Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New to the 1/5 scale RC world

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
scarletboa
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to the 1/5 scale RC world

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

Another day here in clod hopper land...Dam cold 20* degrees with 40 too 50 MPH wind .......I was going to check out the micro air brush I had sitting NIB
for better that a year now..The oldest son asked what I was going to do...When I told him ..He said wait don't run any paint in that air brush...
I want it for my cake decorating.....for small detail work..it has a small needle ..which I need...I said fine you give me what the air brush cost and it's yours.....
...Now ya know Why I have 2 or 3 different air brush's....with different needles for different type of detail work.......I have another air brush That I use anyway....
I just wanted to check out the micro air brush for doing the garden troll's...Super fine detail down to 1/32" for fine line .......My Favorite air brush's are IWANA

So I did manage to get the mini air compressor set up and working with my other air brush......Started on 1 of the miss's garden troll's...That way will give me
some time to get back into the swing of air brushing again........Like riding a bicycle... ya never forget....I like the Fastcolor or Acrylic Paint to work with water base
easy to use and easy clean up....So in a couple days I will get started on the beetle pro body..I don't want to screw that up..big bucks for the shell....
......................All Replies Welcome............AKASlawhammer.................. ................

wait.....your SON does cake decorating? with fine details? i don't mean to be offensive but, isn't that for girls?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:06 PM
associatedrules

Awesome truck Slawhammer! Has anyone here used a different mixture than 25:1 for the fuel mixture? I know in the manual for the Fire hammer it says to go up to 40:1 after the "break in" tank. I just got a clone of the Firehammer call a TQ, and am completely new to the large scale world. It seems to be too rich even after leaning the carb out, and I have already fouled out 1 spark plug.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:58 PM
slawhammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scarlet; lot of men are bakers & cake decorators...Good money to be made...He get's $15 to $20 dollars for simple cakes and over $100 dollars for wedding cakes....
I have seen him make a extra $500 on a week end....Got to go where the money is to be made...People want cakes for lot of different reasons..I showed him how to air brush.....I did cakes 30 years ago for extra pocket money on week ends...easy $200 $300 dollars.....You might just look into that your self for a new job.......AKASlawhammer

Associated:..there are many parts that can be used on your TQ... from firehammer parts and from Fg Mader....
Yes ...your manual says oil/fuel mix 40:1....I still like to use 25:1 mix my self..I know the engine is getting goog lube that way....
How new is your TQ? you said your fouling spark plugs....Get a good 2 stroke oil....Go to a motorcycle shop ask for a good synthic oil...
good oil makes a difference....stay with 25:1 oil mix....A lot of information in this thread will also apply to your TQ as well.....Best to you.....
....................All Replies Welcome...............AKASlawhammer
Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM
associatedrules

Thanks for your advise. I have had it for one week and have ran down one gallon of gas with crap oil. I just bought some new synthetic oil made by Craftsman at sears, and am about to mix some fuel for the weekend. I have read this entire thread and it is one of the reasons I went ahead and bought the truck.What oil are you using now?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:35 PM
slawhammer

Associated: There are a lot of answers to using 2 stroke oils....I my self like and use KLOTZ...
You can start to lean out you truck engine..But if you live where it is cold out ..say 30 degree's or lower you want to run
on the rich side..as the air is dence and you have to use more fuel...make small adjustments when you do your carb.....
Also my suggestion is to get a good radio system..for the money Futaba 3pm is good from Tower.. and a electronic modified...Pico kill switch...
Hope this helps.........All Replies Welcome.....AKASlawhammer
Old 01-01-2009, 06:51 PM
associatedrules

Yep, first thing I did before I ran it was install a Futaba FASST receiver so I could use my 3PM with it. Stock radios are garbage! Being in central Florida cold weather is never really an issue, just humidity. The kill switch will be next for me. Have you started the paint on the Beetle body yet?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
scarletboa

as far as oil ratios go, i liek to run the first gallon 1:25 and after that, run 1:32. there's people telling me 1:25 and there's people telling me 1:40. so, i'm just running in the middle. there is a small power increase when using less oil. your engine just runs a little hotter. i have some serious overheating problems with my nitros in the summer (115F ambient temperature) and the klotz oil i use is also approved for use with alcohol fuels so i think i'll add just a little oil to my nitrotane fuel. i bet that'll solve my overheating problems. i might also run 1:25 in the summer if my baja starts running hot.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:29 PM
slawhammer

Assocated: As to the beetle pro body being painted....Not yet...maybe this Sat..The miss's had a small project she wanted me to paint for her...
So I have that just about all air brushed up ..minor detail left then ..finish coat......
You will want to change out the pinion 19th for a steel one.....Also do the screen mod....

