Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Need help buying first large scale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Need help buying first large scale

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 AM
evilss99
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help buying first large scale

I am new to the large scale comunity. I have been wanting one for years. I have been doing nitro and electric 1/10 and 1/8 scales for years. Tons of fun. But now I am wanting to step it up. I have been reading alot of the post in this thread to get myself familiar and try to make a decision on what to buy. There are a ton of options. I think i have knocked it down to just a few. I was wanting you guys opinions since this will be my first and I am wanting a good deal. I am thinking of the following:

FG Monster Truck
FG 4wd Bettle
King Motors T1000
CEN Matrix 5T 4wd

What do you guys think? I am also looking at a certain FG monster on ebay right now. Here is the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/hpi-baja-fg-mons...item1e61fd2616

Is this a good deal. I know its a little bit more than I intended on spending for my first large scale. But I do want something dependable and tuff. I would appreciate any feedback from you guys. Thanks alot.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 AM
racetruck

Default RE: Need help buying first large scale

looks like a fair deal for the FG on flea bay have you looked at the redcat rampage yet the XT looks good
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 AM
evilss99

Yea i have looked at them. There was a guy on here that had a ton of problems out of his redcat though. Makes me worried to buy one. I will be driving and some small jumps. I dont think the redcat would hold up.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 AM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Redcat XT is nice and it is not even the same platform as the Redcat MT you are referring to but for jumping, the Bajas are your best bet cause you will break something regardless of the model...

Most importantly, How much money are you willing to spend?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 AM
evilss99

Well there will definatly be some jumping. Thats why I was really looking hard at the Baja's and the FG monster. With those the parts are more available at least. Around $1000. That one FG I posted the link to I would consider going higer. If you guys think its worth it.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 AM
mooman007uk

that FG is a really good deal considering all the upgrades it has cos FG stuff isn't cheap and you always have the option of converting to 4 wheel drive down the road for 400bucks(every now and then the kit comes on special for 275). maybe hold back on the buy it now and you may get it for less than 1500 as there's no reserve. the 4wd beetle is a nice unit but the ebay item has about 15-1800 in upgrades, comes with spares and can be converted, the beetle is bone stock.

I've seen a cen run personally and whilst OK it's still a low to mid grade quality clone like the KM... and not something I'd recommend for hard bashing or big jumps...the KM seems to be ok but again will need money throwing at it in upgrades...check the huge KM thread here on rcu for more info

the redcat XT/XB is being pumped up it seems before it's had a chance to prove itself but does show promise...only been out for a few weeks and is having a few teething problems albeit minor right now, it's not known how they'll be after 20-30 tanks of hard running yet though, it's an entry level rc, great price but not near FG quality. Another decent option to consider is the nutechs, proven to be very tough and reliable with just a few affordable upgrades, very bash worthy.

But keeping to your list i'd recommend the ebay item followed by the fgbeetle.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:49 AM
glenn201

I just got a MCD rrv4 they are a great buggy
Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 AM
evilss99

The KM I know I would be spending money on it to upgrade as I broke things. I have been keeping an eye on that forum post about those as well. I want a good quality. I know im going to break some stuff and thats fine. I just dont want to break something everytime I run and have a hard time finding parts. The KM or HPI clone and the FG seem like the easiest ones to get parts for. I will look up that nutech and see what I can find on that.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 AM
evilss99

Im not really wanting a buggy. A baja truck or a Monster truck are my main interest.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Sherv

how can you recommend a redcat rampage to someone that clearly stated they are looking at FG. I say go with the FG MT. It has the most realistic/scale look, the body looks great and is durable, the 4wd belt system is so smooth and efficient, and the stock Zenoah motor is excellent. You could also go for the 850 dollar FG Rwd model and in the future buy the 4wd kit which makes it pretty much the same as the 4wd Stock FG MT.
Go with the FG it is your best choice IMO. I would recommend Nutech but its not on your list and i'm afraid the redcat rampage fanboys might start coming after me with pitch forks. Personally If I could do it all over again (my 1/5th experience)... I would have gone with the FG hands down.

Check out www.5thscaleracingforum.com for good sale items on FG or other brands (2nd hand). You might get lucky and score a great deal. Good community there too.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:03 AM
evilss99

I will look up some nutech stuff. I really like the look of the FG and the duribility. My main 2 is that or a Baja. I will also check out that forum also.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:18 PM
rob64n

ORIGINAL: Sherv

(how can you recommend a redcat rampage) to someone that clearly stated they are looking at FG. I say go with the FG MT. It has the most realistic/scale look, the body looks great and is durable, the 4wd belt system is so smooth and efficient, and the stock Zenoah motor is excellent. You could also go for the 850 dollar FG Rwd model and in the future buy the 4wd kit which makes it pretty much the same as the 4wd Stock FG MT.
Go with the FG it is your best choice IMO. I would recommend Nutech but its not on your list and i'm afraid the redcat rampage fanboys might start coming after me with pitch forks. Personally If I could do it all over again (my 1/5th experience)... I would have gone with the FG hands down.

