Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

First Fuelie is on the Way

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:04 PM
SIM2U
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Fuelie is on the Way

Hey thanks a bunch for that...it was helpfull.

In terms of racing it...well, its all contemplation and planning. I still do not know yet, there are too many variables in the decision. I might just decide to bash with it somewhat and be happy with that...? I was going to get a 1/10th jet in all accounts but there is nothing that is available that I want so...the next best thing is on the ground and a big baja would just about do it.

What do you think about the suspension design and chassis flex interms of landings, corners and tortional twists in various situations if I had a sweet motor in it...?

yes my friends was stock, there was no modding at ll that I knew of anyway. But its fairly new and was practically just ran in - give or take about 4 or 7 tanks...?

ORIGINAL: Timmahh

SIM2U, some info for you and a few questions. i ll assume ( hate that word ) your buds Baja was stock with the extension tube still on? sounds like it to me by your description. Pull the Extension off ( or get an XCAN on it ) and you ll see that stock 23 COME RIGHT INTO IT. i drove mine with the extension on for one gallon, then i removed it, did a small retune. differance, was with stock setup, barely get off the line and slow to go up in rpms. once i removed the extention and retuned, i was digging holes from a dead stop, and the spool up was Majorly better. have your buds try this with his baja, im sure you ll be pleasantly surprised. Originally the Baja was Spected with a 27cc motor. no real reason as anyone can tell why they went with the 23. probably got a killer price on them from CY that was too hard to pass up.

my neighbors ( 2 brothers ) both have the baja, One has the ESP Zen 260. the other will have ( soon ) the ESP 30.5 ESP motor. I m going for either the 27 raced ported kit, 28.5 race ported kit, or the ESP 30.5 with the 1mm stroker crank ( effetively makeing it a 28.5 1mm stroked ), OR a GP29 CY and have it ESPd. decisions desicions. on our track, the ESP 260 has much more speed out of the hole, and in the long run. but it, STRICTLY BECUASE OF LOSS OF TRACTION DUE TO MAJOR WHEEL SPIN due to the EXTRA TORQUE< and driver ability) only edges past the stocker baha. on the flat, it smokes the stock. gotta get better traction.

for a Serious Racer, i would go with a ported 23 or 26. start with the GP model motor ( thicker cylinder plateing for more precise porting ability), . I seriously beleive anything more would be WAY to much as you ll get so much more torque, the wheelspin would seriously inpare handling. and on a track at race time, its all about handling and control. both that are severly compromised due to the excess torque created by the bigger engines. besides, on how many tracks can you wot it and hold to the end( only the drag races can this happen on)

we re all bashers here, so the perfect race set up baja isnt our concern, but if i were to contemplate serious racing, i would stick wiht the 23cc or 26 CY or Zen, and have it ported by a reputable porter ( ESP< ODDIE< TS> and others) and then have a tuned pipe built for it. no off the shelf pipe. if your seriously raceing, HAVE THE PIPE MADE!!!!!!!.

hth Timmahh
Old 10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
carpy100

i'd recommend sticking with a stock ZENOAH 23/26. and fitting a proper tune pipe, jetpro being my first choice for the baja(from what i.ve seen on tracks these gave the best power over the X CAN)
i recently fitted the FG carb tune kit with the iridium plug included, it is deffinitely crisper on the throttle and has a quicker low end pick up. it's quite a hard carb to set up perfectly, but tweeking is all part of the fun

Old 10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
caad5

I am not bothered at all by you challenging my HP numbers. It seems that you are the one who is bothered by them though due to ranting and carrying on with God must do your porting and ill give you 50k and my first born etc etc. Sorry to disappoint but the numbers are not inflated and the engines are ported by Suefert Tuning in Germany and come with a dyno sheet and have been reverified here in Aus on another dyno and sometimes they equal or are like 0.1 to 0.2 of a HP off the dyno sheet provided which is due to climate, temperature and humidity at the time of the run.

And since you always mention the standard Zenoah figures well you should also mention that the stock 2.9HP is at 14000 RPM but if you look at the dyno sheet for the ported engine you will notice that peak power is at 19000 RPM so that makes a difference as well.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 PM
carpy100

[quote]ORIGINAL: SIM2U

In terms of racing it...well, its all contemplation and planning. I still do not know yet, there are too many variables in the decision. I might just decide to bash with it somewhat and be happy with that...? I was going to get a 1/10th jet in all accounts but there is nothing that is available that I want so...the next best thing is on the ground and a big baja would just about do it.

