Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

G3 vs FSone vs G3.5 (FSone comparison review)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

G3 vs FSone vs G3.5 (FSone comparison review)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:01 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G3 vs FSone vs G3.5 (FSone comparison review)

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

From your First post:

From what little I know about the editor features of FSone, G3 seems to be much more user friendly. However, I can't say this for a fact as I didn't mess in the editor.

From post #7
FSone was pretty good(from my very limited perspective) Not a bad first offering at all as far as flight characteristics and reality are. However, the real issue for me is the editor

How can you say it is an issue if you didn't use it????
You need to read the rest of my Post #7:

If I am able to get the plane to fly exactly the way I want, easily, then it would be a good sim to have. G3.5's editor is really good though and would be very hard to beat.

And for ya'll FSone folks, I'm sure it's great to you, but the real test is if I, a novice to your sim, can do it.
I thought I made it clear that the real test is the editor, and that since I hadn't used FSone's editor, I could not say for sure that it is "a good sim to have."

50%

I did read your post....

and you say that you have issues with the editor....but you had previously stated and then confirmed that you have NOT used the editor...

So how can "the real issue" be the editor....if you haven't used it???
Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

did read your post....

and you say that you have issues with the editor....but you had previously stated and then confirmed that you have NOT used the editor...

So how can "the real issue" be the editor....if you haven't used it???
you are misunderstanding what I mean. I'll try to explain:

The issue( read as: factor or object) that determines how good a sim really is is the editor.

I'm not meaning issue as a problem. I'm meaning it as a determining factor. I do not say anywhere that I "have issues" with the editor.

Consider the political scene. Now, I'm not going to discuss politics, but think about this, asume that a politition says "the issue of this day is gA_y marriage" Now, in this statement, no side is taken. I have my beliefs, and you have yours. Maybe they're the same, maybe not. I'm meaning what I said about the editor function in the same way. G3 has a great editor in my opinion, but that won't help you if you can't use it. FSone may have a better one though. As you probably read, I hate the way the FSone Edge 540 flys. Now, if I own FSone, I would like to make the Edge fly the way I want. If I can't work the editor to make the edge have my setup, then what good is the sim going to be for me if the planes don't fly the way my planes fly. That is the key issue in any sim. If you don't like the editor function in G3, you shouldn't buy G3 unless the planes fly the way you like them to from the start. I hope this made it clear to you what I meant.

50%

(edited to make gay gA_y as RCU made gay look like this: ****)
Old 10-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Iquit214

Anyone that thinks that ..........edited out..........is not worth listening to. remaining portion of post edited out.

Everyone,
The subject of this thread is a comparison of the three sim versions in the title. Any discussion of each other is not on the topic.

Do not expect your post to be cleaned up for you. Stick to the subject and your opinions and ideas have a better chance of remaining.

Thank you.

daRock

Old 10-27-2006, 11:58 AM
rjm1982

off topic sentence edited out............

Its a matter of feeling. I own a twist, a blade cp, and a blade cx. (i own alot more, but none that are in the sim)

None of these 3 feel right at all in the sim. The twist will go from a full dive to an almost stationary hover in a split second in the sim...not really realistic...in real life, that momentum has to go somewhere...

The cp is way too solid in the sim. I was flying around one-handed with it, you will never see a blade cp (even the pro) do that in real life. The cx...if there is one thing that everyone mentions the first time they fly a contra-rotating heli, is that the pirouette rates are different in the different directions, one will be slow as heck, the other really fast. The flight model of the CX in the game doesn't represent that at all.

None of the sims have the physics perfect, but G3 (3.5 beta has some issues, but its still beta) is the closest i've found. I for one love the night flying because i have flown at night with my foamies alot, and once with a heli. Its a blast, and a different experience...to see it in the sim is awesome.

FSOne isn't bad. In its juvenile state, its pretty good, and will only get better. The physics though, have a ways to go, for me. Its not that I'm "used" to the other sims, I'm "used" to real planes and helicopters. Heli physics (when you get into 3d) feel really wrong to me, and when you get inverted, the heli feels and acts like it weighs alot less, which is really weird...

Its an opinion...keep it at that... remaining edited out
Old 10-27-2006, 01:13 PM
shakes268

I don't know....I've been flying G3 for almost 2 years now. Been through all of the updates in that time frame. While it was getting better, it was still off in some cases. My QQ Yak flies better than the Yak on the G3 sim ever did (yes, after tweaking and tweaking). However, I still use it.

