Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Painting the MB shell

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Silver_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the MB shell

Hi all,
I have just purchased my MB. Hopefully pick it up on Wednesday from my LHS.
There is a problem though..... I've got to paint my shell and I've never painted a shell before. I was thinking of sending the shell off to a proffesional painter but it is going to cost too much and I want to use the body for bashing anyway. So I have been thinking of doing it myself, nothing too over the top though just one plain colour and some stripe or tribal theme down the side.
I will be using rattle cans as well. So just a few questions,

-What are some good makes of rattle can paints?
-How many would I need?
-Do I need some backing paint as well?

I'm either going to get internal decals or paint masks from somebody like xxxmain.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Mad Wax

Default RE: Painting the MB shell

I used Tamiya primary colours- I used two 150ml cans, but could've done one more- so..
use 3 cans 150ml
I would put backing where any rubbing is going to happen after finished the body, I've noticed paint has worn through where spoiler mountings touch the spoiler underside. Use rubber washers to raise the body off touching parts. Probably use another can of paint later to touch up worn areas and give thicker coat. You could apply that rubber solution after all coats to give it a flexible protective anti-scratch resistance.

As long as you spent time double checking window mashing is flat with no folds or seams in the tape, it's pretty easy. Give it a proper wash with white spirit and washing up liquid (I find white spirit removes some residue, washing up some others) so this "double clean" gets rid of everything.

Don't allow the can to go near empty (splutters near the end) Allow at least 4 hours per coat to dry.

Thin coats, wear solvent protective air filter mask, goggles/protective glasses, in a clean, still air (don't spray outside) with ventilation.

Search for "pictures" under my username. That was my first large scale spray poly attempt.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:27 AM
zafiragsi

When I paint the inside of a poly body I too wash the inside of the body but then get some very fine wet and dry paper (1000) grit and scuff the inside untill you can no longer see through it. This may seem very drastic and not the thing to do to a brand new body but it helps the paint stick. The enclosed pic was done in exactly this way.

Ade

PS This was also painted using Tamiya spray cans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46437.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	306733  
Old 08-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Silver_

Thanks,
Looking on "models in motion" website there are many paints, but I gather the one I need to go for are the 'polycarbonate' paints. Also they are only 100ml.
Heres a link http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/prod...82&tamiya=273#

Are these the ones I need??[sm=confused.gif]
Old 08-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Mad Wax

Yeah those are the right ones, mixed up can size (they were 100ml) I used two of those cans (PS2 Red)
Old 08-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Silver_

Ok,
I think I am going to use some decals from rapidrooster and then paint the whole body in PS-12 Silver, I need three cans of this and how many cans of backing colour?
Also do I use PS-1 White or is it better to use PS-5 Black??
Also where can I get something that will completely protect the inside, something like a laceur if you know what I mean.
Thanks