Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Bugs in Real Flight G2

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Bugs in Real Flight G2

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 08:14 PM
BSC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugs in Real Flight G2

Does anyone else have problems with Real Flight's horrible copy protection schemes? I've had to re-install Real Flight G2 probably 50 different times on my computer over the last couple of years because it randomly forgets the serial number and tells me to reinstall it. This last time, it wouldn't even let me reinstall it. It just keeps telling me to put a disk in a drive that doesn't exist on my computer. It's a shame that they are so paranoid about somebody copying G2 that they screw over their paying customers.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:12 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Bugs in Real Flight G2

I had problems like this once, and it turned out to be small scratches on the CD. I called customer support, they mailed me a new CD, and it worked fine. I downloaded the update that makes it not need the CD each time, and have not had a problem since.

Carl
Old 07-04-2004, 07:02 AM
azvmax

Which update are talking about.
Im not aware of that update.
Please enlighten me.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:01 AM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

From the control panel click on "online updates" and it will check for the latest update. Mine is version 2.00.723 (click "Help> About" to see your version."

Carl
Old 07-04-2004, 08:24 PM
BSC

Unfortunately that's a whole different issue. It's not asking me to put the CD in to play the game, it's actually making me re-install the entire G2 from CD because it "forgets" the serial number. I've always kept it up-to-date through the online updates, but it still does it. Oh well.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:42 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

One problem you mentioned is not a G2 problem at all... but a symptom of another problem,
which may actually be the root of all your issues with G2. No promises though... just fix it and see.

If you ever have a game ask you to insert a CD into drive X:, where "X" is a drive that doesn't
exist... then you need to do a clean uninstall... and possibly a thorough search of your registry
to remove all related registry keys. This happens when, say... you had more drives or partitions
when you originally installed, than you do now. Either that, or you reassigned the drive to another
letter after the install. It could also be that something/someone has mucked with your registry.

Don't take offense, if you're "legal"... but the only other possibility is that it's a pirated version
to begin with, copied from another machine... and the copyright protection routines are busting you.

Anyhow... once all traces of the product are removed from your machine, (double check!)
do a nice clean install of the product, and your troubles should be over. (Until such time as you
add/remove/reassign CD/DVD/HD drives again. Then you might need to repeat the process.)

Of course, you could also just search the registry, find which key(s) G2 uses to store the installation
drive letter... and manually change it right there. It would save a bit of work, no doubt.

Just some thoughts.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:10 PM
BSC

Yes, but we should never be seeing this "sympton of another problem", because G2 should not be losing the serial number in the first place and requiring the disk to be inserted. I have tons of other programs on this computer that require serial numbers to be entered and I have not once had to reinstall any of them. Also, I respectfully disagree with you that "the only other possibility is that it's a pirated version." And you should never have to reinstall software on your hard drive because you add/remove/change drives around. What sense does it make for G2 to be storing the installation drive letter anyway? I payed $200 plus $60 more for two of the add-ons. I shouldn't have to be searching through the registry for this thing!

ORIGINAL: C_Watkins

One problem you mentioned is not a G2 problem at all... but a symptom of another problem,
which may actually be the root of all your issues with G2. No promises though... just fix it and see.

If you ever have a game ask you to insert a CD into drive X:, where "X" is a drive that doesn't
exist... then you need to do a clean uninstall... and possibly a thorough search of your registry
to remove all related registry keys. This happens when, say... you had more drives or partitions
when you originally installed, than you do now. Either that, or you reassigned the drive to another
letter after the install. It could also be that something/someone has mucked with your registry.

Don't take offense, if you're "legal"... but the only other possibility is that it's a pirated version
to begin with, copied from another machine... and the copyright protection routines are busting you.

Anyhow... once all traces of the product are removed from your machine, (double check!)
do a nice clean install of the product, and your troubles should be over. (Until such time as you
add/remove/reassign CD/DVD/HD drives again. Then you might need to repeat the process.)

Of course, you could also just search the registry, find which key(s) G2 uses to store the installation
drive letter... and manually change it right there. It would save a bit of work, no doubt.

Just some thoughts.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:08 PM
C_Watkins
My Feedback: (10)

Well, I've only got a few pounds of other software... but this IS a common protection scheme
It has also been incredibly common, in the Windows world, to have to perform full uninstalls
followed by comprehensive registry sweeps, to clear up after a bad software installation.
Not every piece of software will tolerate simply being re-installed over a previous installation.

Don't take the piracy bit personally, if you're not guilty. I'm not accusing you.
There are just very few things, in my experience, which can cause your issues.
I probably was, however, a bit closed-minded in saying, "the ONLY other possibility", because
I'm sure I missed a couple other extremely remote ones... so I'll buy that.

Still:
A serial is stored on your hard drive somewhere... either in a registry key, or in a config file, or less
commonly, encrypted into the actual game binary (or some companion executable) at install time.
Some software checks for valid licensing on every load, while some will only check periodically.
In either case, things better hash out, or the piece of software will not operate properly.

Very common for software that is at high risk of being pirated. (or that the authors perceive as high risk)
Heck, if you think $260 gives you the right to easy living, with regard to copyright protection... try telling
it to someone paying $5000 ~ $8000 for the latest whizz-bang CAD software... complete with hardware
dongle that, if tampered or damaged, prevents the software from operating until they get a new one

If you don't feel like uninstalling and/or cleaning up your registry, try calling tech support... I hear
they're very good, and will likely get you going quicker than posting here and waiting for answers.

Hope you get it up and running again soon.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:23 AM
Phil Cole

Realflight uses .ini files to store most stuff. They're in the installation directory (bad luck if there are mulitple users on your system). You can easily change the drive letter of the CD drive by editting one of the ini files.