Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

CNC rear-ends thread?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 03:57 PM
randyg-rcu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNC rear-ends thread?

Eh? Where did the thread with the discussion of how much it would cost to make rear-ends go? I've been thinking of milling a rear end, and wanted to go back and re-read some bits of it, and now I can't bloody find it!

I've been trying to source spiral bevel gears, [edit]

--Randy
(who spent last night working on tool path generator algorithms... which is way, way too hard!)

SELLING:
All selling takes place in the RCU Marketplace which provides for free listings to non-commercial members for BOTH classifieds OR auctions. We have tools and features in our marketplace that no discussion forum can compare to. These tools help you to trade safely and more efficiently. So please use only the Marketplace to do your buying, selling and trading.

No auction, for sale or wanted posts in the forums please. No asking for bids or words that would lead the buyer to assume you are having an auction or classified ad. No ads linking to auctions or classified ads. No discussion forum posts linking to ads unless the information is answers a question being discussed. If you have an item for sale or auction elsewhere and are bound by their contract to fulfill the terms, please do not post the same item for sale at RCU. Raffles are only allowed with written permission from RCU management.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37.../tm.htm#377662
Old 07-31-2005, 05:55 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CNC rear-ends thread?

Randy, it got deleted like it should have. The gear sets are [Edit - Provide a Source]
Old 07-31-2005, 06:58 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

Ever see a horror movie? Remember the part near the end where everyone thinks the maniac killer is dead but then he jumps out of nowhere to kill once more? Well unfortunately i think that's exactly what this thread is. We thought this conversation was dead, but now the killer has jumped through the window to start killing again.....LOL
Old 07-31-2005, 07:57 PM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

As long as the resident nut aound here (we all know who he is) stays out of the thread, everything should remain civil and productive, but I have no doubt he'll show up to voice his ramblings...
Old 07-31-2005, 07:59 PM
snooptalian
My Feedback: (7)

Double post...Must have hit the ok button twice...
Old 08-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: randyg-rcu
Eh? Where did the thread with the discussion of how much it would cost to make rear-ends go?
I deleted the thread. The member who originally started that thread has only made one post on RCU and his question was simple as was his request--he wanted to know what tires/wheels to use for the back and requested photos of scratch builds. Nothing more. Hopefully, this thread won't get out of hand and draws as much attention as that other "deleted" thread.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:26 AM
original.mb

here we go again[X(]
Old 08-01-2005, 08:46 AM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: snooptalian

As long as the resident nut aound here (we all know who he is) stays out of the thread, everything should remain civil and productive, but I have no doubt he'll show up to voice his ramblings...
YOU compliment yourself real well KEEP IT UP.[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
OH WHERE OH WHERE HAVE THOSE CNC QC REAR END GONE FOR $250????????????????
OH WHERE OH WHERE HAVE THOSE CNC QC REAR END GONE FOR $250????????????????
NOWHERE
THEY DO NO EXIST FOR THAT PRICE.
I WANT IT NOW IN STOCK NOW NOT 2 month slater[:@] and never get it with not enough made to orders.(I see a middle man making profits again???)I see the PRICE fluctuating again???????????
This is why I make my own parts.
NO BS and ALL ACTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 07:31 PM
mbba2002
Banned

OH WHERE OH WHERE ARE THOSE CNC QC REAR ENDS FOR ?????CHEAP.
OH WHERE OH WHERE ARE THOSE CNC QC REAR ENDS FOR ????? CHEAP.

PROVIDE A SOURCE for PROOF NO ordering 50 pieces IN stock ONLY.
THIS IS WHY I MAKE MY OWN PARTS!!!!!!!
THE REAL TRUTH ALWAYS COMES OUT IN THE END.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:59 PM
jeepfreak1972

I think its time for you to put your big boy pants on and grow up.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Edit: *Nevermind*
Old 08-01-2005, 08:07 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

I believe it may be time for a vacation if you know what i mean.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:18 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

People, let's stick with posts that meet the posting guidelines. There's no need to be posting insults or petty bickering. We are all pseudo-adults here, aren't we? Let's use some decorum and not hide behind the anonymity the internet provides.

i8tweety
Car Forums Moderator
Old 08-01-2005, 08:31 PM
quarterscalelegends

Brad, why are you sooooo interested in the rears? I thought you could make them for sooo cheap? Even cheaper then $250?!? If you want them... put your money where your mouth is, and no you cant have them today but you could have them in 2 weeks if you like. If you prefer to pay air freight from china instead of just waiting for the boat. All it takes if 50pcs to get the ball rolling.