I purchased FS One a couple of weeks ago. It has an overall more realistic feel to me - especially when climbing vertical (the "no dome" aspect). This has become my new favorite but I'm waiting on G3.5 (GP/Knife Edge hasn't lost me yet).

G3.5 is in beta. Hopefully it will be fixed. We'll see though, the physics in 3.5 to me are blatantly wrong in some areas. I wish they had spent more time on the physics than they had on the Night Flying gimmick. The heli and hover trainers are very nice and when the bugs are worked out they will get a lot of use by me.

Until G3.5 does something about their physics I'm flying on FS One. I like the interface, I like the planes, I like the physics.

For the record, I am not a "fan boy" of any sim company.

EDIT/UPDATE: Knife Edge just posted on their forums they deem the flight model in 3.5 better than 3.0 and that they consider the code ready to ship. The customers opinions were great but they were going to go with the professional pilots' opinions that they hired first. Glad I don't have to pay for this update!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:07 PM
rjm1982

Yeah...

Not to say that i will buy fsone now..although i might...but i certainly wont be giving KE anymore support finacially... very bad form KE, very bad indeed.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Iquit214

I don't consider myself to be a fanboy. I should have clarified that I was talking about.

I did not buy FS One for the helicopters. I have been hearing pheonix is the sim for that. For that reason I can not argue that the helis in FS One may be no better than G3.5. According to the forums they are both in need of some help in this area.

My comments were strictly toward airplanes. The overall reaction of the physics in FS ONE is more realistic. LESS FAULT can be found in the way the plane flys. An example is hovering. The plane has less float to it and just reacts more like the real thing. This is invaluable to improving my skills without actually heading out to the feild.

AS far as learning to hover, G3 did a fine job of teaching me that. It trained my thumbs to react and saved me money in repairs. However it gave me a false scence of accomplishment as it was much easier than being out at the field.

I am simply tired of people saying G3.5 is better based of the time they played with it at the hobby shop. There are to many factors that come into play testing something for a few minutes at a hobby shop. Expo rates, CG, scaled size of plane, and various other settings. If you pick up the controller and expect the plane to "feel" better than the plane you have tweaked in G3.5, it is probably going to feel different and lead you to think "thats not as good as my sim"

Unless you own both sims, I do not think you can give an unbaised review. Most people who own a sim have spent some time tweaking the models to be like the ones we fly in the field. I don't think you can really walk up to a demo and then come back home and write us your "unbiased review"

My previous post may have come across wrong. G3 can be considered better in many ways. I feel that most unbiased reviews should be able to support reason to buy either product.

NIght flying -G3 only
Gaming - G3 wins (FS1 only has bombdrop/bottle rocket game and pylon racing)
Graphics - G3 wins (FS1 has impressive graphics, but G3 is a little better) FS1 runs a little faster on lower end computers
Training - G3 wins (some may argue that FS1 is better, but I think G3 does a better job)
Physics - FS1 wins (This may not be enough to sway someone to buy FS1, but is where FS1 stand out)
Online play - G3 wins
Amount of planes - G3
Helicopters - ?
Support - ? FS1 is being very promt with their support and help in the forums and on the phone. This is due to it being a new product. Time will tell

G2 could never be patched to run like G3. The Physics engine was completly changed. In that same way, I do not belive the platform in G3 can be patched to run much better. The promising thing about FS one physics is it is leaps and bounds better than the physics in G3 when it first came out.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:00 AM
service_dude

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

The CG was too far forward, so it didn't allow for spectacular 3D performance.(3D was good though) Other problems that I found are that in G3.5, you can rip a wing off. In FSone, I tried, but I could only crash the plane. Sometimes, the plane would just cartwheel in one piece.
Funny, I'm new to R/C and have been flying for 7 months now. While I have never had a flight event that caused the wing to rip off I have had my share of cartwheels

Having only 7 months of flying time I suck as a pilot and I know it. Throughout the time I have been learning to fly I have been using G3 as a training tool and I cant say enough good things about how much this sim has helped me gain flying skills. I think a sim is invaluable as a training tool for me as a beginner pilot.

