Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Radio/Transmitter probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:11 PM
jammingmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio/Transmitter probs

I have the Duratrax FH and the radio/transmitter seems to be messing up. Sometimes the car can go about 75-100 yards away and have no problems.....other times it cant go 30 feet without the failsafe engaging (hold throttle wide open and it cycles...on...off...on...off). No other people in my area with r/c's, no power lines, fully charged batteries (all). If the radio or trans is going out, what would be a suitable replacement/upgrade? I dont have a lot of cash, so keep your recommendations around that. Thanks in advance!!

jamminGMC
Old 07-26-2005, 03:28 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Radio/Transmitter probs

I had a very similar problem with my Monster Beetle about 3 weeks after I got it. It turned out to be the failsafe. [] Remove your failsafe and see if that solves your problem. BUT! Even if it works fine without it, be sure to get another one soon...you do not want to drive a 30 lb. buggy without a failsafe. [X(]
Old 07-26-2005, 03:36 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio/Transmitter probs

I had glitching problems with my Firehammer failsafe. My solution was to buy a Hitech 9545 digital servo for throttle/brake. It has a lot more speed and torque than the stock servo, has metal gears, ball bearings and has a programmable built-in failsafe. To program the failsafe, you have to have the Hitech field programmer box. I bought the servo at my local hobby shop. They had the programmer and set up the travel and failsafe with the programmer. I have not had any more problems since. The servo set me back $85 but by the time you add up $40 for another servo and $30 for a failsafe, you are almost at the price range of the 9545.

I did not troubleshoot the failsafe so I can't offer much help. It could be damaged (mine too?) causing it to act erratically.

One shortcoming of the Firehammer that I would recommend if you haven't done so already...Use foam to pad the battery and receiver boxes on the model - top and bottom. I bought my model used and the batteries already had 'wear' spots on them from vibrating and knocking around inside the plastic enclosure. Who knows what could have happened to the failsafe in my model. The receiver seems to work fine.

One other item, I have forgotten to raise the antenna on my transmitter a few times and get glitching problems beyond about 30 feet. Raising the antenna fully gives me 'standard' range well over several hundred feet. I have never tried to see how far away I could drive my car before it was out of range but I have had it 400 - 500 feet away before turning around a few times.

Another thing that might help too, the previous owner of my Firehammer used the included trickle charger for the receiver packs. He claimed he didn't get more than 10 minutes of runtime before needing to swap out packs. I used a delta peak charger (Dynamite brand and an MRC Superbrain 959) and have gotten tremendously longer run times from the battery.

Good luck,
Ken