Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Fly screen Bigfoot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:48 AM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly screen Bigfoot?

2 hours away and look what happened to my Smartech Bigfoot MT - lol

A friend has (what he thought) a clever idea to keep debris away from the chassis by wrapping a flexible (plastic) fly screen around the car and securing it with the three screws which mount the side dirt guards on each side. He covered pretty much everything but the front end in front of the steering rack, the exhaust pipe and the rear end. His theory was it keeps ventilation but also keeps the debris out.

I wonder if it will do more harm than good? [&:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36374.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	316244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36483.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	316245  
Old 08-28-2005, 08:12 AM
turnell

Default RE: Fly screen Bigfoot?

by the looks of it, its quite a good idea. WOT the material he's used?
Old 08-28-2005, 08:18 AM
madgti

just hope that stuff doesn't melt, and if it doesn't melt lets hope the screen itself doesn't get so hot it melts plastic pieces it is touching.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Mad Wax

Definitely lose airflow speed over the engine, and I would seriously consider cutting airflow holes in some of your windows.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Automan

Looks like it's made of plastic, and if so it wont work at all. After driving for a few minutes hard it will melt around the engine and pipe for example, anyways... i wouldn't use something like that, the ventilation will be much worse, overall... it probably isn't so good idea. Hey, it's just my personal opinion The thought was in the right direction, but use a different material, and don't close everything inside it.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:35 PM
gonsped69

I agree with the plastic might have a high chance of melting. But since he took some effort in installing it, I thought I may as well give it a chance to perform

I'd have to disagree with your point in ventilation Automan. When I was breaking in the motor, even on idle, that engine fan pushes a tremendous amount of air through the engine. A flyscreen isn't going to hamper a suction that powerful. But only time will tell once I have time to test it this coming weekend

Madwax - the engines in large scale is 90%+ cooled with the rotor fan. However fast you are driving your car, there is no way you can achieve the same air flowrate around the engine as what the rotor fan can give. If you let the engine on idle, feel the force of the air the rotor fan pushes around the engine - its quite powerful

With regards to heat, with exception to the pipe outlet which he fortunately trimmed generous material off around it, the engine doesn't produce enough heat anywhere around the rollbar area. It would be warm at most - at least based on my experience.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Automan

You're probably right gonespeed69. I don't know.... the engine do suck in alot of air at the side (pull-start area) and pushes it up and it blows over the fins and out, maybe a net over the top will not let the warm air go away as smooth... but it don't think it will suffer that much
The main thing is that the warm air could melt that plastic, and just as easy around the tunepipe area. My Samba pipe gets rather hot when i drive, so i will need to make a heat protector for the receiver box (it's place quite close to the tunepipe ), as I'm afraid the warmth can effect the receiver and the signal (as we all know, electrics don't like warmth or water etc )

But good luck with that setup gonespeed69, i hope it works out fine for you [sm=thumbup.gif] Keep us posted.

I have personally thought of asking my mom if she could make a jacket for my bigfoot, that i just click on the chassis when i go dive in the mud Need some material for that jacket... not Kevlar, thats not necessary just yet but i will probably have something like that done, would be nice to have.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:33 PM
hellya

I got me a winter coat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41288.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	316470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88836.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	316471  
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what we need?!! An inner body set, similar to those they used to make for 1:10 scale electric cars. They usually have helmeted drivers, who's heads show through the car windows..................do you know what I mean?

Anyway, those would be way too small for an FG, but I know that there are guys on this forum who have access to body pressing machines. [&:] Maybe I could make one by creating a mold and then lining it with fiberglass. It would not have to be clear like a body, or even paintable. It would simply be a dirt guard that fits against the roll cage, over the electronics, and inside the side rails. Come to think of it, the side rails have holes in them that could be used for mounting points. Plus, it could also have holes where the body posts are, and the posts could go through the cover, for added stability.

Hmmmmmmmmm................I'm not as crafty as most of the guys on RCU, but I may have to give this idea a try. Then, I will market them and make millions! [sm=greedy.gif]
Attached Images   
Old 08-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Automan

That looks real nice hellya [sm=thumbup.gif]
I think mine is going to be something like that, but different Maybe do the same as they did in the movie Dumb & Dumber LOL

Edit: Go for it icecreamslick !!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:23 PM
gonsped69

Actually, FG have made those "dirt guards" for its beetle and pajero line of 1/6 offroad vehicles. I don't have the FG Catalog with me (at work) right now but you can see from the photos.

