Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:11 AM
GOT2GO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive

I've been around rcing for about 6 years. I think I am about ready to jump to the fuelie side of the hobby. Do I need 4 wheel drive or is 2 wheel drive good enough? I just a backyard basher. I've only had 4WD nitros in the past. These things are massive, so I didn't know about ground clearance.Any suggestions would help.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Skcus Ogitrev
Banned

Default RE: 4 wheel drive

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to go 4wd, there are several good rigs out there. the MCD makes a nice 4wd, it has a lot of plastic parts, but I have really only heard good things. The Baja is 2wd, but has an amazing amount of aftermarket support here in the USA. FG has a pretty good availability in the US now thanks to guys like VSModelsport and Largescale RC, but they tend to run a bit on the spendy side. FG offers all 4wds on their offroads.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:22 PM
jimjeep

monster models offer as much if not more ground clearance than the smaller nitro trucks. For the most part 2wd largescale ripps through about as much as a 4wd nitro will, however if you run through a lot of loose deep stuff (like piled twigs or leaves or climb steep hills) a 4wd would be better at not getting stuck as much as a 2wd would. I usually run on grass, dirt, or pavement so my 2wd monster has no problem (but I still wish it was 4wd and I'm working on that). It can go where a T-maxx might not but it can't go where my GST can go through. 2wd's are usually a little less prone to breakage and are also a little less maintenance. 4wd will allow you more stomping traction for extreme bashing fun. Just be prepared to spend a bit more in terms of maintenence, repair, and upgrades. Buy a good name model that has good parts support, take care of it, have a lot of fun, and you might like it better than the nitro's! Have fun!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:35 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, 4WD 1/5 and 1/6 cars and trucks are absurdly overpriced. There isnt much more to them than the 2WD models, but you pay a lot more. I've only had 2wds so far - and theyre fine. The same advantages you see in other scales with 4wd are true with large scale too, so its up to you. Im constantly considering getting an MCD Baja 1000, which is 4wd.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 PM
hellya

lauterbacher has a new 4x4 buggy thats got all the alloy upgrades for about 200 Euros more than their L3 mega cross model 1400 euros plus shipping
Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: hellya

lauterbacher has a new 4x4 buggy thats got all the alloy upgrades for about 200 Euros more than their L3 mega cross model 1400 euros plus shipping
right from the LB site they are listing the mega at 1900 euros .. :O
Old 12-17-2007, 09:29 PM
jimjeep

I personally can't wait to see this thing when it's ready! I'm glad that I waited to get one of these because the Hurricane sounds like it will be much better out of the box and I won't have to spend the extra bucks buying all the upgrades that the original Titan may have needed. I will have to ask the owner of the hobbyshop I "weekend-lite" at if he can order some of these! That Asgard body looks great on the truck. It's a great break from the norm of the plain old pickup truck. I'd like to see that come with it. Coommme oon budget and work with me now!