What do you think about the suspension design and chassis flex interms of landings, corners and tortional twists in various situations if I had a sweet motor in it...?

you deffinitely need to put thicker shock oil in it, i'd try 5-7000wt fg oil.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:13 PM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: carpy100

i recently fitted the FG carb tune kit with the iridium plug included, it is deffinitely crisper on the throttle and has a quicker low end pick up. it's quite a hard carb to set up perfectly, but tweeking is all part of the fun

i was looking at those kits myself - did you get if from ebay??? - the price put me off £50 for a carb & plug,prob get it cheaper shipped from usa,worth it though to get rid of the bogging
Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
ryan@ddm

ORIGINAL: caad5
you will notice that peak power is at 19000 RPM so that makes a difference as well.
Hmmm... you should pay more attention to the dyno sheets you hold in such high regard. Do you even know what you are talking about?

Peak power is at approx 13.7K. At 19K rpms, the engine is producing less than 1.5 HP...

Old 10-24-2006, 01:34 PM
carpy100

ORIGINAL: radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: carpy100

i was looking at those kits myself - did you get if from ebay??? - the price put me off £50 for a carb & plug,prob get it cheaper shipped from usa,worth it though to get rid of the bogging

yeh, got mine from ddm in states.i would pm ryan about it to check you get the right throttle arm.

loving the sig by the way
Old 10-24-2006, 01:47 PM
caad5

No I wasnt meaning that it makes 5.5HP at 19000rpm I was trying to say that the stock engine makes power to 14000rpm while the ported engine continues its power range till 19000rpm. That the power is still up there it just doesnt drop off to nothing after its made 5.5HP.

And why are you insisting that this cannot be done. Apart from the fact this is real not falsified, what is so hard about going from 2.9HP to 5.5HP Its 2.6Hp increase. Its not like im saying that porting alone makes like 10HP increase.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
ryan@ddm

I was trying to say that the stock engine makes power to 14000rpm while the ported engine continues its power range till 19000rpm.
The stock engine makes power well past 14K rpms. The stock engine makes PEAK power at 14K rpms, but it continues to make power and revs past 18,500+ rpm. Your responses indicate to me that you don't have even a basic grasp of 2-strokes, so this discussion is pretty much pointless...

I am aware of who Seufert Tuning is and I know their work is good. They have the performance on the track to back it up.

Does a well ported piston port engine substantially outperform a stock one? Yes indeed. Do you more than double the horsepower? Sorry, you don't.

what is so hard about going from 2.9HP to 5.5HP Its 2.6Hp increase.
As I noted earlier, the stock G260RC with canister muffler and stock airbox does not make 2.9 HP. It's actually less than 2.5HP. The Zenoah number is measured WITHOUT filter or muffler. Please, if you are going to talk figures, at least get them straight.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:39 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

If you guys can get 10hp out of a 26cc engine, that is impressive, my NSR50 Stock is only 7.2hp, and that is a 50cc engine,15k on rev's
Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM
IONIC-M

I have a ZENOAH 26 with a K@n filter and the marder jetpro pipe in my FIREHAMMER. How much HP and RPM do you think it is pushing?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:55 PM
ryan@ddm

ORIGINAL: IONIC-M

I have a ZENOAH 26 with a K@n filter and the marder jetpro pipe in my FIREHAMMER. How much HP and RPM do you think it is pushing?
Questions like these are common, and the answers are often no more than speculation.

but here are a couple datapoints and rules of thumb for you to consider:

Stock G260RC is 3 HP.

A k&N filter will not materially affect your power.

A good tuned pipe can add 30ish to 40ish percent to the peak HP of a two stroke engine.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:05 PM
IONIC-M

I was told that the JETPRO adds 1.5 hp. So does that mean it is about 4.5hp then? I was just asking. i am new to large scale.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 PM
ryan@ddm

ORIGINAL: IONIC-M

I was told that the JETPRO adds 1.5 hp. So does that mean it is about 4.5hp then? I was just asking. i am new to large scale.

