Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > RC Fuels
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good 2-stroke oil for smaller Gasoline engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Looking for a good 2-stroke oil for smaller Gasoline engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 03:42 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Basil Yousif
That looks like good stuff. The gallon price isn't bad. I guess you can add stabilizers to it. The stuff for Model Airplanes is very expensive though at $17 a quart. The STHL fully synthetic with stabilizers is cheaper.
It's the same price as Klotz Modelube.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:48 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Basil Yousif
I use the Evolution 10cc and the oil level has to be 7oz per gallon. I get a black spray on the plane. Will this stuff get rid of that.
The 10cc needs to have a 20:1 mix. Don't use a lighter mix no matter what the oil manufacturer claims . Klotz gives me a small amount of dark deposits with the 10cc. You could try the Evolution oil as it is a clear blue tint and leaves light colored deposits.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SPL is a total synthetic formula, very much unlike the other synthetics out there. Although it will not produce carbon, you may see an increase in carbon residue on your plane because this lubricant has the unique property of breaking up built up deposits and cleaning out the combustion chamber, ring lands and piston top.
Also remember that you will always have some residue since gasoline does not burn clean.
As Brian (flyinwalenda) points out, always use the mixture ratio that the engine manufacturer recommends.

I hope this helps
Old 03-15-2015, 05:19 PM
HunkaJunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a large number of quality 2-stroke oils, just be sure to use an oil that is designed for air cooled engines (API TC or JASO FD ratings) , don't use an oil with a TC-W3 rating, those are for water cooled 2 strokes.

I have used many brands of 2 stroke oils that I would feel comfortable using in most anything, some of them include but are not limited to, in no particular order.

Lawn Boy (not synthetic)
Ace Hardware (synthetic blend)
Stihl HP ultra (full synthetic, currently using this)
Craftsman full synthetic
Bel Ray (something - full synthetic)
Amsoil Dominator (Full Synthetic)
Mobil1 2T (I used this for years but have not seen any in a few years)
Evolution Engines (blue 2-stroke oil)

Then there is all the no-name stuff I used because it was on sale at the small engine shop for $0.79 a bottle, I found it difficult to go wrong with most any modern 2-stroke oil as long as you stay within the engine manufacturers guidelines.

Last edited by HunkaJunk; 03-15-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:26 PM
sailr
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought an evolution 10cc gas engine. The instructions say to NOT use Amsoil! I use it in all of my other engines. Any reason why Evolution would say that? And by the way, if you have a 10cc evolution what oil are you using?
Old 12-28-2021, 09:45 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I can't help you with the Amsoil question.

Personally, I'd use Castrol PowerRS 2Stroke (in some countries Castrol TTS).
I get superb results with it, and it is cheap if you know where to get it.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:27 PM
sailr

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
I can't help you with the Amsoil question.

Personally, I'd use Castrol PowerRS 2Stroke (in some countries Castrol TTS).
I get superb results with it, and it is cheap if you know where to get it.
thanks. I'll try the castrol. Advance auto parts has it for $11 a quart. Pretty cheap!
Old 12-30-2021, 11:49 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

You're guaranteed to like it. In bulk it should be approx 7 bucks per quart, and at that price, never mind the bulk purchase, your clubmates will take it from your hands like there's no tomorrow.
I typically buy in boxes of 12, but have never managed to finish more than 3 bottles from a box (and I mix 10:1...).
Old 12-30-2021, 03:54 PM
sailr

anyone interested in a like new evolution 10cc? I never mounted it. It won't fit my airplane!!! My loss your gain $220 shipped.