Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Traxxas Monster Buggy Shock Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas Monster Buggy Shock Mod

I've done this little Mod to the rear shocks of my Traxxas Monster Buggy and it stopped the rear shock shafts from bending like they do when stock. They also actually perform like a shock should now, unlike they do when stock. Hopefully someone can use it. I'd say the position you drill your new hole would depend on how good your shocks are yet..fluid you have them filled with and the spring rates, I run 2 spring spacers on mine and have a sort of softer setup for loose dirt and rougher terrain. I'm also running the crazynut 23mm adapters...40 series moabs on proline rims....makes it wide as heck and less likely to roll over...You can also run Firehammer hexes or FG's and use stock Firehammer or FG Wheels on these. I'm using a firehammer air filter which required some fuel tank modification to get to fit...I'm working on a new chassis to lengthen it by 12" and add a larger engine(40cc).

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67364.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	308439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39750.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	308440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38080.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	308441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42259.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	308442  
Old 08-10-2005, 05:28 PM
wl6
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Traxxas Monster Buggy Shock Mod

Thanks Badz, just what I was looking for.

Any mods to buggy using the 23mm adapters and the 40 series wheels?

Its nice to see a thread on the traxxas MB.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:44 PM
wl6

Hi badz, I found the crazynut 23mm adapters, and you also mention the firehammer hexes. Do I need both, besides the rims and tires to complete the modification? Just need to know so I know how much money to hit the wife up for the "toy". lol

Please take photos of work in progress if you do extend chassis 12" and add a 40 cc motor. You have my attention!!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:50 PM
badz

No you only need the wheel adapter...sorry I mentioned the hexes by mistake...I used the Firehammer hexes to run their wheels also on my MB...I got my adapters locally for $55 my wheels I think where like $25/pair and the moabs where $30/pair...you can use the smaller adapters and use like T-Maxx wheels however I dunno how well they'll hold up they aren't very strong wheels.....and actually between cost of wheels/tires and adapters....you might be able to grab a set of FG Truck tires for around same cost or maybe a little more then all you'd need is the hexes.

I'm still tossing the 40cc idea around the fabrication part is cake for me I'm a aircraft sheet metal worker lol...I seen a few guys at the local flying field flying with them Honda 4 Strokes....one was a 31cc and it had some awesome torque and sounded like a little harley...so I may go that way it's a cheaper engine too and the torque could be great for hill climbing plus it'd easily take the heavier chassis and maybe some larger wheels like some 12" paddles
Old 08-11-2005, 11:17 AM
wl6

I can get the 23mm adapters, but do I need them for a firehammer? Or the adapters for the revo, savage the ones to use? I have no clue!!!!
My local LHS carries adapters and 40 series rim/tires for the savage, revo, and tmaxx. I like to support my LHS when I can. You mentioned the tmaxx,savage 40 series rims are not up to the durabilty of the FG brand, thats OK as I wont be bashing to much with a 23lb buggy. I am really looking for the stablilty of the wide stance.
Once I get the adapters installed, will all 40 series rim/tire combo work, or is there some clearance issues with some wheels?

I like the proline rims you have, the mud cannot cake in the rims and make an unbalanced wheel wobble.

And keep us updated with the monster with 12" paddles on it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:33 PM
badz

I'd say get the adapters that are 23mm hexes........you'd need the adapters, new wheels(23mm hexes) and 40 series tires and some glue to glue the tires on and your set...you don't want the adapters to make large scale wheels fit 1/10th scale thats the backwards one.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:01 PM
wl6

Thanks for the info. I will be able to see what my options are when I get to the LHS.

I think what I will do is take the buggy into the lhs when I buy the stuff, that way I know the adapters will work.

Unfortunately, it will be a week or more before I can get to the lhs. Our house is being remediated for mold thanks to Hurricane Charley last August. So we are living with our son. Oh what fun it is to live out of a suitcase.