Right now I'm flying an E-flite Ultimate FX/400 outrunner and the Mini Funtana/480 outrunner. I have the Mini Funtana CG set forward right now so I can handle the plane better with my limited flying skills. I initially set the CG rearward but could not land the dang thing. With the CG rearward I stalled the right wing 2 feet of the ground coming in for a landing and did a fine cartwheel(no wing ripped off) anyone would be proud of On G3 I have been using the Katana Mini Electric that I downloaded for training but cannot get the plane to duplicate my experience landing with my Mini Funtana. I moved the CG back on the Katana Mini(and other planes) in the sim but all it does is make the plane bounce higher when I land it.

I did have a chance to use FSone at a local hobby shop. I only flew the Mini Funtana 90 but I did think the flying physics seemed much better in FSone than G3. Landing the Mini Funtana 90 in FSone seemed to more closely match my experience with my own Mina Funtana.

As far as the G3.5 beta goes, I did download it and as others have said it seems to be a step backwards from G3 physics.

I'll end up buying FSone at some point here this winter. I think for the planes (manufacture) I'm flying its a better choice for me at this point in time.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:48 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

With G3.5 you can't edit the strength of any component of the aircraft. If you tweaked the power level real high, you can easily blow the stab off and I can't find a way to strengthen it as I could with G3. I really like everything else thou.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:39 PM
jhimmel

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

With G3.5 you can't edit the strength of any component of the aircraft. If you tweaked the power level real high, you can easily blow the stab off and I can't find a way to strengthen it as I could with G3. I really like everything else thou.
Of course you can. When editing a plane, change to "Display Advanced Properties" under "Options". Component strength multipliers become available.

Jim H.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:54 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

I like G3.5 alot. I dont like the fact that G3 and G3.5 sometimes drops you from online multiplayer flying. Not sure whats up with that.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:24 AM
RonHill
My Feedback: (1)

I have had G2, G3 and G3.5. I have flown FSone at my LHS.
I have been flying RC planes for 20 years and Helis about a year.

I like G3 better than FSone and 3.5 MUCH better.

The first big thing to jump out at me is the controler...I like the feel of the FSone controler, but the switches are all wrong.
For planes, who has three rates on the upper right switch all three on all channels?
For helis they switches are ALL wrong. Throttle hold is on the right and the V curves on the left on every radio but Airtrionics...How did Horizon screw that up? And the throttle hold and V curves are so important when flying a heli.

Physics.
G3 and 3.5 are not the best, but FSone I could not find one plane or heli that I have flown that flew even close.
Planes: The 46% Ultimate, Funtana's and Sticks on FSone flew nothing like the real ones IMO.
Heli's: The Blade on FSone is the BEST 3D machine ever. I own a blade and it is nothing like that at all. The Vigor is not close either.

The modification on G3 is easy to understand. FSone I still don't understand.

Play.
G3.5 has a bunch of gimicks. Fun, but not my thing...for example I don't care about the night fly stuff.
FSone I could not care about the bomb runs, I did play them, but found it like a really bad kids game.

Computer. Using the SAME computer I found that FSone had issues with frame rates on planes, but not on the Heli's.

I could not recomend FSone to anyone with G3 out there....And if you plan on using it for Helicopter training the controler means you will be training the wrong switches with IMO is worthless.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 AM
drobie

Just some brief and random comments from a new flyer with very limited experience . (Easy Star and Super Miss are the only planes I've flown so far.)

I got those two planes flying by using G2. Recently decided to upgrade and after reading quite a bit, (and getting sucked into the hype) I purchased FSOne.

I think it would be hard for someone up to an intermediate flyer to make a decision on these two based on actual flight performance. I don't notice much difference in the way planes fly and are controlled in G2 or FS One. (I assume G3.5 is an improvement over G2 in ways that beginners wouldn't notice.)

FSOne views seem to have much less range than G2. I think as a plane gets further away, it's acually easier to keep track of in G2.

FSOne's support and documentation is absolutely anemic. No manual and the program based help is just a glorified feature list. It tells you what can be done, but not how do it. I have yet to find any kind of usaeble"how to" in the whole program based help file. You have to fumble through the online FAQ, which is a forum on the FS website that you can't post to. Lot's of answers there, but I'd rather have them available in a *.pdf that is indexed with a table of contents.

Every term in a program like this ought to be defined.

I couldn't find a phone number or even support email address either.