Unfortunately, something that should cost somewhere in the <U$50 range but if I may recall, its somewhere in the U$100-150 range. Ludicrous pricing since its not exactly paintable and its purpose is fairly simple.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:11 AM
Automan

I didn't think of that, will check in my fg catalog when i get home.. would be fun to see how much they want for it Not that I'm going to get one, just funny to see the price-tag

gonsped69, it better to make your own.. don't you think so [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 08-29-2005, 05:35 AM
gonsped69

I just checked the FG 2004 Catalog (p21) and our local retail price and it is the FG #06213 @ AU$173.00 - mind you that is approx. U$130 but since prices in the USA is a little cheaper, I'd guess around the low U$100 mark.

So yes....if you want a shield, make your own (unless you don't mind spending a Benjamin for it)
Old 08-29-2005, 06:23 AM
Automan

I don't mind the cost really (but some prices out there are real funny to look at ).
It's just that sometimes you just don't want it the way some manufacturer design them. Thats when i pick up my dremmel and sledgehammer get to work
Old 08-29-2005, 10:31 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think all that fly screen will do, is make the dirt a very fine like talcum powder all over the vehicle!

BTW, stop being sissies about the dirt already!
Old 08-29-2005, 04:08 PM
gonsped69

I agree there Kmot, but at the moment, I'm running it in the park and mostly over grass and its flower beds so I am getting considerable amount of debris, mostly grass blades lodging itself inside the rotor housing and the engine cylinder.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:46 PM
icecreamslick

[X(] All right, Kmot. When I come up with a really cool dirt guard and everyone else on this forum has one, you're gonna say, "Icecreamslick, come on man, let me get one of those dirt guards, man. What do you say, man? Give me a break...I was wrong. I'm so sorry, for calling you a sissy, dude". []

I'm gonna say NO! You will just have to drive a dirty truck!
Old 08-29-2005, 09:35 PM
icecreamslick

I KNOW!!! We can all but Marder buggy bodies, tuck them in the chassis side guards, and put MB shells over the tops...
Old 09-05-2005, 11:52 PM
gonsped69

I managed to try the flyscreen setup on a very very dusty, soily, dry, soft ground (not sand). To get some idea of how dusty it is after 3 feet away from me, I cannot see the truck at all due to the dust cloud

I ran with the body off and and exposed the whole chassis to the elements and found that even with the flyscreen resting upon the exhaust, it did not melt! I was surprised as only dirt + oil from the exhaust were deposited on the nearby area.

Nothing tore during the trial but as KMot mentioned, there were a number of places where there were deposits of very fine talc like dirt. No stones, or anything came in which meant it did its job

One factor that was annoying was the fact that such fine dirt accumulated at the starter ratchet which binded the plastic part that pops out when you pull the starter cord where it bites onto the rotor fan. I believe a good dose of powdered graphite will put a stop to this in the future.

I recall automan mentioned something with regards to a jacket for the Bigfoot. I do recall way back in the days of kite flying when I was little, we used and stitched ripstop nylons. Tough as nails they are, waterproof and you can even sew in a zipper line somewhere for access convenience
Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 AM
original.mb

very clever, simple idea i like the idea but the material might need a re-think??

it looks like someone went fishing and caught one very big catch
Old 09-06-2005, 06:45 PM
icecreamslick

After reading this thread, I ordered some of the ripstop nylon. I think I will try to make a zip-up bag to mount inside the chassis and up over everything that is riding on it.

Hopefully, I will be able to strip the chassis and reinstall everything on top of the nylon. Then, I should be able to zip it and unzip it as needed. [8D]

It sounds good.

I will show and tell when I come up with something cool, or else I will conveniently forget about writing this post and pretend that the whole fiasco NEVER HAPPENED.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:51 PM
gonsped69

I was a little curious if this flyscreen mesh (or some other meshy material) can be sewn with the ripstop nylon as you'll need some ventilation for the fast airflow coming from the rotor fan and also for the exhaust pipe to exit from.

Another idea for quick removal would be to (somehow) stick one side of a velcro underneath the chassis on each side and have the fabric wrapped around the rollcage. So any servicing/adjusting needed would be instant.