Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

KINDA new to RC... 1/8 nitro or large scale gas???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

KINDA new to RC... 1/8 nitro or large scale gas???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Deanwvu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KINDA new to RC... 1/8 nitro or large scale gas???

I said KINDA new, so I will explain....

I purchased a kit similar to this one about 5 years ago:

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products...orce_dr-e.html

I put it together, ran it alot. But, I started a new career, moved away from home (where there was a ton of great places to run it), and really didnt use it anymore. Basically sat in storage. I moved to Arlington, VA, and though I really didnt try to find a good place to run the truck, I just assumed it a lost cause. Now I've bought a house, moved a bit out in the suburbs, I'd like to pick the hobby back up again. There is a nive RC hobby shop nearby, and they even meet on Sundays to run at a local BMX track. I went there tonight (without my truck, purely observing) and it looked like a BLAST!! Definitely getting back into things ASAP!!

Anyway, backstory over... For now, I am working on getting my truck running again. Its very dirty, and there are some drivetrain issues-looking into that right now. I will run it the rest of this year till winter. For next year, I am looking to buy a new buggy/truck, but I am torn over which scale to buy. Basically, should I go for the BIG scale buggies (1/6 or 1/5, etc) that are gasoline run?? Or, should I buy another nitro-powered buggy? I definitely want to go buggy, as I already have a MT. I am looking for something that is lower to the ground and not so "clumsy" while cornering--something that will really hug turns without rolling. Looking also to move up in power to a .21 or bigger--do they make bigger??

The bigger scale models look like a lot of fun too. But, i have never seen one run in-person--only videos online. Are they as responsive as the 1/8 scale? I worry that all that weight will only lend itself to a "clunky" feel--that perhaps the extra power generated by the 23-29cc gas motor will be negated by the extra weight of the big buggy??

Thats basically my dilemma. Not huge, since I wont be buying anything till at least January, but I was hoping to have a firm decision by then, so I thought I'd ask you guys!

So, whatya think? Higher power nitro buggy? Or big scale gas-powered??

Especially looking for responses from those that have both!!!

Thank you!

BTW, am looking for OFF-ROAD only please!!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 PM
fourwheeler

Default RE: KINDA new to RC... 1/8 nitro or large scale gas???

Ok well I have both so maybe I can help you out. From your post and your concern with cornering ability am I right to assume you want to race? If so you can get a gfood buggy but a .21 is all that is legal in most places. As far as a bigger nitro engine goes there are a couple of .32's out now.

As far as which to choose either a 1/8th nitro or 1/6th gas, I think if your budget allows then the gas rigs are the way to go. They are very responsive and a ton easier to get running.

But the choice is yours, BTW, will the other guys mind if you run them over???
Old 08-28-2005, 07:40 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plan to jump a good deal at the local track and want a corner-hugging, responsive buggy, stick to 1:8 scale (I have a Kyosho Inferno). They are 4WD, low-slung, and they absolutely sail through big-air jumps and tight corners. [8D]

If you want something big, powerful and perfect for tearing through fields, buy a 1:6 scale buggy. They are RWD only, so they seem to push through the turns rather than pulling through them. Plus, they are not really made for big jumps. [sm=pirate.gif]

If money is a factor at all, you can put $800.00 into an 8th scale buggy and be very happy. The 6th scales cost a good deal more. $800.00 will not get you very far in 1:6 scale...you will also need buy a radio/receiver, servos, etc. and make several upgrades, unless you go with a Firehammer, Carson, or Smartech (which is a whole nuther can-o-worms ).

Good Luck!
Old 08-28-2005, 08:53 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler
From your post and your concern with cornering ability am I right to assume you want to race?
If you do plan on racing then definately go with the 1/8 scale. There are very few places (in the usa) that have a class for 1/6 scale, while just about every offroad r/c track has a 1/8 scale buggy class.

