Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Which radio ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:01 PM
savage28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radio ?

Hi to all,

once my visa is received ,hopefully by tomorrow i'm going to order FG marder race , an RTR without the radio and the receiver for

EUR 765 , good price i guess

Now i need your help guys, which radio to get [sm=bananahead.gif]? any help will be great from you .

Thanks
Old 07-20-2005, 09:22 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which radio ?

Everyone has ther own preference (usually what they already have ), and i am no different. I have the JR XS3 Pro and I love it...the total cost for radio, receiver, standard servo and metal gear servo was around $200.00, so it was fairly affordable, too.

Here is some reading material if you are interested:

JR XS3 Pro Synthesized Radio

JR’s XS3 Pro is an incredible combination of synthesized signal simplicity and an outstanding list of features. Using synthesized signal processing, the XS3 Pro allows racers to dispense with crystals and adjust their system’s signal to whatever frequency the track environment requires. No longer will racers have to sit out a heat because someone else shares the same channel. They can simply tune in an unused frequency and race on.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...odID=JRP337275
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Explore/...ArticleID=1353

COPYRIGHTED OR TRADEMARKED MATERIAL:
It is illegal to post any content that is copyrighted or trademarked, unless you hold the copyright or trademark. Any material protected by copyright may not be posted in the message boards without the expressed permission of the author or owner of the copyright on that material. This includes reproducing the full text of news stories, articles, etc. It is acceptable to provide a link to copyrighted material, to post brief excerpts, or to paraphrase other works, though we do strongly encourage you to cite the original source whenever possible.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_377662/tm.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28562.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	299666  
Old 07-20-2005, 10:26 PM
jimbo1890

I have the Futaba 3PK with HRS receiver. Multiplex Rhino for steering and a Hitec 5945mg for throttle/front/rear brakes

I have now had nearly 6 months of hassle free running with this combination, you can do a lot worse.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

My arsenal.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:06 PM
jimbo1890

Hey Tigger, how do you like your nomadio? have you had any problems?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:00 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: jimbo1890
Hey Tigger, how do you like your nomadio? have you had any problems?
A few. The original transceiver didn't work with a Mamba-25 brushless speed control. Since I was at RCX 2005, the guys from Castle Creations and Nomadio had a pow-wow. Nomadio then modified their transceiver and overnighted me a new one the next day. The original temp sensor also didn't work properly so they shipped me another one which appears to work fine. Recently, my replacement car transceiver also bit the bullet when I had it installed in my Mugen Seiki mbX5 and Nomadio has shipped me another one which will be here next week. However, I've only read a couple of other posts with owners having problems with the temp probe and the transceiver--one apparently had a capacitor come loose.

Two things that you should consider though is that fact that this is still the first release transceiver which is larger than the new one that is also supposed to be released soon--I had to modify the receiver box in my mbX5. It also won't fit in my 1/4 scale box and I have yet to try it in my 1/5th scale. Basically, the car transceiver is slightly larger than the JR RS300 synthesized receiver unit. For us guys who purchased the transmitter with the first release transceiver, Nomadio is supposed to ship the newer release transceiver with a different antenna for free and we get to keep the first release transceiver. Guinea pig--sort of, but I'm hoping it is worth it in the long run or what should be short term (a few weeks) since I'll get to keep a second transceiver.

The Nomadio Sensor also does not currently have a brake mix. I have been pushing Nomadio for a brake mix since I purchased the Sensor and I've been informed that they will update the software so it will have a brake mix soon. The nice thing is that all the updating has been done via a USB cable port attached to the Nomadio Sensor. The Sensor can then update the car transceiver via a cable in the transmitter battery compartment. One nice option over the Futaba T3PK is that both analog and digital servos can be used and distinguished. In other words, if I select "digital" it will send a faster signal to that particular servo so "all" digital servos don't have to be used as in HRS. High quality analog servos can also receive the faster signal. All of the local drivers that I have allowed to run my mbX5 using the Sensor have commented on how quick it responds.

I guess the question then becomes how long one wants to wait.... Wait for Spektrum RC to actually have real-time telemetry or wait for Nomadio to release their smaller transceiver and get a few more updates out there.... or just purchase the dang Nomadio now and get a second transceiver--at least that is what went through my mind.

Edit: I just received a PM from Nomadio. Apparently, the capacitor came loose in my car transceiver as well. That's two that I know of since one other person apparently had the same problem on the support forum. They also informed me that they are working on the situation, so I'm assuming that the issue should be resolved prior to the release of the updated transceiver. If no, I guess I'll find out when I get the updated transceiver as well.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:57 AM
jimbo1890

Thanks for the info. I really liked the idea of real time telemetry feedback so Ill have to look out for a cash job to pay for it.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:37 AM
ibstar

how much have you got to spend ?
do you have a preferance for sticks or wheel type ?
what freq is used in your country ?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Mad Wax

How much do you have to spend?
Well you need..

Transmitter- I guess £50 will get you a 40mhz transmitter
Receiver- £25
Transmitter batteries- 8 AA, £8
Receiver/servo batteryies- £20
Throttle servo- £30
Steering servo £40
Switch £7
LED checker £8
Fail safe- £10

Of course spend money on dual Rhino servos for steering, but the above is enough to get started with decent stuff. Getting low quality plastic gear servos at £10 for steering wouldn't be a good idea, despite being affordable :-)

I've just bought a 3PK PCM version, on it's way. Going to buy Rhino servo, undecided on T/B servo. You have to use 27 or 40mhz in the UK, using 35mhz for cars is illegal (plane/heli use only)
Old 07-22-2005, 04:57 AM
RC Collector

You might consider the new Spektrum DX3 - it's based on the JR XR/S radio with all the 2.4GHZ DSM features that ensure you'll never have a channel conflict, $250.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:45 AM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: RC Collector

You might consider the new Spektrum DX3 - it's based on the JR XR/S radio with all the 2.4GHZ DSM features that ensure you'll never have a channel conflict, $250.
That's the radio I have. Got it new from eBay for $172. No glitching, no channel worries and it has a built in failsafe. The flip up short antenna is cool also. Much more convenient than the usual pull up long antenna...
Old 07-31-2005, 01:55 AM
ToCkS

Where exactly do you guys purchase these... other than from ebay?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:08 AM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Well i've stated this before, but i guess i'll say it again. You don't "need" an expensive radio to run these cars. Sure it's awesome to have a radio with the bells and whistles, but i just want to point out that if you're looking to save some cash a standard FM radio will do fine. I'm running an Airtronics MX3 and i love it. I haven't had any glitching, and it has all of the settings i'll ever need.