Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Newbbie question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 AM
D4nY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbbie question

I am new to nitro rc world and i have a few question. I just bought a volcan s30 truck and i was wondering wich fuel to use. Should i be looking for a particular brand? is there a brand that i should avoid at all cost? what is the difference between 15% 20% 30% ?? wich percentage is better to run my truck?

Old 07-10-2011, 05:28 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: Newbbie question

ORIGINAL: D4nY

I am new to nitro rc world and i have a few question. I just bought a volcan s30 truck and i was wondering wich fuel to use. Should i be looking for a particular brand? is there a brand that i should avoid at all cost? what is the difference between 15% 20% 30% ?? wich percentage is better to run my truck?

I run 20% nitro and 12% blended oil (synthetic/castor blend) car fuel in my cars. I prefer Blue Thunder, Odonnells, and Byrons. They run cleaner and tune easier than a lot of other fuels out there. I would not recommend Traxxas Top Fuel. I havent known of many people that have gotten it to run well and not make the engine run hot.

In a RC Car, Nitro is usually increased to make more power. There is a marginal increase in power going from say 20% to 30% but at the expense of using more fuel in the same amount of time and having a warmer running engine. Not to mention the more nitro in the fuel the more it costs. Nitro is expensive. For most backyard basher type folks, 20% nitro is all you'll ever need. Engine break-in goes much smoother if you use a fuel with a little castor oil in it. A lot of "RTR" blends on shelves today have some castor in it, which helps the engine break-in faster and last longer.

Just an FYI - There is a Car and Truck/Buggy forum towards the top of the main forum screen. This section is kinda geared more towards airplanes and helicopters. You can get more specific car info there.

Good luck.