Just so everyone here is clear, I am in no way selling anything. Just simply passing on info of how much I have been able to source these parts for, instead of just telling everyone that "I make all my own stuff, you just need the right tools". [8D]
Old 08-01-2005, 08:35 PM
quarterscalelegends

Oh, even though I said in the last post that got deleted that I was not conducting free lessons anymore ( well for mbbaj anyway ) I will pass on this little tidbit so that this whole forum is not a total waste. The Raco gear boxes have the same spiral bevel gear as the skellengers. They do need light machining work but they will work and you can often find a Raco gear box for $50-$90!!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:25 AM
mbba2002
Banned

WHERE can you find a CNC QC rear end for $$$??? (Quoted PRICE BY XKNACX).
Provide sources and information.
Time is money. I would like them NOW.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:39 AM
quarterscalelegends

What about "I am not conducting any more free lessons" do you not understand. I would be happy to share the sources to anyone that is serious and has the money. I am not going to send wackos to people that I do real business with, thats the last thing I need. Like I said before, I dont think the basic CNC rears are that good looking and I know there is a better price on the gears out there so to spend 10,000 bucks for startup just does not sound like a good investment.

Time is money. I would like them NOW.
Obviously you have never dealt with over seas manufacturing.

Now do you have anything helpful to share other then you usual canned comments?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Apache-

Randyg:
What would be about the size desired of the OD of the spiral bevel gears needed and what gear ratio is prefered?
Would something with OD between 25..35mm do ok?
Old 08-02-2005, 11:53 AM
quarterscalelegends

If he is making his own housing then I am sure he could work around whatever although those sound really small. Are they 1/8 scale gears. The real issue would be what ratio they are and how thick are they so they would hold up. Interesting to see if they would work. I have wondered about finding a real beefy set of 1/8 scale gears, it may just work?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Apache-

Hi xknacx, well they are quite similair size to the normal bevel gears used in 1/5ths scale diffs and made for high revs and spiralized.
Are the spiral bevel gears in 1/4th scale much bigger than the ones used in 1/5th or 1/6th?
In 1/8th it will never fit, way to large.
ratio is 1:1
A beefy 1/8th gear is to weak and won't last long I think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60257.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	304706  
Old 08-02-2005, 01:24 PM
quarterscalelegends

I kinda think they would be too weak also but if you could find some that were thick enough they may work? 3.64 is the ratio needed also or close. The spiral bevel gears in skellenger, raco, new era etc... are about 3" inches or so ( I cant remember off the top of my head ) for the main gear and the pinion is much smaller. here is a blown up diagram of the basic idea of the QC.

Name:	Tr49241.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	304713  
Old 08-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Apache-

Well I do not know how strong they are exactly but the ones I have here have module 1.5 and should be able to absorb quite some torque, that would be a matter of trial and hopefully no error.
An OD of 3" you mention is indeed a lot bigger than those, however it does not mean they are stronger. This mainly depends on theeth length/effective running length and the module. The ratio needed you describe is different so these are anyway useless for the purpose.[]
Well it was worth a try anyway.
Special production would be I gues much too expensive unless you need a lot of them, I see only the option to use something which already excists that comes near the original ones and addept the rest of the parts to make it fit. But the picture you uploaded is a high-tech part and consists of many parts. This will be expensive and taking lots of time to put something similair together, you will need detailed data also to source some good parts.

BTW nice picture [sm=thumbup.gif] to see how these were build, though I need to take a look on it twice or maybe three times before I will understand its full functioning, nice piece of engineering!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Off the topic of a CNC rear....... What about sand-mould, or investment casting for the case? Once you get a good design, Aluminum is realatively easy to cast, you could have a rather detailed, realistic scale design with out quite the expense of a CNC set-up. The gearing is still the question though. You could do a cast gear set too (steel of course) ... but that would take prescision moulding and machining only raising the cost.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:45 PM
quarterscalelegends

Acs, you hit the nail on the head. My opinion is that for a QC rear end to sell well again it would take a nice cast part. The problem is "Investment casting" is the best and also most expensive way to go. Quotes on the casting its self are in the 16k range for all 4 parts needed to make the casing. I have a master for a raco gear box replacement that is sweeeeeet but those rears bolt right up to the engine and if you use a driveshaft they just dont look so great.

Name:	Bz77034.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	304831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89781.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	304832  
Old 08-02-2005, 06:48 PM
quarterscalelegends

one more pic

Name:	Us53861.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	304835  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.