Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

KM BAJA FACTORY CARB SETTINGS

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 AM
sparky 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KM BAJA FACTORY CARB SETTINGS

Hey there i put a 28.5cc top end kit onto my km baja and it was running very well but was a little rich,

so i tried making small adjustments to the carb settings and no matter where i put the needles at it runs the same

but only with one more problem

now it wont run with out the choke half on[sm=disappointed.gif]

does anyone know the factory settings for a km baja carb?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72910.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1152826  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:14 AM
sparky 25

Default RE: KM BAJA FACTORY CARB SETTINGS

Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM
sparky 25

ORIGINAL: sparky 25

Hey there i put a 28.5cc top end kit onto my km baja and it was running very well but was a little rich,

so i tried making small adjustments to the carb settings and no matter where i put the needles at it runs the same

I thought i had the problem sorted when i noticed a damp spot around the carb,

i took the carb and header off and used rtv sealant on

the header and carb put it back together then let it sit over night before trying to start it,

next day i went out and set the carb to 1 1/4 turns out on the low speed needle and 1 1/2 on the high speed needle

and tried to start it, it fired up with the choke and when i turned the choke off and gave it a pull it fired again but died out,

after some time trying every combination of needle settings i could only get it to run with half choke on, so i gave up,

took it back inside and took a real good look around it and saw that the head gasket was a bit damp at the back of the engine,

i pulled it apart checked for scrapes inside the liner and on the piston but they were fine,

so i used rtv sealant on the bottom casing and put the gasket onto that and put rtv sealant on top of the gasket and tightened down

the head and saw a small bead of sealant evenly around the joint,

then once again left it over night before trying to start it again,

went and tried to get it running again put the choke on and gave it a pull it fired up, so i put the choke off and gave it another pull and

it fired again but died out again,

i had the same carb settings as before and then tried numerous needle settings but cannot get it to run without the choke on half way

what do you think is wrong with it? any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont know where to go from here.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM
rawpwr
My Feedback: (1)

sounds to me like you have junk in your carb and not letting it get fuel. take it apart and blow it out with some carb spray.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I thought i had the problem sorted when i noticed a damp spot around the carb,

i took the carb and header off and used rtv sealant on

the header and carb put it back together then let it sit over night before trying to start it,

next day i went out and set the carb to 1 1/4 turns out on the low speed needle and 1 1/2 on the high speed needle

and tried to start it, it fired up with the choke and when i turned the choke off and gave it a pull it fired again but died out,

after some time trying every combination of needle settings i could only get it to run with half choke on, so i gave up,

took it back inside and took a real good look around it and saw that the head gasket was a bit damp at the back of the engine,

i pulled it apart checked for scrapes inside the liner and on the piston but they were fine,

so i used rtv sealant on the bottom casing and put the gasket onto that and put rtv sealant on top of the gasket and tightened down

the head and saw a small bead of sealant evenly around the joint,

then once again left it over night before trying to start it again,

went and tried to get it running again put the choke on and gave it a pull it fired up, so i put the choke off and gave it another pull and

it fired again but died out again,

i had the same carb settings as before and then tried numerous needle settings but cannot get it to run without the choke on half way

what do you think is wrong with it? any help would be greatly appreciated as i dont know where to go from here.

When you put the motor back to gether, was the ring in the correct location?
Have your check the coil gap?
Sounds to me like a leak some where in the motor..
Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 PM
sparky 25

Thanks for the input,

i went and checked the high and low speed needles on the carb,

and when i took the high end screw out it was fine but the low end screw was missing a piece on the end,[:@]

gona look on ebay for a new set of needles and go from there hope this gets me going again i miss taking the baja for a bash

just having to use my savage until i get the baja up and running,

thanks also srt10 for your suggestions,[sm=thumbup.gif]

but the coil gap is ok and the piston ring is seated properly, just hope there are not any air leaks on the motor.

Name:	Av68545.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1156239  
Old 03-12-2009, 05:15 PM
DUSTIN72

hello, if the needles dont fix the problem check the carb internally, it may be a torn diaphram. it may also be as simple as just alittle dirt like mentioned. the stock settings you are using are correct, also once the buggy is running it shouldnt take much adjusment of those to get it running really good. sometimes an adjustment is so small that you can hardly tell it even turned.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:35 PM
tim6389

is this the kit you got?

[link=http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4170/.f]28.5[/link]
Old 03-13-2009, 03:14 PM
sparky 25

It is very similar in what comes with the kit,

but mine was purchased on ebay from a guy in hong kong the fit and finish was excellent

and best of all it only cost 29.99 pounds sterling

I tried to get a link but the ebay member is no longer a registered user and it wont display any links to it

Name:	Ay74117.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1156940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24293.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1156941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62324.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.5 KB