffs than i would like,is there a way to tighten this up????? Once again,my apologies for adding fix-it ???? to your show n tell thread..
Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Vyger

What up Bob, no worries. This place is for everyone and everything. I'm assuming you’re talking about the F201 chassis. I've never been a huge fan of this car. I don't think Tamiya did enough homework to get this one right, out of the box. It looks baller, but comes up short in some areas. I think the kit should have included a Dremel for fit and finish (just my opinion). Like a TRF kit, Tamiya Ready to File.

I'm assuming your diffs are coming apart because you’re running a hot motor in the car. I would replace the lock nut, and maybe use thicker grease on the thrust assembly. You could also use the TB EVO III hard carbon nut retainer. I don't have the part number on this. I remember my stock one would get soft and those little plastic ears wouldn't hold the nut in place after a while. Other than that I don't have any other suggestions for you. MLP might be able to give you some more solid suggestions for this chassis. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:43 PM
MLP F1

Well here at MLP yes we make cars and parts but we also love racing them and building others as well

[link]http://picasaweb.google.com/mlpmotorsports/F103Senna[/link]
Old 10-25-2008, 11:27 PM
mopartybob

ORIGINAL: Vyger

What up Bob, no worries. This place is for everyone and everything. I'm assuming you’re talking about the F201 chassis. I've never been a huge fan of this car. I don't think Tamiya did enough homework to get this one right, out of the box. It looks baller, but comes up short in some areas. I think the kit should have included a Dremel for fit and finish (just my opinion). Like a TRF kit, Tamiya Ready to File.

I'm assuming your diffs are coming apart because you’re running a hot motor in the car. I would replace the lock nut, and maybe use thicker grease on the thrust assembly. You could also use the TB EVO III hard carbon nut retainer. I don't have the part number on this. I remember my stock one would get soft and those little plastic ears wouldn't hold the nut in place after a while. Other than that I don't have any other suggestions for you. MLP might be able to give you some more solid suggestions for this chassis. Good luck and I hope this helps.
naw i'm still runnin the "black can" motor, but your info is welcome nonetheless,the diffs are'nt comin apart (yet) but I did find out how to "tighten'em up".... will soon be looking into the lite weight diffs, but right now, i'm a eye-ballin all the goodies from MLP...... Man,they got "THE STUFF"........
Old 10-27-2008, 09:01 AM
The Collector1
My Feedback: (2)

Work in progress

Name:	Db84661.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1059882  
Old 10-27-2008, 10:19 PM
alphacat1

F-1 at Nexus,Marrietta GA Nov 8

10-26-2008, 03:31 PM Nexus on the 8th and other F1 news
Report | Post #1

Oh goody! Bring the F1 stuff to Nexus gang it's racetime! Looks like it's going to be 4 cell and stock motors for the d-drives. Gift cards for this race of 50, 30 and 20 dollars to the top 3 F1's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.