Check out www.5thscaleracingforum.com for good sale items on FG or other brands (2nd hand). You might get lucky and score a great deal. Good community there too.

THERE YOU GO AGAIN, SHERV. BUY ONE OR SHUTUP.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 PM
bbuzzard
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL...like he said!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
speedypetey61

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brother, save the headache and go with one of the following....In no certain order.

FG Modelsport 2wd or 4wd
Hpi Baja 5b or 5T
MCD, any version, there all well made and large scale RC stocks everything.

Forgetabout Redcat crap, KM garbage, any of those re-branded or cheap clones.

This is just my opinion to share with you from my personal experience.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Sherv

ORIGINAL: rob64n

ORIGINAL: Sherv

(how can you recommend a redcat rampage) to someone that clearly stated they are looking at FG. I say go with the FG MT. It has the most realistic/scale look, the body looks great and is durable, the 4wd belt system is so smooth and efficient, and the stock Zenoah motor is excellent. You could also go for the 850 dollar FG Rwd model and in the future buy the 4wd kit which makes it pretty much the same as the 4wd Stock FG MT.

THERE YOU GO AGAIN, SHERV. BUY ONE OR SHUTUP.
Thank you for contributing to the original posters thread. You are always helpful and a great contributor to these boards.
Anyway SpeedyPetey is right, the initial cost of the 3 well known brands will be higher than the FS/RedCat/Cen/Smartech brands but you get more car for your money. You spend less to get the MCD/HPI/FG running and spend less keeping it running compared to the other brands. You pay more in the long run on the lower end models. Ask all the well known guys around here.. Noyb, Pwaicon, Mooman, Pipeous, and so on. They say the same thing. You pay more you get more in this hobby... You pay less you get less with more headaches. Now that doesnt mean there are no good deals/value models... MCD Sportline, FG 2wd, and HPI SS models are all excellent value for what you get.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:26 AM
alvinm

What ever you do, don't be a victim of overpaying for an HPI. Its the same crap as KM and other clones and they break just as much or even more. You'll have enough money left over to buy another truck or buggy.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 AM
fourwheels0
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: alvinm

What ever you do, don't be a victim of overpaying for an HPI. Its the same crap as KM and other clones and they break just as much or even more. You'll have enough money left over to buy another truck or buggy.
sorry but your wrong.
i've had both and hpi is TONS better quality than km.
overpaying? how?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 AM
evilss99

do you guys think the fg monster or the baja is the better for me to start out on with the large scales. i am leaning more toward the fg cause i like the monster truck looks.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Sherv

The fg mt/st/mb/rubicon platform is excellent for a starter 1/5. You will enjoy it.
fyi just in case...
st = stadium truck
mb = monster beetle
Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 PM
alvinm

ORIGINAL: fourwheels0

ORIGINAL: alvinm

sorry but your wrong.
i've had both and hpi is TONS better quality than km.
overpaying? how?
Overpaying nearly $1300 for the 5sc compared to $700 for the KM, thats how.

From my experience..

Having been bashing with friends who all own Baja's, they have had more issues with their trucks than I have with mine. Two suffered torn rear tires and failed clutch bearings. One guy had a throtle servo go bad and if it wasn't for the fact that the truck fliped on its lid, it would have blasted a parked car. I had a stering servo go bad and the pullstart started acting up, so I replaced it.

So, from my experience, the HPI Baja to me is overpriced and not worth the extra money to purchase it. You can't convince me, I'm seeing it for myself. Now, if you buy a used one cheap, thats another story.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Obeast44

Ive had a KM, and 2- HPI Baja SS's , 2 of my buddies also have owned KMs. After experiencing them firsthand I can guarantee you that all 3 of us, if we had it to do over again, we would choose the KM hands down. Again thats judging from our personal experience.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM
alvinm

ORIGINAL: Obeast44

After experiencing them firsthand I can guarantee you that all 3 of us, if we had it to do over again, we would choose the KM hands down. Again thats judging from our personal experience.
Our sentiments exactly.. As a matter of fact, two of the guys with 5 sc's are pizzed because the other HPI owner bought his 5T cheap and even had a Dominator pipe..

I'm not even throwing in the fact that the new Baja comes with a 30.5, and while somewhat cheesy, a new transmitter with pretty cool features.

Now, if you ask me if I'd rather have a good used HPI for the same price as a new KM, then I would probably lean towards the HPI, although its not a clear cut choice.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:10 PM
splcrazy

first thing i noticed from getting out of electric and nitro was how slow giant scale gasser engines were lol , you get so used to tiny fast electric and nitro cars that when you drive a stock largescale for the first time you feel like crap cos its moving so slow LOL , , dont get dissapointed by this , just modify the engine , pipe , and gearing and you will be happy forever , and by the way get a hpi baja 5b
Old 03-05-2011, 04:28 PM
DarkFire989

I love my FG MT. They look awesome and can take a beating. Heres mine

Old 03-05-2011, 07:44 PM
NitroBurn1

Go with the 5b/5t models. Much better than the rest. All the other brands have puny shocks for the size of vehichle, and not much parts support. The HPI or HPI clone models are the best from my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.