Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 5b Frenzy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 AM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 5b Frenzy

So, as I am going to be Buying a gas RC in the next few weeks here, I am starting to pull what I have left of my hair out because I just cant seem to decide firmly on what I want.

1st theres the clones, smartech Bigfoot, looks alot like the FG, some of the parts fit, and its cheap..Money wise cheap, Im also asuming its CHEAP..lol I think ya get my drift. So money wise its a good thing, but worth the money?

2nd is the FG models themselves, alittle more $$ but im betting you get the Value of it more then the clones. Nowhere here supports FG, so its all internet ordering for me. Most people say stay away from the FG MT, its not worth it, the leopard is alot better bang for the buck...however the leopard is a big BUCK..lol Very $$$

3rd is the Baja 5b, seeing the videos just lastnight, and reading a ton about it. Got me to switch gears alittle. I have always likes the MT's, and never really found a liking in the way a buggy looks, UNTIL I saw this thing and the way it seemed to handle..WOW.. My Conern about the Baja, is...Think it will bash very well? I dont race and dont even think in our City they have Gas offroad races.
For the money the Baja seems to be way out in front of any other Gas RC...Offroad. Would be correct in asuming this?
Do you think they will have enough part support and replacement parts? Ya know, a DIFFERENT set of tires... and so on. Not just replacements but also UPGRADES, I havent yet read anything on that.

Anyhow, I think I may have answered Question, but I kind of wanted some other opinions..
Talk to me about this..Plz
Old 04-06-2006, 09:33 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Baja 5b Frenzy

take a number the baja isn't even out yet
Old 04-06-2006, 09:35 AM
D0G

Ya, I know that, another month, but im trying to decide if I should wait, and pre-order it.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:46 AM
SELWA

I would wait until a month of it coming out so all who have pre-ordered it can really test it out. With anything new you never know. It depends how much you want to spend and how long you can wait for it.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:47 AM
edge540ts

Well, seeing all of the adds for the b5 got me interested on gassers. I actually ordered one, then cancelled my order and bought a monster beetle. I got to thinking where I was going to run the thing and the type of driving I was going to be doing. I was not going to be racing on a smooth track or on sand. It would be used for general bashing, jumping, hill climbs, and very rough off road. After looking at the b5 more closely and watching the videos, it was not going to be what I wanted. I needed something with proven durability, large wheels, available parts and hop ups. Now that I have my beetle, I countn't be happier. It does what I wanted and much more. I didn't realizejust how powerful they really are. That is not to say that if a track opened or a racing curcuit open I would not buy a b5. I would buy it in a heart beat. I may even buy one anyway (after some consumer testing- I wont be a guinee pig) but I wouldn't think of selling my mb. Plus, my mb turned out to be less expensive that the b5 because I didn't need a radio, battery, charger, throttle servo, ext.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:05 AM
SELWA

If you want a FG and don't want to spend a lot fine a used one and then modify it. My Leopard Race cost me $950 with front alloy uprights and front Tunning brakes. If I was to buy this in the store it would cost at least $2000. Now for the mods I bought for it totaling around $2200 (includes the price of the car) I will have a beast.

Here's what I bought:
Carbon Firbre Tray
Whole front end is Elcon/Krikke Red Aluminum
Whole rear end is Krikke Red Aluminum (arms/diff holder/shock tower)
FG aluminum gear carrier plate
Samba Leopard Pipe
805 Servo
2 - 5645 servos

Pics will be up as soon as the rest of the stuff comes in!!!

If you are the type to mod a buggy/car getting a used one is a great option!! I've bought 3 used ones off the same guy ( no he has no more ot sell)
Old 04-06-2006, 10:10 AM
amitysanimal

I agree with edge540ts, if you want a backyard basher, you will want something with bigger tires/more ground clearance. I too want the HPI buggy, but it is designed to be run on flatter surfaces. I'm not saying the HPI can't be run on rough surfaces, but it surely will get stuck more than an MB or MT. I have an FG MB and I also bought a set of Firehammer buggy rims and tires for it. I tried to run it in the pit where I usually run and it was always stuck, the narrower tires just sunk in the dirt and got stuck. Now if I were running it on a track, the buggy tires would work better than the MB tires.

Also, the FG models have the potential to be a MB, MT, or a buggy, just by swapping tires, body and maybe gears. I have the MB and MT body, stock tires, set of alloy 40 series rims/tires and a set of buggy tires. That allows for many different tire/body combinations, all using one chassis. That way I can afford to put all the necessary hop-ups on one chassis and basically have 3 or 4 different rc's.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 AM
No Moa

So its due out in May? (like May never happen) ROFL
Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 AM
hellya

ORIGINAL: No Moa

Is that may of 2006,2007 or 2008
Old 04-06-2006, 11:57 AM
hellya

I prepaid back in November 2005 for 2 baja5s, then tower helped cancel my order by not honoring the prepurchase price

I think its funny how towerhobbies can put out a catalog with the baja5 in it and prices but not honor the prices.

