Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

took a break, but now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 PM
tashspop
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default took a break, but now?

i'm thinking of taking on a large scale. i have no idea which ones to look at. i know i'd like to stick under $1000, and the further under that the better. i'm thinking i want 4wd as a top priority, but not set instone. from what i'm seeing it looks like there are alot of interest in the redcat's new offerings, but are the smartech's on par or better, considering price! how do these stack up against fs's rides? as far as i can tell, these are what i need to look at in my price range.

i forgot to add i'm looking off road for bashing.

any help here guys? also where's the best places to shop for these guy's?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: took a break, but now?

check the hpi baja out ,its a nice buggy and a truck too.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 PM
tashspop

i'm completely overlooking that on purpose becuase 2wd.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

Redcat makes a 4wd buggy and mt. Both are below a grand, and from what I hear, are pretty decent for the price.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:25 AM
tashspop

bumping this back up.
i've done some reading and i see alot of support for the redcat vehicals. but i'd like a straight answer as to how the redcat compairs to the fs monster truck, and the smartech titan. looks like the redcats do have the smaller engines, and to me, the fs (mcd clone) just seem to look dated on their design in compairison to the other two. but idk, i'm just learning here.

i'm not worried about local support, because id be luck to find a simple item for even a baja so i'll be ordering everything.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Be wary of the FS engines, they exagerate the size of their engines. Check out this thread where at least two FS owners found out that their 30cc engines were in fact only 26cc engines (FS lied):

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8458318/tm.htm

All three of these RCs are clones, FS and Redcat are MCD clones and Smartech is an FG clone. At least the Redcat is much more original and not as much a direct clone.

Out of these three you chose, I would strongly suggest you get the Redcat one over FS and Smartech. Also, if you are only going to bash around, get the MT version of the Redcat, unless you like the nimbleness of the buggy.
Here is why I suggest Redcat over the others:
For one, the Redcat uses the reliable and better CY engine. The others have clone engines that are less than reliable than the CY. Sellers might offer the Smartech with a CY engine, and that would be an upgrade if you can do that.
Two: Out of the clones, the Redcat is very well proven and it stands up to alot.
Three: There are TONs of hop-ups for the Redcat; for every one on-line store that sells FS or Smartech hop-ups, the Redcat has no less than FIVE stores that sells hop-ups and parts. Hit the net and you will literally see that many stores that support Redcat over the others.
Four: Redcat has stellar customer service. They will help you out in a minute. Look up their rating in the BBB and you will see very few disappointed RedCat owners on account of CS. The others might fart around on you before taking action.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 PM
tashspop

that was my next issue, buggy or mt. i was considering the buggy because its cheaper so i can use the difference for upgrades or what ever. coming from the smaller scales i was thinking it should clear most obsticals i'm used to and if i need bigger, i can change it over with upgrades. is there a real difference between the buggy/monster truck besides wheel/body and gearing? if thats it, i don't really see where the price difference comes from.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

The 4WD Smartechs are not straight FG clones like their 2WD models. The Smartech Titan uses shaft drive while the FG is belt driven. There are other considerable differences. There are several experienced gasser-owners who can share the Smartech Titan (or 4WD buggy) experiences.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:54 PM
hellya

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

All three of these RCs are clones, FS and Redcat are MCD clones and Smartech is an FG clone. At least the Redcat is much more original and not as much a direct clone.

Out of these three you chose, I would strongly suggest you get the Redcat one over FS and Smartech. Also, if you are only going to bash around, get the MT version of the Redcat, unless you like the nimbleness of the buggy.
Here is why I suggest Redcat over the others:
For one, the Redcat uses the reliable and better CY engine. The others have clone engines that are less than reliable than the CY. Sellers might offer the Smartech with a CY engine, and that would be an upgrade if you can do that.
Two: Out of the clones, the Redcat is very well proven and it stands up to alot.
Three: There are TONs of hop-ups for the Redcat; for every one on-line store that sells FS or Smartech hop-ups, the Redcat has no less than FIVE stores that sells hop-ups and parts. Hit the net and you will literally see that many stores that support Redcat over the others.
Four: Redcat has stellar customer service. They will help you out in a minute. Look up their rating in the BBB and you will see very few disappointed RedCat owners on account of CS. The others might fart around on you before taking action.
Smartech 4x4s are not a copy of any vehicle or set up like any other vehicle...FS and the redcat are very similar in design to the MCD (they may not be clones but they look indentical to the MCD)

I own all of these vehicles except for the MCD (refuse to pay over $1000 for a rolling chassis)

I would suggest like stated the redcat has a nice aftermarket and stock parts support.....
Old 03-10-2009, 02:01 PM
mooman007uk

yep, rampage isn't a clone either...it shares the same MCD configuration and the gears and dogbones fit and that's it..no other interchangable parts.

If you want 4x4 under a grand a redcat would be the one to get, with a few necessary upgrades they are extremely tough. you'll also want a 28.5 top end kit to power up a bit and you're good to go. I hammer the snot out of my MT and have had little downtime or outlay. Parts are cheap and readily availlable and so are most of the hop ups and aftersales back up is excellent...the company actually listens to it's buyers.

The MT is hard on diff cup shafts though due to the big wheels so a buggy may be the best choice and with hpi adapters you can run all 5b/5t tires/wheels. check out redcatrampage forum for everything rampage, plenty of good info to help you make a choice.

Problem with smartech is lack of support and parts availability and they're more expensive too and I'd rate the ramp higher than both the titan and FS.. it handles great and jumps real well
Old 03-10-2009, 04:43 PM
tashspop

sounds like i have a plan then, now i just need to finish selling some stuff off.