Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Parts numbers of alu diffs for FG

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Parts numbers of alu diffs for FG

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:29 AM
StefanL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts numbers of alu diffs for FG

I´m looking to upgrade my standard FG plastic diff to an alu one, non-adjusting.

I want to buy the alu housing alone, I have everything else so I don´t need the conversion kit...

I´m wondering about the part number I need, on rc-car-online the alu diff housing is 8486. What confuses me is that there is an alu diff housing for 1:5/1:6 that is labeled 8486/01!

What´s the difference, FG only makes 1:5 and 1:6 cars, so what is the other one for?

I just want to get it right when I order.

Stefan
Old 10-24-2005, 10:58 AM
radio_controlled_mad

Default RE: Parts numbers of alu diffs for FG

i read in another post one of the marder clone companys are brining a blue alloy diff houseing out for $50 - alot chaeaper and better looking than the fg one - im sure it is tower hobbies that are stocking them.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Those housing have been on back order at Tower Hobbies for 6 months or more. Every month they say "later this month". The month ends without parts and they update the message to (next month) "later this month".

Ken
Old 10-24-2005, 11:05 AM
radio_controlled_mad

soon as they get them in stock they will be out of stock more or less straight away - looking at the pics they aint bad for $50
Old 10-24-2005, 11:15 AM
kengentry5000

The only thing I don't like about the case is it looks like cast aluminum not forged. This means it has strength to a point.

Oh well, for $50 what can you expect? Maybe it will be enough and worth the money.

Ken
Old 10-24-2005, 02:20 PM
StefanL

I´ve been giving this some serious thought and it looks like I am going with the adjustable alu diff conversion instead.

Not so many more $$$ but better in the long run. One contributing factor was also that I´ve found out that I would need a full alu conversion kit instead of just the alu housing. That is because the alu diffs use ball bearings with a bigger inner diameter, so I wouldn´t be able to use my old ones.

The difference between an alu conversion kit and an adjustable alu conversion kit is not much so an adjustable it will be.

Stefan
Old 10-24-2005, 02:26 PM
kengentry5000

Hope you have better luck in Europe than I am having in the US. All the FG dealers I have spoken with are out of the 2-way diff (8485/05 and 8500/05) and can't give me an idea when more will come.

Guess I'll just have to stare at my immobile car for another week or two while the dealer that has my order can try to get diff.

Good luck on getting your new diff. Will you be getting the standard alum diff, 2-way manual adjustable or self locking diff?

Ken
Old 10-24-2005, 03:43 PM
StefanL

I am going for the two-way adjustable, not the self locking diff 8500/05.

I was just about to order, but saw that FG says in the catalog that the adjustable diff 08485/05 is for 1:5 cars and trucks...not the Marder or Beetle. Is that because the diff doesn´t clear the chassis or something, with the center portion of the tube being of greater diameter? In that case I can mill out a slot for it, I saw someone with I think a Beetle who did that, can´t remember who though.

Or is there something else that makes it impossible to fit to my Marder?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:48 PM
kengentry5000

FG sells a riser block for the rear bulkheads to solve the problem. You can also make your own riser blocks. I made some that are about 10mm tall from a plastic kitchen cutting board my wife was throwing away. There is no other known reason the 8485/05 or 8500/05 would not work. I have the 8500/05 on order right now for my Firehammer.

Ken
Old 10-24-2005, 03:55 PM
radio_controlled_mad

i have just fitted 8500 diff (2 way self locking) to my marder race - the fg 04 catalogue says it is for all models inc buggys
Old 10-24-2005, 04:20 PM
hellya

I dont want to start a stampeed StefanL is this what your looking for

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FG-ALLOY-DIFF-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-24-2005, 04:33 PM
JRexA

You should be looking for the FG# 8484 Alloy diff conversion kit.

You can get it at [link=http://www.rc-car-online.de]Hobbythek [/link] for € 58,60 or at [link=http://www.krikke.net]Krikke [/link] for € 57,50 + shipping.

For those outside the EU I will primarily recommend Krikke, as He is willing to sell without VAT, and then the price is only € 48,32

Hobbythek has more in stock and if speed is essential then they get my mark.

Those prices was checked as of today, Oct. 24'th 2005