A value in that range, give or take a third of a HP or so, is a reasonable estimate.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:21 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yet there are quite a number of them out there and even some Zenoah 23cc's making 5.1 and it is all porting nothing else - no crank changes, no piston changes, no crank case mods nothing. Just porting the intake and exhaust ports and widening those ports.
If that is true (and I'm not doubting your word) is there any reason to even worry with a tuned pipe or higher CC motor? [] It sounds like porting is the simplest solution to a great power increase, period. I mean, why bother with a tuned exhaust pipe that may get damaged during a rough landing, or sink money into another motor, if all you need to do is port the stock 23CC?

..............I know this is a heated debate, but I'm trying to learn a little something from the argument.

Jason
Old 10-24-2006, 06:33 PM
ryan@ddm

ORIGINAL: icecreamslick

I mean, why bother with a tuned exhaust pipe that may get damaged during a rough landing, or sink money into another motor, if all you need to do is port the stock 23CC?
Jason, you asked a good question. It's fundamental to the issue at hand.

For maximum performance, a two-stroke engine MUST have a tuned pipe. Because the intake and exhaust stroke are the same, a two-stroke motor needs help pulling burned fuel out, and keeping fresh mix in the cylinder before compression.

Have a look here for some basic info about 2-stroked and tuned pipes.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke.htm
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/em-pipes.html

A two-stroke engine without a tuned pipe is only reaching part of its potential.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:35 PM
J_D

a tune pipe is alot cheaper to gain power than a good porting job.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
ryan@ddm

ORIGINAL: J_D

a tune pipe is alot cheaper to gain power than a good porting job.
Not necessarily. Here in the states, many of the top porters will fully work an engine for approx $150 or so...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:40 PM
J_D

wow!, thats nice, costs alot more here haha.... maybe cos they dont do many of these engines here., i dont think ive ever seen a goped haha. and 1/5th aint too big here.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
rchertz

O HEAR WE GO AGAIN BAJAS NOW OLD,, NOT NEW ANYMORE,AND THE FLAWS ARE SHOWED LIKE ANY NEW MODEL,SO BE EASY,,
I WAS QUIT IMPRESSED WITH B5 TILL I SEEN IT ON A TRACK,,(seen a cpl now)IT WERNT PRETTY[]
I THINK THE B5 HAS A NICHE, IN THE JUS WANA THRASH an bash market,which aint a bad thing,,but on a track its out of its depth-BIG TIME,its ok against std marders but thats about it, maybe future mods will help,but @ the moment iv never seen a buggy act so aratic on a track!!
mk2 shud be shorter and have more low end torq,,(+a bit more robust,shafts wheels etc etc)
this aint a neg comment just an observation!!
so dont start throwing toys lol lol-or hershey bars..[:@]
Old 10-24-2006, 08:46 PM
speedygonzales

im not sure right now. but wt your refering to "nitro/rc shock oil?"

the baja shocks take the oil you use in bikes, dont put nitro shock oil in them.

im pritty sure you kno. just making sure and for others not to make the mistake.

this thread is jumping allot.[X(]
[quote]ORIGINAL: carpy100

ORIGINAL: SIM2U

you deffinitely need to put thicker shock oil in it, i'd try 5-7000wt fg oil.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:17 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: speedygonzales

im not sure right now. but wt your refering to "nitro/rc shock oil?"

the baja shocks take the oil you use in bikes, dont put nitro shock oil in them.

im pritty sure you kno. just making sure and for others not to make the mistake.

this thread is jumping allot.[X(]

You mean Motorcyle shock oil correct?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Earth Surfer

caad5, those look like very good numbers (some of the best for a piston port G260) for good porting--and a good pipe. If you have a E-mail for the tuner in Germany, I would like to E-mail him myself to ask him.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:49 AM
caad5

Earth Surfer the engine is ported by Suefert Tuning in Germany. When you order and receive the engine it comes in a sealed box and then you find out what HP it makes when you open it and read the Dyno Sheet. You can't ask for a specific HP just either a ported G230 or G260. And at the time I ordered mine a couple of other people got theirs and we basically took a sealed box each and then opened it up to see what power the engine was making. All the engines were Zenoah G260 in the order and they all had different dyno readings. Mine was 5.59 HP another persons was 5.47, another 5.51 etc. At the very least by each engine having a different figure shows that its not falsified coz they could make all the engines have the same power. I dont have an email for the tuner as the engines are ordered through FG using an FG part number.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:07 AM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Just a shot but maybe chevyman_de would know them and be able to provide a contact addy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.