If you are just looking to "bash" then i'd suggest going with a 1/6 scale. The combination of the size and torque makes them a complete blast to run. Trust me you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Deanwvu

Thanks for the information guys!!

So far I am leaning towards the nitro 1/8 buggies. I am hoping that I will get to see one of the big scale boys in action at the BMX track sometime this year. Then I will truly know, I think!

The .32 nitro engine--is that available in a kit with a buggy? Or aftermarket only?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:05 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

If your going to seriously abuse and bash it at a bmx track i'd pick up a savage...the stadium buggies aren't real tough on higher jumps...they are fine on smaller high speed type jumps but those large ones over 12'+ smash them up pretty good...there's some pics posted here of a guy with his FG MT running on a bmx type track and he's getting some serious air...[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2934053/tm.htm]FG MT in Action[/link]
Old 08-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Around here it is basically the same,
[ul][*] If you want to race --> 1/8th scale buggy (or some other nitro anyway) and[*] If you want to just run off road by yourself without a track --> Large Scale,[*] But at least, there is also a 1/4 scale on-road track near here too (which is next to 1/8th scale off-road dirt track).
[/ul]
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 AM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

Actually Icecreamslick, $800 will buy you a Traveller + entry level radio gear from Tower. All you'd need are 2-stroke petrol + batteries and you're off

Mind you, it IS entry level in terms of radio equipment, the buggy isn't low performance by any means.

Compared to nitro scene:

* Engine upgrades are cheaper than nitro
* Engine tuning is can be almost non-existant after break-in
* You need to try quite hard to even blow up (overrev) a large scale gas engine (you can blow up a nitro motor in a minute )
* fuel is considerably cheaper than nitro - available to purchase 24x7
* engine maintenance is practically non-existant (no after run oil, no draining fuel tank after a days run)
* no starter equipment needed (no starter box, no glow plug drivers to worry about)
* the 1/6 offroad (1/5 is onroad only) vehicles are almost bulletproof and will withstand much greater forces than nitro buggies - to within reasonable limits, i.e. not crashing full speed to a brick wall

Over a certain period of time (i.e. 1 year), most noticeable in racing conditions, you'll notice your total cost of ownership with a large scale is considerably cheaper than nitro.

The initial investment is obviously largely different but if you want less hassle, more fun + bigger size - there is NOTHING than can substitute for large scale gasoline. It is a more of a set and forget machine compared to the endless tuning and finesse that goes with nitro.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:08 AM
HeatFire

wow that's why i bought one.. (well still waiting to get it from germany)
and the torque gasoline engines are fun
but still if you wanna race the 1:8 nitro buggy are the best choice..
Old 08-29-2005, 07:41 AM
fourwheeler

ORIGINAL: Deanwvu

Thanks for the information guys!!

So far I am leaning towards the nitro 1/8 buggies. I am hoping that I will get to see one of the big scale boys in action at the BMX track sometime this year. Then I will truly know, I think!

The .32 nitro engine--is that available in a kit with a buggy? Or aftermarket only?

Thanks!

The 32's are only available aftermarket right now. But I would imagine sooner or later you will begin to see some MT's with one.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Deanwvu

What is the Traveller? I do not see it at Tower...

Old 08-29-2005, 07:42 PM
badz

The Traveller is a clone of the firehammer except it's got a cheap air filter comes without servo's and radio gear....tower doesn't sell it.
Traveller is basically same as the XTM 1/6th scale.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:44 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

This is not a promotion but I do sell the Traveller (not allowed to display pricing - forum rules ) and if you live in the USA, you can buy an entry level "1/4 scale" Tower brand (Futaba made) radio system for around U$75 which should bring the total to ~U$800

The Smartech Traveller is rebranded to the following brand/models:

* Carson Attack 1/6
* XTM 1/6 buggy
* Duratrax Firehammer 1/6

Documentation and spare parts are readily available from Tower Hobbies for the Firehammer and all these kit variations are 100% exchangeable in terms of spare parts.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:21 AM
JQuest64

Deanwvu, my situation was very similar to yours.