Scarlet: both oil mixs are fine...25:1 or 32:1......As to your nitro 30% fuel cools better.....As to my nitro truck the head temp likes to be
at 280* degrees...........You must have your nitro leaned way out for running hot in summer time....
As to a baja I can not answer much there I do not have one...Maybe engine question is all for the baja.....Now my son is getting a 5 SS soon..
for answers to your baja........ best bet would be to go to the baja forum....I can't help ya there.....All Replies Welcome....AKASlawhammer
Old 01-02-2009, 02:30 AM
scarletboa

ORIGINAL: slawhammer

Assocated: As to the beetle pro body being painted....Not yet...maybe this Sat..The miss's had a small project she wanted me to paint for her...
So I have that just about all air brushed up ..minor detail left then ..finish coat......
You will want to change out the pinion 19th for a steel one.....Also do the screen mod....

Scarlet: both oil mixs are fine...25:1 or 32:1......As to your nitro 30% fuel cools better.....As to my nitro truck the head temp likes to be
at 280* degrees...........You must have your nitro leaned way out for running hot in summer time....
As to a baja I can not answer much there I do not have one...Maybe engine question is all for the baja.....Now my son is getting a 5 SS soon..
for answers to your baja........ best bet would be to go to the baja forum....I can't help ya there.....All Replies Welcome....AKASlawhammer

i wasn't saying that my baja runs hot or that its having problems; i was saying that if it does, i'll use more oil. i appreciate the suggestion though.

my nitros can run pig-rich in the sumer and still be above 250F. i like to keep temps at 270F or under. it is something about the 0-8% humidity combined with the 110-115F temps and the high altitude that makes the engines run hot. everyone with nitro here has this problem. EVEN THE HOBBY STORE OWNER. although, some of us have this problem worse than others. some people can't even have fun with their nitros because it is running so rich it doesn't go faster than 15mph. some people have only a slight heat problem and have a blast. then there's people who run their engines at around 330-350F and get only 3-4 gallons of fuel in between each rebuild.

i think that smaller engines run cooler. my x-cellerator has a .18 and it runs nice and cool. i can run semi-rich and still run with 260-270F temps. my savage has a .28 and it needs to run a little richer. instead of the 45mph i see in the winter, i can only hit about 35mph in the summer while hitting up to 280F. when i had my chaos with a .05 engine, it ran with a good max. performance tune while hitting only 250F.

i like to use traxxas fuel in the summer because it has a nice generous oil content and i use losi nitrotane in the winter becasue i get a little more performance out of it. maybe i can keep the nitrotane performance without needing to richen it too much by adding a little klotz oil.

you should try mixing the oil ratio 32:1 for your next gallon. there will be a noticeable difference in power. in comparison to nitro, it's like turning the HSN 1/4 clockwise. more throttle response and better power.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
slawhammer

Scarlet: I have used both 40:1 and 32:1 oil/fuel mix before....I felt the internal parts were not getting a good lube
with those oil mix's ..So I use 25:1 mix.......Well I think I can start on the beetle pro body now.........I got the project done
for the miss's......Now I am no painter by any means....I can apply paint is about all and hope for good results......
enclosed miss's garden project.........All Replies Welcome.........AKASlawhammer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45544.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1101426  
Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Mazda ute

Sorry mate my bad.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 AM
slawhammer

Nice baja....But you need to start your own thread..not hijack mine.....That way other people can help you out
with your baja.......I can't help you..I have a firehammer and this is for my firehammer project..To help other
owners who also own a firehammer or like Rc Unit...TQ....XCR ..Carson........Best of luck to you with your baja...
AKASlawhammer
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM
slawhammer