They ship this catalog with orders they send out..........False advertisement[>:]
Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: hellya

I prepaid back in November 2005 for 2 baja5s, then tower helped cancel my order by not honoring the prepurchase price

I think its funny how towerhobbies can put out a catalog with the baja5 in it and prices but not honor the prices.

They ship this catalog with orders they send out..........False advertisement[>:]

ditto..I cancelled my 2 bajas as well, and my friend canceled his too,
Old 04-06-2006, 12:19 PM
98765bb

Delivery is in 2 weeks.yes I realise it could be next year in real life but one of my mates has a FG marder and even he says the baja looks better.each to their own really,but I have booked the day off work to pick my baja up.don't want a FG but may have to eat my words.Lets all wait and see.......................
Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 PM
radio_controlled_mad

you would of been better off buying it from usa at $957 rather than £800
Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 PM
D0G

Man O Man, trying to decide what to do right now for me is like a tennis match, BACK and FORTH, BACK and FORTH...And alittle bit of grunting in amongst the BACK AND FORTH...grrrrr..

Im leaning towards the FG MT just because the place I usually go bash I dont think is suited for a Buggy. Aprox 8 CM clearance, I just dont think is enough.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:30 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the Baja 5b has the pinion & ring gear set up like the FG's on the diff or does it has a pulley type of set up from the layshaft to the diff. The pic's on there web site doe's not show it's type of set up. SO I'm just wondering if anyone know's. THANKS
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 PM
98765bb

$957 sounds a lot better than £800,but I keep getting stung for import duties from the US but not Hong Kong.If some one in the UK is willing to sell me a 5b for $957 I will be there tomorrow,cash in hand............
Old 04-06-2006, 02:07 PM
hellya

You dont have any baja5s for sale in the U.K. I believe there are only 2 vehicle prototypes in cirulation at this time
Old 04-06-2006, 02:10 PM
98765bb

I rung up the main british dealer and april 21st is the (intended)release date for the UK
Old 04-06-2006, 02:33 PM
hellya

Our major distributor for the buggy has this release date.... Dec..... no Jan... no Feb... no March..no April.... mabey May if we are lucky

Special Stock#
LXLJV6

Tower's Low Price

Stock Status
Mid May

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLJV6&P=0

I can almost guarantee your U.K. dealer wont have the buggy within the next 3 weeks of this month of April
Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 PM
98765bb

Maybe but I am sure it will be soonish.If not It will give me time to learn the motorcycles.And the hydrofoam and helicopter which are on the way..........
Old 04-06-2006, 04:37 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: aluminum crusher

Does the Baja 5b has the pinion & ring gear set up like the FG's on the diff or does it has a pulley type of set up from the layshaft to the diff. The pic's on there web site doe's not show it's type of set up. SO I'm just wondering if anyone know's. THANKS

It's simlilar to the FG's other than it has a steel pinion and the engine is bolted directly to the frame without mounts so there's no mesh adjustment needed.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:00 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: badz

ORIGINAL: aluminum crusher

It's simlilar to the FG's other than it has a steel pinion and the engine is bolted directly to the frame without mounts so there's no mesh adjustment needed.
Thanks Badz for your reply...I thought the layshaft pinion gear on the FG was steel and also the spur ring gear[sm=confused.gif]
No motormounts no gear mesh to worry about that's gots to be cool[sm=thumbup.gif]. Would you happen to have some never seen before photo's like from a hobby expo.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:53 AM
Apache-

Saw the Baja in real a few weeks ago in Salou.
They did not run it unfortunately, but on that track it would not have survived 5 laps without breakage.
It looked much weaker than I expected on the wishbones and other parts were also far from rock solid. Displaying the car with oil leakage on all 4 shockers at the piston rod is not quite a good promotion. Really wonder how well the car will hold up, I am more sceptic as I was before.
It was the most colourfull car around though.
If they get it right I see an advantage with the longer shocks / travel it has, that is I think the best thing of the car.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:47 AM
TurtleRacing

HiJACKED from another forum.

Kent Clausen

The first production batch of Baja 5B is done, shipped and on the boat. They will probably hit the hobby stores at the end of the month, so get your orders in now!

Sorry for the delays and thanks for being patient. We took the time to make a bunch of changes that will improve the performance and durability of the Baja 5B. From big things like updated wheels, suspension arms, differential etc. to little things like a new Delrin internal shock adjustment clip that is more consistent and durable than the original nylon part. Changing molds and testing takes time, but the end result will be a better product.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:00 AM
kinggeordie

yeah there dosent seem to be alot of footage on the baja, i would like to see some real vids of it goin through some tuff handling before ill be able to make up my mind!!

they took it bashing in the snow and only took some still shots,spending all that money to go snow bashing in europe you would of thought they would of had a video camera

hpi spent a fortune going to greenland and only took still pictures,a big asian company with all that technology would of bound to took video camera

the 3 videos of the baja is running on sand dunes which camfaluges the behaviour of the cars handling but looks good for background pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.