I left the hobby for a while after having run a T-Maxx for quite some time. I missed it and started to get mt T back into running shape. I then bought my son a Revo so we could run together.
I quickly realized my T was not doing it for me. I went out and bought a Savage 25, my love for the hobby was quickly reborn. I love that truck.
For me however, I am a MT nut. Not too long after getting the Savage, I wanted more, so I put an Ofna/Picco 27 into the Savage and that calmed the need for a while.
Then I saw the FG MT in my LHS, and it really peaked my interest.
I found myself in the same predicament as you, the unknown. Would a 1/6 scale suit me, and at the price I did not want to just run out and buy one on a whim.
After searching message boards, and talking with some Hobby shop guys, I decided to go for it. I have no regrets what so ever, in fact I wished I made the jump sooner.
While not quite as nimble as a 1/10-1/8 scale, nor can they take the hard pounding that scale can, there is no denying that the experience you get from driving one of these larger vehicles is second to none. They are actually a lot stronger then I thought they would be, and the experience is much closer to realism then anything I ever drove by a radio before. I find myself actually thinking through what I am attempting to do. Jump angles, speed and trajectory all need to be taken into consideration as you launch a 30 pound, $1,200 vehicle into the air. I cannot speak on the other vehicles in the scale, but the MT in flight is a sight to behold, the size of something like this leaving the ground and being so graceful in flight is simply mind blowing.
Will I get rid of my smaller scales? Not a chance, they still have a place in my hobby needs.
Will they see the amount of running that they used to? No way, they quickly took a backseat to the MT.

My advice to you? Think it through very well. If you really want one of these larger vehicles, purchasing something else will not make that desire go away, and will only set you back from getting one. If you have the ability to purchase one of these larger scales, and love the hobby, you simply have to go for it.
I did and have absolutely no regrets.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:33 AM
SELWA

I'v been in the hobby for about 20 years and have had electric and nitro. Sold what I had once I bought a FG. The money was great for some mods to the buggy!!

I've tried the MB, MT and the Marder. I have all the parts to switch the car around. It' so much easier putting the cash in one vehicle that several. I've never kept things stock. That's part of the fun!! Do the reaseach. "See" before you buy and shop around. If you're the type to modify buy sstock and then go crazy. If you get a FG there are a lot more choices out there for replacement and aftermarket parts.

Sure having Nitros was great but A few pulls and having it run for 40 minutes for less that $1.00 is much better!!! Not to mention you get more of a crowd. The other nice thing is that there's no too much people do with the engines since there are only a few out there. With nitros they seem to always change over the years.

Also make sure you can get replacement parts easily too!!

Hope this helps and not confuses you more!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: badz

The Traveller is a clone of the firehammer except it's got a cheap air filter comes without servo's and radio gear....tower doesn't sell it.
Traveller is basically same as the XTM 1/6th scale.
Below is the Tower Hobbies link to the XTM 1/7th scale NITRO buggy. I just wonder if Tower will be selling the larger XTM 1/6th scale like Hobby People soon as well.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJSU1&P=ML
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146300.asp
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Deanwvu

Thank you all for the advice.

I am sure, over the years, that I will purchase both a 1/6 gasoline and a 1/8 nitro. Both appeal to me in their own ways.

My dilemma, then, would be which to buy first, and your advice has helped a ton. I have leaned both ways over the last few days. Right now I am thinking 1/6 gasonline is the way to go, just from the ease of dealing with the engine. I was worried about how to handle the beast, being that they are so heavy. I can see myself damaging it in my mind already!! But, I will learn the limits of the machine, hopefully without breaking too many of the more expensive parts!!!

My January pay raise will determine how much $$$ I get to spend on this thing . Lets hope its significant and the DOD likes us!!

Dean