More on help

I tried to edit a Park Zone J3 Cub to be more like an E-Flite J3 ARF 25 (a plane I just bought) and failed. All that I get is green screen when attempting to fly the copied and edited Cub. When I go into the copy of the Cub I made and renamed, no changes are saved. The "Specifications" field still shows the ParkZone measurement. I don't know why it's not saving.

(CG has to be entered in feet? Does FSOne think everyone flies 1/4 scale?)

I think the program could have spent 6 more months in development and/or beta testing before release. It FEELS incomplete. Help and simple answers regarding basic functionality and definitions should not be so hard to find. I'm sure the there is a way to figure out why my edited plane doesn't work, but it's VERY difficult to find out why.

Hanger 9 and Inertia have a lot of work to do.

That said, I do like the limited number of planes and fields offered in FSOne better than all the ones in RealFlight and will hang on hoping InertiaSoft does some quick work on it.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:45 PM
igotfish2

visited my local hobby shop the other day. they have an FS1 demonstrator which according to the sales clerks...has somebody at it almost all the time. glad they did. was looking at getting it vs the g3.5 but heres whats real interesting...

the store sells way more g3.5 over the fs1!

i have g2...but after 'flying' the fs1 for some time, i decided to get the g3.5.

glad i did. less money and a ton of more features! and sorry to all those who want to cut fs1 a break in that 'it's new..give em a chance'. they should have done a helluva lot better job than they did with it.. not worth the money right now...
Old 11-21-2006, 07:51 AM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I for one have a FuntanaX 100, Ultra Stick 120 and Twist 40 and the corresponding models in FSOne have the same feel and flight characteristics. That is the main reason I chose FSOne over G3.5. I own many of the planes in FSOne and can apply my simulator practice time to the actual field.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:46 AM
GizmoMadMax

Hello,
Can someone help a newbie at today's flight Simulators for fixed wing aircraft and models? I have flow R/C fixed wing plances on and off for 20 years, now getting back into it after maybe 4 or 5 years, and I have a chief flight instructor helping me at the club field with my powered glider and my .40 Fledgling power plane, and man am I rusty... my son and daughter are flying FSM with my JR radio pre-teens, and they want to fly bad and I want to learn on the best flight sim on the market for planes.

Man I am confused, it seems from the forums and reviews(I could find) and websites, that AeroFly is the best and FS One 2nd and Phoenix 3rd and G3(not G3.5 lost physics qualities), then Reflex XTR, then X-Plane and then all the under $50 USD flight sims... I called a few mfg'ers and AeroFly claims thiers is the best physics globally...? Help a newbie quick, I don't have cash to buy but one, not all of these...
Some of the reviews are wimps and afraid to post comparisons, just lame reviews for one product at a time, what is up with that???

Thanks for any solid help and real reviews you can supply...
Old 03-29-2007, 06:50 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost half the posts in this forum address the which should I buy questions that appear throughout this forum.

Read through the threads that ask which is best and you'll have the advice already typed out and ready to read, as opposed to having it all typed out again here.

Bottom line is that the two you can buy in most LHS's are more than worth what you pay for them. And all of the ones that're mentioned often in these forums will be excellent for refresher training.

I laid off RC for over 10 years. First thing I did when I got back in was buy an ARF and "the most popular" simulator. The $200 I spent for the sim was the best money I've put into the hobby. I still fly the sim. The ARF turned out to be a poorly designed money sinkhole that had a few "chinese manufacturing oversights".
Old 03-29-2007, 09:43 AM
igotfish2

The ARF turned out to be a poorly designed money sinkhole that had a few "chinese manufacturing oversights".
AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!....and i could go on and on and on and on having purchased 20 afr's over the past 6 years...

nice to see another modeler who knows how a model should be built!!

rcuniverseltk ....if you want a great sim for a great price....i recommend you try to find a G2. they pop up on ebay a lot, and after
messing with G3.5 for some months now, G3/5 may have more 'candy' features, but G2 flies better and more realistic. go figure...

and yes, sims are worth every penny. they have saved me a ton of $$ in crashes....

good luck and have a blast...
Old 12-15-2007, 12:36 PM
sscafidi

I am looking to purchase a flight simulator software for my computer for Christmas. I have been looking at the FSOne and G3.5. I am relatively new at the RC hobby and would like to get the opinion from more experienced pilots on which of these two program is better than the other and why.
THanks in advance for your opinion.
Sal