Here we are again in clod hopper land..nice sunny day..chilly out 28* degrees....So as to a progress report on the firehammer....
as some of you know I have been making a support system for the beetle pro shell...Well thats almost done..couple minor things there yet..
But will post up some pictures..this is all proto type for now has yet to be tested out..for strength and function.....as to will hold up to roll over's
The wing is finished with hand painted name and sponsor decals..........Now as to the beetle pro shell.....I am working on that..I have a couple
colours applied and need to do another colour yet ..before applying backing colour....Followed by the finish coat for protection.....
Like I said... I am no Painter by any means..There are a lot you folks who can do a much better painting application than I can....
Now you have to remember I am 64 years old and shaky hands...But I think it will look nice..anyway I will be able to see The firehammer
at a gate distance away..say like 200 to300 yards away......The beetle pro shell should be done some time late tonight or if not sunday morning....
Enclosed pictures of the firehammer progress.........All Replies Welcome.......AKASlawhammer

Name:	Us55179.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1102429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65732.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1102430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63676.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1102431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92320.jpg
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1102432  
Old 01-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Lars from Norway

As long as the body looks as good as the spoiler,this will turn out very goodHope there will be pics of the body tonight or tomorrow
Old 01-04-2009, 01:17 PM
slawhammer

Another day here in clod hopper land.....Nasty day..freezing rain...Forecast that for the rest of the week coming up....
Now as promised to so many people who have been with me on this firehammer project....There are way too many names to list
..Like I said I have never painted a body shell from the inside out..I am no artist or painter...I can apply paint and make some thing
look desent....Ther were some minor issues with little bleed from the masking tape..man I hate that stuff...........
I used 5 different colours to get this eye popping effect.....I know ...I can see this at 200 yards....I am satified with the paint look.....
I will get another body later this year........So this is my very first body shell painted from the inside out...........
Feel free to make comments on the paint job......Enclosed pictures of new Bettle Pro Shell..................
..................All Replies Welcome......AKASlawhammer

Name:	Ax72778.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1103286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55073.jpg
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1103287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14812.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1103288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34035.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1103289  
Old 01-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Lars from Norway

Ahhh,finally!I like the combinations,very cool!Very good to be the first time painting too
Old 01-04-2009, 03:56 PM
speedy.d

love the v dub looks great im sure the photo doesnt do justice for the bright colors, i bet it looks real good in the sun light ! great work
Old 01-04-2009, 04:12 PM
mooman007uk

Turned out real good Roger, I like the half open door windows...nice touch.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

That looks great!!!!!!
I like all the updates.
Ive been looking at you pic of the gear set-up and I need to do the same on mine.
Again, I really like the paint.. Great job!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
slawhammer

Lars: Thank you on the paint job....I have painted outside the shells before..I knew if I took my time and had it preped good..I would be ok
The colours kept changing with ideas....But Like I said I needed it to be bright to see.....Long wait... but well worth the wait to see the results...
I was getting bored with the truck look...Seems like I have always had a truck.....So I didn't want too loose intrest in the 1/5 scale hobby...
Thanks for your comments.......AKASlawhammer
Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
slawhammer

Speedy: I haven't had any sunshine here in days..But i am sure It pop for shine.....Glad you like the look..
Thanks for your comment....AKASlawhammer
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
slawhammer

Mooman:: Thanks for the compliment on the paint job.....I noticed I need to touch up the windows..looks like
the white back up paint got on the top edge...The firehammer needed a new look......
The beetle pro shell came that way with the windows cut half open.........
Thanks again for your comment....AKASlawhammer
Old 01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
slawhammer

Teamchrome:Hey my friend..Yeah I know you have been following this project as well as adding some advice along the way...
As for the gear plate..That was from RCU Member Hellya...I tried to order from Danial's pit stop.....Oh and I also got the gear carrier & 48 th
spur gear from Hellya.......I am sure if you go back thru the thread you will find information on this stuff....You should be able to get a alloy
gear plate from powerslideracing....Anodized blue...Think DDM or Innovative on the gear carrier and gears.....you will have to check.......
Thanks for your vote on the paint job...I had a good time doing it.....The ideas were changed I don't know how many times...And the
retaping any be half a dozen times.. for design change........I still have more up grades and updates to follow.....Never ending project...
All Replies Wellcome...AKASlawhammer

EDIT: Correction-Spur Gear
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 PM
associatedrules

Did you have to get the FG roll cage to make the Beetle body fit? Great job on the paint also, it really turned out nice.

Just looked back at your other posts and noticed it looks like you customized the roll cage to fit. Would it be better to go with the actual FG roll cage, if it fits?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:18 AM
scarletboa

what rims and tires are those? what kind of hubs do the rims have? (19mm square, 24mm hex, etc.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.