Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Collari Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 01:27 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collari Brakes?

Has anyone tried the Collari brakes/uprights? Wil they work on a leopard. I am considering them because the kpd brakes are about $300 in this USA plus the alloy uprights are $100. Collari brakes are $447 and include both pieces so for an extra $47 per axle why not have the holy grail of brakes? The Leopard is slated to become the F1 destroyer. Opinions please.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
chevyman_de

Default RE: Collari Brakes?

The Collari brake is a beautifully machined piece, but it has a problem as well. It shares this problem with some other hydros that have a closed system without a reservoir/expansion chamber. When the brake fluid temperature raises, the fluid will expand, causing the brake to self-apply. Therefore you have to have a few small air bubbles inside the system when you're going to drive at high ambient temperatures for an extended time.
The 4-piston Lauterbacher hydro had the same problem with their first version of the master brake cylinders. The current one has a reservoir now. Maybe sometime Collari will bring a different version as well, but I don't know. Connecting the master cylinders for front and rear with a silicone hose could also do the job, but the necessary machining is a precision job.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:13 PM
radio_controlled_mad

Default RE: Collari Brakes?

$300 is about right for kpd brakes - there uk company and cost £150 + £50 for alloy uprights.collari brakes look good but was intresting to read last post about the piston self applying due to no resevoir otherwise $447 sounded good deal as the ally hubs are part of the unit.i have 2 sets of fg magura on my marder and cant fault them - cost around £230 set in uk but can get them delivered from germany for about £150 per set - not sure how much they are in the usa.before buying make sure the vendor can easily get parts such as pads and other bits and pieces as hydro need constant servicing compared with cable brakes - ive seen alot of aftermarket hydro brakes lately that seem alot cheaper but the sites there on dont seem to sell replacement parts,bleeding kits ect or even have part numbers incase you do need them.so what seems cheap at the time could cost you a small fortune.